Christiane Seidel is a Danish-German actress who is well known for starring in the television series Boardwalk Empire (2011), and web series Godless (2017), and The Queen’s Gambit (2020). In 2018, she went viral as Amy Adams’s look-alike at the 70th Emmy Awards.
Christiane Seidel was born on Sunday, April 3, 1988 (age 33 years; as of 2021), in Wichita Falls, Texas, United States. Shortly after her parents made the acquaintance at a party, Christiane’s father who was serving in the navy got stationed in Texas. In an interview, while talking about her childhood, she said,
My dad was flying fighter jets, so I was born in Wichita Falls, Texas of all places. I lived the life of a typical army brat.”
After living in Texas for a while, her family first moved to Germany and then Denmark. Since childhood, Christiane was passionate about acting. Her first role was in primary school where she starred as a woman who housed Mary and Jesus in the German version of The Nativity Story. In high school, she starred in the play The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Thereafter, she went to a film school in Capetown, South Africa for a semester. Later, after earning a degree in media and management, she went on to pursue a two-year course at Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, New York. Imagista While she was an upcoming actress in New York, Christiane was pressurized by her mother to return to Germany and pursue a stable career, unlike that of an actress. In an interview, she said,
My mom would ask me, ‘When are you coming back? When are you going to do a real job? When are you going to use the thing that you actually learned?”
Finally, in 2010, Christiane Seidel secured her first paid job in the show Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and began her journey as an actress. Later, to enhance her acting skills, she pursued additional acting courses like Michael Chekhov Technique, The Alexander Technique, and training at The Fitzmaurice Institute.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Color: Scarlet Red
Eye Color: Moss Green
Family & Ethnicity
Christiane Seidel is the daughter of a Danish mother and a German father. Imagista
Parents & Siblings
Christiane Seidel’s father is a navy pilot, and her mother is a florist.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Christiane Seidel is married to Eddie Shieh, a director and producer. In 2016, on the set of the television series ‘Godless’ in Mexico, Seidel learned that she was pregnant. In March 2017, Seidel had twin sons; Kai Seidel and Karl Seidel.
In 2010, Christiane Seidel made her television debut with the American crime drama Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in which she played the role of Darla Pinnington, a masseuse who is involved in an abduction. In 2011, she came into the limelight with the role of Sigrid Mueller, a young naive immigrant woman who later becomes a feisty killer in the period crime-drama Boardwalk Empire.
Thereafter, she appeared as Jessica in Jay & Pluto (2016), and Caroline in Royally (2017). In 2019, Seidel played the role of Hannah, mistress of the protagonist, Bob Fosse, in the television series Fosse/Verdon.
In 2017, she made her digital debut with Netflix’s critically-acclaimed series ‘Godless’ in which she played the role of Martha Bischoff, a mysterious, free-spirited German woman. Godless was nominated for multiple Emmys, including the nomination for ‘Outstanding Limited Series.’
In 2020, she appeared as Helen Deardorff, the headmistress of a Christian orphanage for girls ‘Methuen Home’ in Netflix’s coming-of-age period drama The Queen’s Gambit.
In 2008, Christiane Seidel made her film debut with ‘…Around’ in which she played the role of a Foreign NYU Director. In 2016, she starred as Sarah DeSoto, an FBI Agent who investigates a mysterious triple homicide in which a U.S. congressman’s daughter died, in the crime-drama film ‘The Hollow.’
Her other films include The Invisible Life of Thomas Lynch (2009) and Schmidts Katze (2015), Yellow Fever (2017), etc.
- Actor(s): Cate Blanchett, Daniel Day-Lewis, Joaquin Phoenix,
- Actress: Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams
- Color: Royal blue
- Dessert: Sweet Potato Lasagna
- Resturant: Amass in Copenhagen
- Web Series: Friends (1994), Big Little Lies (2017), Dark (2017 ), Black Mirror (2011), Game of Thrones (2011)
- Clothing Brand: Ganni
- Shoe Brand: Alexander Wang, Rothy’s
- Growing up as a natural redhead, Christiane was bullied and teased by her fellow classmates. In an interview, she said,
It definitely wasn’t easy. As a kid I felt quite ugly and didn’t want to stand out. I was teased and called all sorts of names.”
- In 2015, she became the producing director for the Scandinavian American Theater Company which has presented various award-winning Scandinavian plays in America like Beloved (2004) by acclaimed Swedish playwright Lisa Langseth, Kinder K by Kristofer Blindheim Grønskag, etc.
- She also starred in the American Off-Broadway premiere of Then Silence by Norwegian playwright Arne Lygre.
- At the 70th Emmy Awards (2018), Christiane was mistaken for the Hollywood celebrity Amy Adams by various news outlets.
Reportedly, Christiane was spotted walking down Emmy’s red carpet in a bright red dress with a sweetheart neckline and shoulder cut-outs. But, it was neither Seidel’s dress nor makeup that fooled everyone. It was her scarlet red hair that looked almost identical to Adams’s signature crimson shade.
Although it didn’t take long for the outlets to clarify that the woman in red was in fact not Adams but actress Christiane Seidel, by then Christiane had already gone viral as Adams’ look-alike and it became one of the most talked-about moments at Emmy Awards.
- She has also starred in various short-films like Bordenia (2009), The Left Hook (2012), The Perfect Nothing (2016), etc. In 2018, she was nominated for the Best Actress Award at the Brightside Tavern Film Festival for the short film 16 Mins (2018).
- Christiane is a partner & producer at Red Rope Productions, a minority and woman’s business enterprise of New York (MWBENY) that produced several short films like Fraud (2020), In SYNC (2020), etc.
- Christiane Seidel is multilingual and can speak four languages, English, German, Danish, and basic French.
- She is also skilled in horse riding, playing piano, skiing, ice-skating, tennis, and swimming.
References [ + ]