Abdulla Aboobacker is an Indian athlete who competes in the triple jump. In 2022, he clinched a silver medal at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
Abdulla Aboobacker was born on Wednesday, 17 January 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022) in Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. Abdulla did his schooling at Vanimal MUP School, Kerala and Kallady School, Palakkad, Kerala. Abdullah was fascinated by sports and athletics since childhood. During his schooling, he used to participate in 100-metre running competitions. Later, after shifting to Kallady School in Palakkad, he started practising the triple jump.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Abdulla Abbobacker belongs to a Muslim family in Kerala.
Parents & Siblings
Abdulla Aboobacker’s father, Aboobacker, works in the Middle East as a helper at a cafeteria. His mother’s name is Saraa. Abdulla has two siblings named Muhammad and Safna. In an interview, Abdulla’s mother, Sara, talked about his performance in the Commonwealth Games and said,
Abdulla Aboobacker, after passing 12th grade, relocated to Kerala’s capital Thrivandranathapuram from his village Valayam to train under coach MA George, a silver medalist at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. In an interview, MA George talked about Abdulla Aboobacker and said,
what I liked most about him was his total dedication. Unlike other trainees, he didn’t have any distractions and was focused and that helped to climb the podium.”
In 2019, Abdulla made his debut in the triple jump at the Indian Military Services Championship held in Pune, India. He won a gold medal in the competition. The next year, he won a silver medal at the Indian Open Championship, Pune. In 2021, he won medals in various triple jump events like a silver medal at Federation Cup, Patiala, a gold medal at Inter Services Championship, Bhubhaneshwar, and a silver medal at National Open Ch., Stadium Hanamkonda, Warangal. On 1 March 2022, he clinched a bronze medal at the Indian Open Bronze Medal Competitions held in Thiruvanthapuram. The same year, he participated in The Indian Grand Prix, Thiruvanthapuram. He won a silver medal in the competition. On 21 May 2022, he won a gold medal at the Indian Prix, Bhubhaneshwar.
In August 2022, he made his International debut in the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham. He clinched a silver medal in the tournament with a result of 17.02 metres. Eldhose Paul‘s gold medal leap, meanwhile, recorded a personal best of 17.03. In an interview, Abdulla talked about participating in Commonwealth Games and said,
It is quite exciting to breach the qualification standard for the World Championships and to think that it will be my first international competition gives me goosebumps. The focus right now is pretty clear – reach the final in Oregon and better my 17.19m attempt there.”
Indian Air Force
In 2014, Abdulla joined The Indian Air Force. Later, while serving in the Indian Air Force, he started his training in the triple jump under coach Harikishnan. In an interview, Abdulla talked about this and said,
I did triple jump all through my school and college. But, the major turning point came when I joined the Indian Airforce in 2014. That’s where Harikrishnan sir took me under his wings. I owe a lot of my success to him. The fact that he is now with the Indian camp as an assistant coach gives me a sense of comfort while going about my business.”
- 2019: Indian Military Services Championship, Pune
- 2021: Inter Services Championship, Bhubaneshwar
- 2022: Indian Grand Prix, Bhubaneshwar
- 2019: Indian Open Championship, Ranchi
- 2021: Federation Cup, Patiala
- 2021:National Open Championship, Stadium Hanamkonda, Warangal
- 2022: National Inter State Senior Athletics Championship, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai
- 2022: Commonwealth Games, Alexander Stadium, Birmingham
- 2022: Indian Open Jumps Competitions, Thiruvanthapuram
- Abdulla Aboobacker, initially, started his athletic career with track events like 100m and 200m sprints and hurdles. Subsequently, he switched to the triple jump because there was less competition. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
I used to run 100m, 200m, and hurdles but the competition was a lot. I realised early on that it will be difficult to stand out in these events. I just tried my hand at triple jump because there were no takers and soon it became my pet event.” The Bridge
- Eldhose Paul, the gold medalist in the 2022 Commonwealth Games, is close friends with Abdulla. They met each other in Kerela’s MA college and training and were trained under the same coach. In an interview, Eldhose Paul talked about the bond he shared with Abdulla and said,
We talk to each other about our technique, and our rhythm on the runway. We’re always motivating each other and giving pointers about things going wrong with other’s jumps. From the coaches’ position in the stands, they cannot see the entire picture in terms of technique and rhythm. We’re in the field watching from close quarters, so we can see things others cannot. Yes, we have a competitive mindset during competitions. But even then, both of us keep giving each other advice.”
- According to Abdulla Aboobacker, two days before his event at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games, he started feeling dizzy, his weight dropped by nearly four kilograms, and he was inexplicably feeling weak. Later, he talked about this to his close friend Eldoshe Paul. In an interview, Abdulla talked about this and said,