Yogi Babu is an Indian actor and comedian, who mainly works in the Tamil film industry. He is best known for the films Aandavan Kattalai (2016), Kolamavu Kokila (2018), Pariyerum Perumal (2018), Gurkha (2019), and Mandela (2021). He is also a three-time winner of the Ananda Vikatan Cinema Award.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 90 kgs
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 44 inches; Waist: 38 inches; Biceps: 15 inches
Parents & Siblings
Wife & Children
Yogi Babu is married to Manju Bhargavi. The couple got married on 5 February 2020 in the presence of their close ones at their ancestral temple in Tiruttani. India Today According to the sources, the marriage of Yogi Babu and Manju Bhargavi was an arranged one. News18 The couple has a son who was born in March 2021.
At the beginning of his career, Yogi Babu worked as an assistant director for the television series Lollu Sabha and also wrote various scenes for two years.
In 2009, he made his feature film debut in the action drama film Yogi and appeared as an aspiring actor in that. After that, he adopted the film’s name as a prefix to his stage name Babu. So, it became “Yogi Babu.”
Later on, in 2009, he appeared in the film Sirithal Rasipen. In 2010, he played the role of a goon in the film Paiyaa.
His other films include Thillalangadi (2010), Velayudham (2011), Rajapattai (2011), Kalakalappu (2012), Attakathi (2012), and Pattathu Yaanai (2013). In the film Pattathu Yaanai, he played a comedy role of a Henchman.
He gained a lot of popularity by playing the role of a comedian in the film Maan Karate in 2014.
His other films which helped him to climb the ladder of success are Yaamirukka Bayamey (2014) and Kaaka Muttai (2015). In 2016, he appeared in more than 20 films. Some of his most famous films of 2016 are Aandavan Kattalai, Virumandikum Sivanandikum, Kuttrame Thandanai, Veera Sivaji, Enakku Innoru Per Irukku, Pandiyoda Galatta Thaangala, etc. Babu’s acting in all these films was highly appreciated.
In 2018, he appeared in Kolamavu Kokila where he played the role of Sekar, a one-sided lover. His role was critically acclaimed and was appreciated by the audiences. His various antics in the song Kalyana Vayasu of the film Kolamavu Kokila went viral and appreciated.
He appeared in a supporting role in the film Pariyerum Perumal (2018) where he played the role of Anand. He has also won Vikatan Award for Best Comedian-Male for the film. In an interview, he shared how the film Pariyerum Perumal is important to him. He said,
Pariyerum Perumal is a very important film for our State. Friends who saw the film appreciated my role. If the film helps people understand why they should not hold on to casteist feelings, I will be very happy. I’ll always be grateful to Ranjith and Mari Selvaraj for that.”
In 2019, he debuted in a lead role in the film Dharmaprabhu where he played the role of Yamantaka.
He also played the lead role of Babu in the film Gurkha (2019).
His other films include Comali (2019), Zombie (2019), Namma Veettu Pillai (2019), Bigil (2019), Butler Balu (2019), Action (2019), Dhanusu Raasi Neyargale (2019), Darbar (2020), Taana (2020), Asuraguru (2020), Cocktail (2020), Naanga Romba Buy (2020), Kanni Raasi (2020), Engada Iruthinga Ivvalavu Naala (2021), Mandela (2021), Vanakkam Da Mappillai (2021), Vellai Yaanai (2021), Annabelle Sethupathi (2021), Doctor (2021), Aranmanai 3 (2021), Murungakkai Chips (2021), Theal (2022), Veerame Vaagai Soodum (2022), Kadaisi Vivasayi (2022), Koogle Kuttappa (2022), Veetla Vishesham (2022), Panni Kutty (2022), The Legend (2022), Naane Varuvean (2022), Coffee with Kadhal (2022), Oh My Ghost (2022), Varisu (2023), The Great Indian Kitchen (2023), Ghosty (2023), Yaanai Mugathaan (2023), Pichaikkaran 2 (2023), Kasethan Kadavulada (2023), and many more.
He debuted in Bollywood with the film Chennai Express (2013) where he played the role of a Sri Lankan smuggler. He made his Bollywood debut with Shah Rukh Khan.
In 2015, he debuted in a Telugu film Kaki: Sound of Warning where he played the role of Chitram.
He appeared in the Tamil television series Lollu Sabha from 2003 to 2008 on Vijay TV.
He has also appeared in My Name Is Mangamma (2012-2013).
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- SIIMA Award for Best Comedian, Aandavan Kattalai (2016)
- Vikatan Award Best Comedian-Male, Aandavan Kattalai (2016)
- MGR Sivaji Academy Awards (2017)
- SIIMA Award for Best Comedian, Kolamavu Kokila (2018)
- Vikatan Award Best Comedian-Male, Kolamavu Kokila (2018)
- Vikatan Award Best Comedian-Male, Pariyerum Perumal (2018)
- Zee Cine Awards Tamil for Best Comedian, Comali (2019)
- Best Comedy Actor, Comali (2020)
- Zee Cine Awards Tamil, Comali (2020)
- Outstanding Performance of the Year, Mandela, SIIMA (2022)
- The Galatta Crown Award (2022)
- 3 times winner of the Ananda Vikatan Cinema Award
- Best Comedian (Tamil) Award at SIIMA Awards, held at the Dubai World Trade Centre, UAE, for the film ‘Love Today’ (September 2023)
- Director(s): Sundar C, Rambhala
- Sports: Cricket
- Cricketer: Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Yogi Babu is a spiritual person and often visits various temples on different occasions. Instagram – YOGI BABU
- In an interview in 2018, Yogi Babu said that he never wants to share his story of struggles with anyone as it hurts his mother and his entire family. He said,
It will hurt my mother, my family. And, I’m not the only one who has struggled. From Ajith sir to my fellow artistes such as Rajendran, Munishkanth, Ramesh Thilak and Kali Venkat, all have gone through it. My fans look up to me for some laughter. Why tell them my sob story?”
- Despite becoming of the prominent faces in the Tamil film industry, Babu still follows an old and simple lifestyle. He drives a grey two-wheeler and visits a local supermarket and nearby tea shops. The Hindu
- Babu often visits the Murugan temple at Thiruttani whenever he gets time. It gives him peace. The Hindu
- In another interview in 2018, Yogi Babu said that he has no plans of becoming a hero in the films. He is a comedian and wishes to stay that way. The Hindu
- In the early 2000s, Yogi Babu was spotted by the director Rambhala aka Ram Bala who was impressed by the peculiar looks and physique of Yogi Babu and cast him in the television series Lollu Sabha (2003-2008). The Times of India