Kailash Vijayvargiya is an Indian politician, who is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He has served in various key positions including the mayor of Indore and cabinet minister in the Madhya Pradesh Government. In 2015, he was appointed as the National General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Kailash Vijayvargiya was born on Sunday, 13 May 1956 (age 67 years; as of 2023) in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He did his schooling at Government Higher Secondary School Nanda Nagar, Indore (1974). He attended P. M. B. Gujarati Science College in Indore to pursue a Bachelor of Science in 1979. In 2002, Kailash obtained an LLB from Indore Cristian College affiliated with Devi Ahaliya University, Indore. Kailash Vijayvargiya – MyNeta While he was studying in the first year of college, he joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and actively participated in various social activities, events, and campaigns.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
He hails from a middle-class family in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Shankar Dayal Vijavargiya, was a politician.
Wife & Children
Kailash Vijayvargiya is married to Asha Vijayvargiya, a businesswoman. Together, they have two sons, Akash Vijayvargiya and Kalpesh Vijayvargiya. Both of them are politicians.
880/9, Nandanagar, Indore, Madhya Pradesh
Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM)
Soon after pursuing his graduation in 1979, Kailash Vijayvargiya entered politics by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party’s youth wing Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM). In 1983, he contested the Indore Municipal Corporation elections and became a Councillor. During his term, Kailash brought several positive changes in Indore’s infrastructure and public services. Kailash was appointed as the President of the standing committee in 1985. In the same year, he became the state coordinator of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. In 1993, he was made the in charge of Gujarat as the National Minister of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
During the 2000 Municipal Corporation Elections in Indore, he gained maximum votes in his favour and was elected as the Mayor, becoming the first mayor to be elected directly by the voters of the city. In the same year, he was appointed as the President of the All India Council of Mayors. Kailash was re-elected as President of All India Council of Mayors in 2001 and was also invited to be a part of the Preparatory Committee of the World Earth Summit held in China. In 2003, he was nominated as the president of the South Asia Mayors’ Council and led the Indian Voluntary Organisation’s team at the World Earth Summit in Durban.
Madhya Pradesh Vidhan Sabha Elections
Kailash Vijayvargiya has won the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Elections six-times (never lost an assembly elections) in 1990, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008, and 2013.
Cabinet Minister of Madhya Pradesh
Kailash served as a cabinet minister in the Madhya Pradesh Government for around 12 years before he was handed over BJP’s central leadership. On 8 December 2003, Kailash Vijayvargiya was sworn in as a cabinet minister in the Madhya Pradesh Government, handling the portfolios of Public Works, Parliamentary Affairs, Urban Administration, and Development. After a period of six months, he was given the portfolios of Religious Trusts, Endowment, and Rehabilitation. On 27 August 2004, Kailash joined the Babulal Gaur Council of Ministers as Public Works Minister. Vijayvargiya was re-inducted into Shivraj Singh Chouhan’s Council of Ministers on 4 December 2005 and was accountable for the portfolios of Public Works, Information Technology, and Science & Technology. Following the 2008 Legislative Assembly Elections in Madhya Pradesh, Kailash was appointed as the Minister of IT and Industries under Shivraj Singh Chouhan. During his term as an IT Minister, Kailash brought around 17 IT companies including TCS and Infosys to Indore. He also organised Global investor Meet in Madhya Pradesh, which was one of his biggest initiatives. He was also involved in finalizing 259 MOUs for setting up projects worth Rs 4.31 Trillion. After the 2013 Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Elections, Vijayvargiya became the cabinet minister for the third time, handling the portfolio of Urban Development. On 28 December 2023, Kailash was sworn in as a minister in the Madhya Pradesh cabinet.
In 1992, Kailash Vijayvargiya was appointed as BJP’s state (Madhya Pradesh) vice president. He was appointed as the National General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2015. In the same year, he was appointed as the leader of the BJP in West Bengal. In 2020, he was appointed as the National General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party for the second time. He has also served as the legal cell convenor for BJP Madhya Pradesh. On 28 December 2023, Kailash resigned from the post of general secretary to join the Madhya Pradesh cabinet. Deccan Herald
Details of IPCs
- 2 charges related to Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony (IPC Section-153A)
- 2 charges related to Deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs (IPC Section-295A)
- 2 charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- 2 charges related to Punishment for Defamation (IPC Section-500)
- 2 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant (IPC Section-188)
- 1 charge related to Uttering, words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person (IPC Section-298)
- 1 charges related to Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman (IPC Section-509)
- 1 charge related to Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot-if rioting be committed-if not committed (IPC Section-153)
- 1 charge related to Abettor present when an offence is committed (IPC Section-114)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for forgery (IPC Section-465)
- 1 charge related to Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record (IPC Section-471)
- 1 charge related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly (IPC Section-143)
Criticised For Remarks Against Women’s Clothing
In April 2023, during a religious event in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, Kailash Vijayvargiya made a controversial statement, saying women who wear bad clothes represent Shurpanakha. His statement read,
We see goddess in women. But (with) the kind of bad dresses the girls wear and move around, they do not embody goddesses but look like Shurpanakha . God has given you a good and body…..dress well, friends.”
His comments received criticism from various sections of the society. Many political parties accused him of insulting all women with his sexist remarks. later, when he was asked to comment on the controversy, he said that everyone knew what he meant and he did not want to give a new statement. Hindustan Times
Criticised For His Inappropriate Remarks
We are not opponents of anybody. All those who say Bharat Mata ki Jai are our brothers and we can lay down our lives for them. But those will speak against Bharat Mata, we will not step back from even taking their lives.”
Accused of Rape
Accused of Hiding Pending Cases Against Him
In November 2023, a complaint was filed against Vijayvargiya with the Election Commission of India by the Madhya Pradesh Congress MLA Sanjay Shukla for not disclosing all the cases pending against him in his election nomination affidavit. In the complaint, Shukla alleged that Vijayvargiya had not disclosed two cases pending against him including a gang-rape case in Alipore, West Bengal, and a defamation case in Durg, Chhattisgarh. Shukla also demanded the cancellation of Vijayvargiya’s nomination. The Hindu
Received a Backlash From Netizens For Attending a Program of Asaram Bapu’s Supporters
In October 2023, Vijayvargiya was seen attending an event organised by the supporters of rape convict Asaram Bapu, where he sang the famous Bollywood song ‘Ye bandhan to pyaar ka bandhan hai’ from the film Karan Arjun (1995) along with Asaram’s supporters. A video of the event went viral on the internet after which netizens started criticising him and calling him- shameless. Many took it as a move to gain votes in the elections. Dainik Bhaskar
Criticised For Comparing Shah Rukh Khan with Dawood Ibrahim
In January 2017, Kailash Vijayvargiya sparked a controversy for comparing Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim. Apparently, he made the remarks in connection with the incident where a person lost his life and two policemen got severely injured at Vadodara railway station after the crowd rushed to get a glimpse of Shah Rukh Khan as he travelled by train fo the shooting of his film Raees. The Times of India
In January 2013, Kailash Vijayvargiya stirred a controversy for his remarks that women who cross their limits, pay the price. Quoting an incident of Ramanaya, he said that just like Sita was abducted by Ravana when she crossed the Laxman-Rekha, the women would be punished if they cross their moral limits. Hindustan Times In his words,
Ek hi shabd hai- Maryada. Maryada ka Ulanghan hota hai, toh Sita-haran ho jata hai.”
Awards & Honours
- In 2001, he received Best Mayor in Honolulu, America Award at the World Conference of Mayors
- In 2006, he was honoured by the UN for fulfilling the prescribed Millennium Development Goals
- In 2007, he received the National Goodwill Award from the government of Madhya Pradesh for his unending peace conquest & efforts
- He has also been awarded with the Building Industries Leadership Award
- In 2021, Kailash was included in the top 100 influential person list of India
- Cash: Rs. 94,732
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 22,67,467
- Shares, Bonds, and Debentures: Rs. 21,503
- Loans & Advances given: Rs. 33,00,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 13,05,000
- Other Assets: Rs. 78,130
- Commercial Buildings Rs. 1,60,00,000
- Residential Buildings Rs. 1,16,50,000
- In 2014, under his leadership, Kailash Vijayvargiya organised one of the best-ever Mahakumbs in Ujjain.
- In November 2019, Vijayvargiya got the world’s highest Octa metal statue of Lord Hanuman built in Indore. Business Standard Apparently, in 1999, a Mahatama told him that the city of Indore had some Pitra Dosh due to which the city was not able to prosper. The Mahatama further suggested that if a statue Lord Hanuman is installed on Pitru Parvat, the defect would be removed. Kailash then took a pledge that he would not eat food until he got the biggest statue of Hanuman installed on Pitru Parvat. Sticking to his pledge, he ate only mordhan, rajgira, sago, fruits, and vegetables for 20 years. News18
- Vijayvargiya is fond of art, music, and writing. He often sings hymns and prayers at religious gatherings. He also writes blogs on various issues and shares them on his official website.
- He is fluent in two languages- Hindi and English.
- Under his leadership, Madhya Pradesh received 3 significant awards in the IT sector in 2007.
- Kailash Vijayvargiya was appointed as the in-charge of the Haryana state by the Bharatiya Janata Party during the 2014 Haryana Legislative Assembly Elections. In the elections, the party registered its first win, taking BJP’s tally from 4 to 47 seats. A year later, he was also appointed as the in-charge of West Bengal during West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections.
- In 2020, he was provided with Z category security including a bulletproof car by the Union Home Ministry after Vijayvargiya’s convoy was attacked in West Bengal. The Economic Times
- He is often addressed as Bhai and Bhaiya by his supporters.
- Reportedly, before making his career in politics, Kailash Vijayvargiya tried his hands at business. He owns a traditional grocery shop in Indore, where he visits every year on Dhanteras and sells goods during the auspicious time. Previously, he had also set up a cold drink in partnership with former Union Minister Anil Madhav Dave. However, the business was shut. Kailash also set up a plant in Pitampura, Delhi, but the business could not progress. He also owned a firecracker outlet and a Surya brand soap agency. Amar Ujala
- Apparently, Vijayvargiya contested the Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association elections twice against Jyotiraditya Scindia, but lost. Amar Ujala