Jawed Habib is one of the renowned hair stylist and cosmetologist in India. He is also an entrepreneur and runs a network of salon named ‘Jawed Habib.’
Jawed Habib Akhtar was born on 26 June 1963 (age 58; as of 2021) in Rashtrapati Bhawan Block no. 12 and house no. 32. He did his Master’s in French from Jawaharlal Nehru University.
He took a nine-months hairdressing course at Morris International School in London.
Height: 6′ (approx.)
Hair Colour: Vanilla Blond (dyed)
Eye Colour: Brown
Family, Caste & Wife
Jawed Habib was born as the eldest son to Habib Ahmed, who is himself a renowned hair stylist.
He has two younger brothers Amzad and Parvez Habib. His grandfather is Nazir Ahmed, who was also a hairdresser.
He got married to Shaheen Akhtar and the couple has a daughter named Sana and son named Anosh Habib.
After completing his course in London, Jawed was appointed by Sunsilk, where he worked for nine years. He returned to India in 1989 becoming a spokesperson for hairdressing. He started organizing workshops and seminars. He opened small units in remote places of India and taught a few students. That is how he was able to open his salon network in India. Soon, he started writing books on hairstyling and hair care. He has more than 790 outlets across 24 states and more than 41 academies in India. He also has franchises out of India.
- He once sparked controversy by printing an advertisement that seemed to have hurt sentiments of the Hindu community. The advertisement had gods visiting the salon of Jawed Habib with the tagline “Gods Too Visit JH Salon.”
- In January 2022, during a training seminar in Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, the celebrity hairstylist spitted on a woman’s hair while saying jokingly that even his spit works. Soon, a video of this incident went viral on social media following which he received heavy criticism. The woman in the video, identified as Pooja Gupta, runs a parlor named Vanshika beauty parlor in Baraut, and she also criticized Habib for his act. The Free Press Journal She said,
My name is Pooja Gupta, I run a parlor named Vanshika beauty parlor and am a resident of Baraut. I attended Javed Habib sir’s seminar yesterday. He had invited me for a haircut on stage and he misbehaved a lot. He was showing if you do not have water you can use your spit as well. I did not get my haircut done. I would get my haircut from any local shop but never from Javed Habib.”
Diva Salon Awards
- Business Award
- Most Preferred Hair Academy Award
- Mentor Of The Year Award
- Food: Biryani, Khichdi, Maggi
- Singer: Mohammed Rafi
- Entrepreneur: Jack Cohen
His net worth is about $30 million.
- In 2019, Jawed Habib joined the Bhartiya Samaj Party (BJP) in New Delhi in presence of Tarun Chugh.
- Jawed Habib didn’t like his family profession and initially wanted to do Hotel Management.
- His father Habib Ahmed also studied in Morris International School in London and was the hairstylist of most of the celebrities and politicians including Former President of India, Late Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Nazir Ahmed, his grandfather, was the hairdresser of the last Viceroy of India, Lord Mountbatten and the first Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
- He says he has client marriage. He met Shaheen as a client in his salon ‘Jawed Habib.’
- Jawed Habib wants to be “Tesco (A British multinational groceries and general merchandise retailer, headquartered in England, UK)“ of his industry.
- His first haircut in India was of a little girl of 9 or 10 years of age, he trimmed the girl’s hair so short that she cried a lot. He got depressed by the incident, thinking that he made his first client cry.
- Jawed was obsessed about Cricket. He was even the captain of the cricket team of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
- Jawed Habib holds the world record of performing 410 non-stop haircuts in 25 hours and 42 minutes.
- He once said that he liked hairs of Lalu Prasad Yadav.
- The happiest moment of his life was when his daughter was born.
- He is a lifetime member of World Federation of Supreme Hairdressers.
- During his first press conference in Patna, he said that hairdressing was a science. A journalist got up and replied, “To kya hua, hain to ap nai hi na (so what, you still are a barber).” He was deeply hurt by the sentence.
- Jawed is a die-hard fan of Mohammad Rafi; he even said once that Rafi Saab was his weakness.
Unki Awaaz mein sur tha, meri kainchi mein hai”
- He was once a part of Miss India Paegent. He realised that he didn’t like the way he was dictated as a hairstylist or work under somebody. He wanted equal importance for hair and care professionals, similar to an artist.
- Jawed Habib has his own brand of hair products.