Hayley Arceneaux is the youngest American civilian who was selected to join billionaire Jared Isaacman on SpaceX’s first private spaceflight named Inspiration4 in the fourth quarter of 2021. Jared Isaacman, an American billionaire businessman and pilot, and the founder and CEO of Shift4 Payments, along with Hayley Arceneaux, Sian Proctor (a commercial astronaut), and Christopher Sembroski are the four crew members of this space mission. This space mission is regarded as the first all-civilian mission to space.
Hayley Arceneaux was born on Wednesday, 4 December 1991 (age 29 years; as of 2021) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Hayley Arceneaux was brought up at St. Francisville, Louisiana. She received her school education at Bains Elementary School in St. Francisville. LA Digital Media In 2014, Hayley Arceneaux earned an undergraduate degree at Southeastern Louisiana University, where Hayley Arceneaux majored in Spanish and minored in biology. In 2016, Hayley Arceneaux received her Physician Assistant (PA) degree at Southeastern Louisiana University. AAPA
Height (approx.): 5′ 2″
Hair Colour: Dark Copper Golden Blonde
Eye Colour: Brown
Hayley Arceneaux belongs to a Cajun community in America. Cajuns are an ethnic group mainly living in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The Advocate
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name was Howard Arceneaux. He died of kidney cancer.
Her mother’s name is Colleen Arceneaux.
She has a brother named Hayden Arceneaux, who is an aerospace engineer. Her brother is married to Liz Suttles who is also an aerospace engineer.
Hayley Arceneaux began working as a physician assistant at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis in April 2020.
After her studies, she extensively devoted herself to working in the emergency department of a hospital.
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital offered Hayley Arceneaux a seat on the Inspiration4 space mission in January 2021. Hayley Arceneaux said yes to the opportunity immediately. In an interview, Hayley said,
They asked if I wanted to be on board, and I was shocked but immediately said, ‘Yes, yes, please!”
In an interview with BBC News, Hayley stated,
Until this mission, I could have never been an astronaut.”
- Hayley Arceneaux earned the Louisiana Young Heroes award in 2003.
- She follows a Non-Vegetarian diet. Hayley’s Instagram Account
- Hayley Arceneaux occasionally drinks alcohol.
- Hayley discussed the offer to space with her mother soon after welcoming the space mission chance in January 2021. Her brother and sister-in-law, who are both aerospace engineers, also reassured her that how safe space travel was. On her selection to the space mission, Hayley exclaimed in an interview,
I do consider myself an adventurer, and so while I never thought I would be going to space, it fits, and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”
- At the age of ten, Hayley Arceneaux felt an ache in her knees. Initially, her doctor thought that it was just a minor sprain. However, within a few months, Hayley’s tests revealed that she was suffering from osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer. Soon after the revelation, she was admitted to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital for treatment. She underwent chemotherapy, a limb-preservation surgery with knee replacement, and placement of a titanium rod in her left thigh bone during the surgery along with various physical therapies.
- With the passing of time, Hayley was cured of bone cancer. She started working at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2020. On her selection to SpaceX’s space mission, she stated, I think for my patients to see someone just like them and for other survivors to see somebody who’s been through cancer going to space, I think it’s going to mean so much for them.”
- In childhood, Hayley Arceneaux went to the NASA space centre in Houston, Texas. In an interview, she said that she aspired to become an astronaut since childhood. She spelt out,
Of course, I wanted to be an astronaut. But then a few months later I was diagnosed with cancer, and it really changed my whole world.”
- Hayley Arceneaux, along with four other crew members, received their space training in June 2021.
- Hayley is a bone cancer survivor. Her personal experiences with cancer inspired her to work extensively for cancer patients at the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In an interview, Hayley shares her experience while working at the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. She spelt out,
Working with the kids, it means so much because these kids are so brave. They’re going through a big, life-changing thing… I do share with them I was a former patient, especially with new kids. I love getting to share that with them.”
- Hayley Arceneaux often posts pictures of her pet dog on her social media account as she is an animal lover.
- Hayley Arceneaux got the offer to SpaceX Inspiration4 mission in January. Soon, her name was officially revealed in the media. Various news and social media channels interviewed her for her selection.
- According to Hayley Arceneaux, she is the first Cajun who is selected for the space mission Inspiration4. She would be serving as a Chief Medical Officer to the other crew members of the space capsule. Hayley Arceneaux regarded herself as the first person to launch in space with a prosthesis. The Advocate
- Hayley regularly works out to keep herself fit especially after getting selected to the all-civilian space mission 2021. In one of her social media posts, she wrote,
A big part of my astronaut training is strength training. Physical fitness helps tolerance of increased G forces with launch/reentry as well as functioning in a microgravity environment and I’m here for it.”
- The seats of the crew members on the space mission are labelled. Sembroski’s seat represents “Generosity,” Arceneaux’s seat “Hope” and Proctor’s seat “Prosperity.”
- Some symbolic names are given to the seats of the three crew members of the all-civilian space mission 2021. Sembroski’s seat is labelled as “Generosity,” Arceneaux’s seat is labelled as “Hope” and Proctor’s seat is labelled as “Prosperity.”
- Hayley Arceneaux does yoga regularly along with meditation to keep herself fit. One of her pictures on social media depicts her as a yoga enthusiast.
- Hayley Arceneaux won a black belt in Taekwondo in childhood.
- Hayley loves to travel. In her leisure time, she often parties and travel to different places.
- According to Hayley, she would do some science experiments in the space and she would video call the St. Jude kids from above. In an interview, she was asked that how she would spend her days in orbit. She then answered,
So we are going to do some science experiments. Any research projects that they have brought up to us we’ve been extremely interested in because, I mean, space travel is science fundamentally. And we are on board to help them in any way. But what I’m most excited about is right now we’re trying to figure out how we’re going to video call with the St. Jude kids.”
- In another video, Hayley described her experience of getting selected for the space flight that is scheduled in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Hayley repeatedly grows her hair so that she can cut and donate that hair for the preparation of wigs for cancer patients.
- According to Hayley, she started learning about the space mission in December 2020 from the officials who were working with the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital’s fundraising organization.
- SpaceX, the company founded by business mogul Elon Musk would launch Hayley Arceneaux from Florida on a Falcon 9 rocket.
|↑1||LA Digital Media|
|↑3, ↑5||The Advocate|
|↑4||Hayley’s Instagram Account|