Gazal Dhaliwal is a Bollywood film writer and actress. She is best known for her film “Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga” as a writer. She is also a transgender woman, as she changed her gender from male to female. Here is the detailed information about her.
Gazal Dhaliwal was born as Gunraj Singh Dhaliwal in Patiala, Punjab, India. Her family and friends fondly call her Gunu. At the age of five, Gunraj identified himself as a woman as he loved to play with dolls and wore his mother’s clothes. However, he did not tell his parents about it. When he turned 14, he told his father about it. His father was unable to understand his son and did not take anything seriously. It was only after Gunraj ran away from his home depressed that his parents started taking him seriously. In 2007 at the age of 25, Gunraj underwent Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) to change his gender. It was only after the surgery that Gunraj came to be known as Gazal Dhaliwal.
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 60 kg
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Partner
She was born in a Sikh Family to Bhajan Partap Singh Dhaliwal and Sukarni Dhaliwal.
As of 2018, Gazal was unmarried.
Gazal Dhaliwal did her schooling from Budha Dal Public School, Patiala. She completed her Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering from the Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur. In 2004, she started working as a software engineer at Infosys Technologies Ltd. in Mysore, Karnataka. However, Gazal left the job in 2005 to pursue a career as a writer in Bollywood. She then did a one-year course in filmmaking from the Xavier Institute of Communications (XIC), Mumbai. After that, she got a chance to assist Govind Nihalani, film director, for an animated film.
In 2014, Gazal Dhaliwal made an appearance in Satyamev Jayate Season 3’s episode, ‘Accepting Alternate Sexualities,’ that was hosted by Aamir Khan.
In 2015, she made her acting debut with the short film, Agli Baar. Apart from being an actress, she is also a writer and made her writing debut in 2016 with the film, Wazir. She wrote the dialogues for this film. She also wrote dialogues for several other films like Lipstick Under My Burkha (2016) and Qarib Qarib Singlle (2017). In 2017, Gazal co-wrote the screenplay of the film, Qarib Qarib Singlle.
In 2018, Gazal Dhaliwal wrote the story of the short film, A Monsoon Date. She also wrote the story, dialogues, and screenplay of the film ‘Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga’ (2019), starring Anil Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, Sonam Kapoor, and Rajkummar Rao.
- Singers: Amit Trivedi, A. R. Rahman
- TV Shows: Satyamev Jayate, Mad Men, Modern Family, Six Feet Under, Friends
- Books: Terribly Tiny Tales by Penguin Books India, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Tennis Player: Maria Sharapova
- In 2016, she, along with her eight other team members, attended the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) on Transgender Rights in the USA; one of India’s first such initiatives to be a part of US Department of State’s three-week exchange program.
- Gazal Dhaliwal likes to read, write, sing, and travel.
- She never smokes or drinks alcohol.
- She is a dog lover.