Amoj Jacob is an Indian track and field athlete and a banker who is well-known for his participation in 400m, 800m, and relay. He won gold medal in the men’s 400 meters at the 21st Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championship in March 2021 with a timing of 45.68 seconds. Amoj Jacob booked his position in the relay team for the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England.
P. A. Amoj Jacob was born on Saturday, 2 May 1998 (age 25 years; as of 2023) in Thellakam, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Taurus. Amoj completed his schooling at St. Xavier’s School, Rohini, New Delhi. He completed his bachelor’s degree in commerce at Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa College, New Delhi, India. The Indian Express After completing his graduation, Amoj pursued a Bachelor of Physical Education degree at Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab. Hindustan Times
Height : 5’ 10½” Birmingham 2022
Weight : 72 kg Birmingham 2022
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Amoj Jacob belongs to a Christian family.
Parents & Siblings
Amoj’s father’s name is Jacob P. A. His mother’s name is Mary Kutty, a head nurse at Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital in New Delhi.
He has a younger sister, Ansu Jacob.
Amoj Jacob started his athletic career as a 100m sprinter, but his coach Arvind Kapoor advised him to train for 400m and 800m running events. On 5 May 2016, he won the boy’s 800m event at the 4th Junior Federation Cup National Athletics Championship at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru.
In June 2016, Amoj took part in the Asian Junior Championship in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam under two categories, men’s 800m and men’s 4x400m relay. In July 2017, he competed in the men’s 4x400m relay at the Asian Athletics Championships at Bhubaneswar along with his teammates Kunhu Muhammed, Arokia Rajiv, and Mohammad Anas with a reported timing of 3:02.92. On 18 November 2017, he participated in the junior boy’s U20 400m with a timing of 46.59 seconds at the 33rd Coromandel National Junior Athletic Championship 2017 held at the Acharya Nagarjuna University athletics ground in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
In the same year, he recorded a timing of 46.50 seconds in the men’s 400m event at the 57th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. In April 2018, Amoj participated in the men’s 4x400m relay in the Commonwealth Games held in Australia. In 2020, Amoj was a part of the men’s 4×400 relay at the Tokyo Olympics 2020. In 2021, he participated in the men’s 400m event at the Indian Grand Prix-2 (held in Thiruvananthapuram) and Indian Grand Prix-3 ( held in Bhubaneswar) with a reported time of 46.00 seconds and 45.70 seconds respectively. Amoj took part in the 21st Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championship in March 2021 in the men’s 400m category with a timing of 45.68 seconds at the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports in Patiala.
In March 2022, Amoj won the men’s 400m race at the Indian Grand Prix-1 held at Thiruvananthapuram, and he finished with a time of 45.98 seconds.
In June 2022, Amoj won in the men’s 400m category at the 61st National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships in Chennai at a clocked time of 45.68 seconds.
- 2017: National record in the junior boys’ U20 400m category at the 33rd Coromandel National Junior Athletic Championship 2017 with a timing of 46.59 seconds, breaking the previous record of Virender Pank, created in 2006 with a timing of 46.99 seconds. The Times of India
- 2020: Asian record of 3 minutes and 25 seconds at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 in 4*400 men’s relay, breaking the previous record of 3:00.56 set by Qatar at the Asian Games 2018. The Hindu
#IND's 4x400m relay team set a new Asian record at the #Olympics! 😱
Watch Amoj Jacob's finishing blitz that helped India finish fourth in heat 2 and sprint straight into the history books. 🙌#StrongerTogether | #UnitedByEmotion | #Tokyo2020 | #BestOfTokyo pic.twitter.com/gdDYPX2RLD
— Olympic Khel (@OlympicKhel) August 6, 2021
- 2016: Asian Junior Championship at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (men’s 800m category)
- 2017: Asian Athletics Championship 2017, Bhubaneswar
- 2017: 33rd Coromandel National Junior Athletic Championship, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
- 2019: 5th International Balkan Relay Cup 2019 in Erzurum, Turkey
- 2021: 21st Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championship, Patiala
- 2016: Asian Junior Championship at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (men’s 4x400m relay)
- While studying in school, Amoj was interested in football. He was spotted during a football match by Arvind Kapoor, a physical trainer at his school. He advised Amoj to specialize as a sprinter. In an interview, he talked about how he prepared Amoj as a sprinter and said,
His height, his movement, and his strides were suited for a 400/800m athlete. He already had incredible speed, so I worked on his endurance.” The Indian Express
- Before the beginning of every sprint and relay event, Amoj religiously follows a ritual in which he recites a prayer.
- In an interview, when asked how he takes defeats in the tournaments, Amoj replied,
I don’t think much, honestly. That has been my motto. I don’t get disappointed even when I lose. So I am going to take it step by step. Jo bhi hoga dekha jayega.” The Indian Express
- In 2018, during the Commonwealth Games in Australia, Amoj collapsed on the track in the 4*400 men’s relay. His teammates rushed toward him to take him off the tracks, which led to their elimination from the game.
- In an interview, talking about winning the gold medal in Federation Cup 2021, Amoj said,
No, I was not surprised, I was prepared for the timing. I thought I could run around 45.5s, but in the Federation Cup, my judgement was quite wrong. I ran the first 300 very fast, then I got tired.” The Hindu
- During the men’s 4x400m relay in Tokyo Olympics 2020, Amoj ran the last leg with a reported timing of 44.68 seconds.
- In August 2021, Amoj Jacob was recruited by the Bank of India under the sports quota.
Bank of India is proud of its newly recruited officer, Amoj Jacob, for making the entire Nation proud. He clocked the best timing in the Men's 4*400 mtrs relay heats at the Tokyo Olympics! #Cheer4India #AmojJacob #RelayHeats #Olympics #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/yLsm6iHZ8t
— Bank of India (@BankofIndia_IN) August 8, 2021
- In 2022, Amoj Jacob suffered an injury during the men’s 4x400m relay at the National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championship. As a result, he had to withdraw his participation from the men’s 4x400m relay at the Eugene World Athletic Championship 2022. In an interview, talking about his injury and preparation for upcoming sports tournament, Amoj said
I had recovered from the hamstring injury and had resumed training but I was yet to attain my peak fitness so that is why I decided to pull out of the World meet. Now I am working my way to full fitness and happy with my progress. If everything goes well I will be ready for the Commonwealth Games. But I need to run a few races before the Commonwealth Games to test my fitness. But I am not sure about participating in any competitive meets before the Commonwealth Games.” Sportstar