Anirban Lahiri is an Indian professional golf player. He plays on various international professional golf events including Asian Tour and PGA Tour. In 2021, Anirban Lahiri was selected to represent India in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics that were earlier postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Height (approx.): 5’ 9”
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
His father’s name is Dr Tushar Lahiri, and he was a doctor in the armed forces and was also a recreational golfer. His mother’s name is Navanita Lahiri, and she is an English professor.
Wife & Children
Anirban got married to Ipsa Jamwal on 31 May 2014 in Pune, Maharashtra.
He has a daughter named Tisya.
He was in a relationship with Ipsa Jamwal before getting married to her in 2014.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, U.S.
Anirban Lahiri began playing golf professionally in 2007. In 2008, he played the Asian Tour Order of Merit and attained the 111th world rank. He grabbed this victory in the first year of his joining the golf professionally. In 2009, Anirban Lahiri played the Professional Golf Tour in India, and he won eleven events and the Order of Merit during this tour. In 2011, Lahiri won the Panasonic Open golf championship. In 2012, he won the SAIL-SBI Open golf championship in Delhi. Around the same year, Lahiri got qualified for his major golf tournament at the Open Championship at the Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club in Lancashire. In this tournament, he made the cut (68-72) with a hole-in-one at the par-39th hole in the third round and made it the historic point of his career.
In 2013, Anirban Lahiri finished third on the Order of Merit at the Venetian Macau Open. In 2014, Lahiri finished his best maiden on the Order of Merit at the Asian Tour – CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters.
In February 2015, Anirban Lahiri played the European Tour at the Maybank Malaysian Open in Malaysia, and he won the match by defeating his opponent Bernd Wiesberger.
In 2015, in the Hero Indian Open championship in India, Anirban won the event by defeating his opponent Shiv Chawrasia. Around the same year, after winning the Malaysian Open and Hero Indian Open, Anirban got selected for the Masters’ Tournament, and he was ranked among the top 50 golfers by the Official World Golf Ranking. In August 2015, Lahiri became the first Indian golfer by setting a new record at the PGA Championship held at Whistling Straits. He posted rounds of 70-67-70-68 for a score of −13 in this championship. In the same month, Anirban Lahiri won the PGA of America’s pre-tournament long-drive match. In 2015, Lahiri was honoured to play in the Presidents Cup Squad and became the first Indian golfer to play this squad. The PGA Tour in Web.com Tour Finals were also played by Anirban Lahiri in 2015. In 2016, Anirban got qualified for the Olympic Golf Course in Rio de Janeiro. He was among the 60 golf participants from all around the world.
In 2017, Lahiri got qualified for the CIMB Classic professional golf tournaments. In the same year, Lahiri played his best finish of T-2 at the Memorial Tournament and named himself in the 2017 Presidents Cup team. Anirban Lahiri ranked 51st in the FedEx Cup PGA Tour in the same year. In 2018, at the PGA Tour season, a Military Tribute at The Greenbrier, United States, Anirban Lahiri shot his lowest round a 61. In the same year, his best score was a T-5 at the CJ Cup. In 2019, Anirban struggled in the 2019 season and ended up losing his PGA Tour card. Consequently, he ranked at the 125th position of the FedEx Cup. In 2020, Anirban Lahiri received his PGA Tour card back after playing the Korn Ferry Tour Finals. In the same year, Lahiri stuck in India amid the COVID-19 lockdown, and he was able to participate in less than 15 events of the 2020 PGA Tour and finished at 219th in the FedEx Cup standings. He was not able to travel back to the United States to participate in the rest of the events.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2009: Professional Golf Tour of India in Order of Merit winner
- 2015: Asian Tour in Order of Merit
In 2006, in Asian Games, he won the Silver medal (second place) in Doha Men’s team.
- In his leisure time, Anirban Lahiri adores listening to music and playing computer games.
- Initially, Anirban Lahiri played squash for a few years before taking up golf seriously.
- Anirban Lahiri’s coach is Vijay Divecha.
- Anirban Lahiri learnt golf from his father, Dr Tushar Lahiri who is a recreational golfer. Anirban was eight years old when he started learning golf from his father. In an interview, he said,
I would just go out there and I would go pick up golf balls for him, and we would go chip, putt for 15 minutes because it was getting dark. That’s how it all started.”
- Anirban Lahiri played his first junior golf event at Royal Calcutta Golf Club in India when he was twelve years old.
- Anirban Lahiri won his first golf trophy at Indian Golf Union in Chandigarh. Lahiri posted his 16 years old picture on his social media account.
- In March 2014, Anirban was ranked among the top hundred golfers by the Official World Golf Ranking after the two victories on the Asian Tour.
- In 2014, Anirban Lahiri received the Arjuna Award for his excellence in his field of interest from the president of India. Lahiri became the eighth Indian golfer to receive this award.
- In 2015, Anirban Lahiri was labelled as a “rookie to watch” and the “new face of Indian golf” after being listed among the top 50 golf players in the world. He was the third Indian golfer after Jeev Milkha Singh and Arjun Atwal who played the Masters’ championships. Tribune India
- In August 2015, Anirban Lahiri received the fifth position in the PGA Championship held at Whistling Straits. The World Golf Ranking ranked him in the 38th position after these tournaments. On winning the PGA of America’s pre-tournament long-drive match, in the same month, he became the first Indian golfer who achieved sub-par scores.
- In 2015, Anirban Lahiri was considered the highest-ranked golf player to play in the finals of the four-event tournaments of the PGA Tour in Web.com Tour Finals. Lahiri received a PGA Tour card after playing the first two events of this tournament.
- Anirban Lahiri while playing golf in the third round of the 2016 Waste Management Phoenix Open.
- In 2017, Anirban Lahiri didn’t qualify in the Sectional qualifiers for US Open championships when everyone was expecting him to be a part of it. He revealed on his social media account,
I’m not qualifying. I pulled out of that about a week ago.
- In 2017, Anirban took his social media account to reveal that he had joined meditation classes to keep himself calm and stress-free after his disqualification from the US Open championship. He wrote,
If you’re in a better place mentally overall, it will translate into everything. Whether it’s work or sport or home or relationships, whatever it is. I mean, if you’re a happy person, or if you’re in a place where you’re at peace, it translates into everything.”
He further added,
I have improved my performance in golf in the past years due to regular Vipassana meditation practice.”
- Anirban Lahiri has often seen supporting various educational events in India including Ishavidhya Foundation. In 2019, he spoke about the cause of less education in rural India and narrated the reasons that why it was important to educate each child in India.
— Isha Foundation (@ishafoundation) November 23, 2019
- Anirban Lahiri belongs to Banglore in India. He is of Bengali descent. In an interview, he stated,
I’m really proud of the fact that I’m a more national Indian, so to speak—I’m equally comfortable with different languages, cultures, foods. I think that’s one of the aspects of being an army kid. It is one thing that is common among almost every army brat. It’s almost like we are a culture of our own.”
- In an interview, Anirban unfolded the type of music he liked. He revealed,
When it comes to music, I like Tiesto and Armin van Buuren. I grew up listening to Linkin Park and admired I grew up listening to Linkin Park and admired Mike Shinoda for his work in Fort Minor. I did listen to Eminem and 50 Cent too.”
He further disclosed his favourite television shows,
I watch TV series on and off. Like the millions and millions out there, I got hooked to Game of Thrones. My favourite character has to be Tyrion Lannister, portrayed by Peter Dinklage. A favourite actor would be Anthony Hopkins. My favourite movie is Shawshank Redemption.”
- According to Anirban, he liked to watch comedy on Youtube. In an interview, he said,
The most movies I get to watch is on a plane. But I love watching comedy on YouTube. I am a bigger fan of The Viral Fever than All India Bakchod.”
- In an interview, Anirban confessed the name of his favourite golfer. He said,
Tiger Woods because I was born in that generation.”
- According to Anirban, his wife left her job at Wipro after getting married to him. In an interview, Lahiri said that his wife, Ipsa Jamwal, was managing his personal and professional works. He said,
I met my wife Ipsa through Daksh, my best friend from school. They were in college together. Part of the friends’ circle. She used to work for Wipro on Sarjapur Road. She quit Wipro and now takes care of me and my affairs. There’s a lot of work. Part managing me and travel. Most of my close friends happen to be golfers.”
- As per Anirban Lahiri, he was passionate about video games in his childhood. He stated in an interview that he had a collection of stamps in childhood. He spelt out,
When I was a kid, I would run off to play football or cricket every opportunity I got. I was not someone to play with a GI Joe. There was a phase where I collected stamps and did a bit of video gaming like other kids. I decided not to get a PlayStation because I would either not have the time, or I would play and waste my time.”
- In 2020, Anirban Lahiri donated Rs. 7,00, 000 towards the Prime Minister’s CARES Fund for the poor people who lost their employment during the lockdown in India. He took his social media account to announce that he wanted to help those who earn on daily basis in India. India TV News
- In an interview, Anirban Lahiri revealed his diet plan and his favourite dish to relieve stress during playing. He expressed,
For me, a happy food would be Rasgullas. Casein is the protein in it and it is a slow-release protein. The only request was to keep it to 3 Rasgullas and squeeze the excess sugar out. Best consumed at night, it helps preserve muscle breakdown and speeds up healing during the night due to the casein content.”
- Anirban Lahiri was chosen for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In June 2021, in an interview, he excitedly revealed that he was blessed to represent India in Tokyo Olympics. He declared,
I’m feeling really blessed and fortunate right now. I was obviously not expecting it. I had no clue or information about what was going on with the withdrawals. So, I literally found out about a few minutes before I speak to you. Like I said because it was not expected. I’m just beginning to realise and plan for it as to what I’m going to do over the next month.”
- In his leisure time, Anirban Lahiri adores cooking. On his personal cooking video sessions ‘Cooking With Lahiri’s, he often spotted preparing various food recipes.
Bored of oatmeal yet?! Here’s Ep 5 of #CookingWithTheLahiris with Masala Oats. A simple Indian spin on boring Oatmeal that will spice up your breakfast from the get go. Check it out!! #breakfastofchampions #vegan #vegetarian #currypower pic.twitter.com/J7g3EFXdWO
— Anirban Lahiri (@anirbangolf) May 7, 2020