Sushmita Dev is an Indian politician and lawyer. On 4 October 2021, she was appointed as the Rajya Sabha member from West Bengal backed by the All Indian Trinamool Congress. Earlier, in 2014, she was elected as the Lok Sabha member in the general elections backed by the Indian National Congress.
Sushmita Dev was born on Monday, 25 September 1972 (age 49 years; as of 2021) in Silchar, Assam, India. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She did B.A. (Hons.) at Miranda House, Delhi University, Bar-at-Law at Thames Valley University in London, and LL.M (Corporate and Commercial Laws) at Inns of Courts School of Law in London. Later, she attended Kings College, London University, U.K., to pursue LLM. Lok Sabha
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Santosh Mohan Dev. He was a Member of Parliament and Cabinet Minister of India. He died in August 2017.
Her mother’s name is Bithika Dev, who has served as a legislator from Silchar at the Assam Legislative Assembly.
Husband & Children
She is unmarried.
Satindra Mohan Dev Road, Tarapur, Silchar, Distt. – Cachar-788003, Assam.
Sushmita Dev was the chairperson of the Silchar Municipal Board, Assam in 2009, and she held the position till 2014. Sushmita Dev was elected as a member of the Assam Legislative Assembly in 2011. In 2014, she contested the Lok Sabha election from the Silchar constituency on a ticket of the Indian National Congress and won; however, she quit the party in 2019. In 2014, she was appointed as a member of the Committee on Empowerment of Women, Standing Committee on Science & Technology, and Environment & Forests. She was on the panel of the Joint Committee on the Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws and Miscellaneous Provision (Amendment) Bill in 2016. From 9 September 2017 to 16 August 2021, she served as the president of the All India Mahila Congress. In April 2018, she was designated as a member of The Central Advisory Committee for the National Cadet Corps. In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Sushmita Dev was defeated with a margin of 81596 votes by Dr Rajdeep Roy, a BJP candidate from Assam. Sushmita Dev quit the Indian National Congress in 2019 and joined the All India Trinamool Congress that sent her to the Rajya Sabha from West Bengal.
Only Woman Panel Member in the Amendment of ‘Prohibition of Child Marriage (Amendment) Bill’
In January 2022, Sushmita Dev, as a lawyer and member of Rajya Sabha, was the only woman in the panel of 31 members in the Standing Committee that was established to scrutinize the bill that proposed to increase the marriage age of Indian women from 18 to 21. This bill was categorised under the Prohibition of Child Marriage (Amendment) Bill handled by the Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports. On 2 January 2022, Sushmita Dev stated in a press conference that she was the only woman member in the Standing Committee, and she would try her best to make sure that every aspect of the bill must be extensively examined. She said,
The Standing Committee will be looking at the age barrier for women for marriage. I am the only female member in the Standing Committee which would be looking into it, but I will try my best to ensure that the Chairman of the Committee listens to every voice across the board.”
Sushmita Dev further continued the statement and said that this bill was a matter of sensitive concern. She said,
The idea of the Standing Committee is to scrutinise every aspect of the bill and to listen to different views and voices. It is a sensitive matter and everybody will be heard.”
Assets and Properties
- Cash: Rs. 67,856.45
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 47,77,498.50
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs. 98,50,040
- NSS, Postal Savings: Rs. 5,42,000
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 4,00,632
- Personal loans/advance given: Rs. 46,82,480
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 8,70,295
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 3,00,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 2,75,00,000
- Countries like China, France, Italy, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, the U.K., and the U.S.A. are the favourite travelling destinations of Sushmita Dev.
- Sushmita Dev is an active member of the Constitution Club in Delhi that offers a platform for its members to interact with the present and past Members of Parliament of India.
- Apart from being a politician and lawyer, Sushmita Dev is a good golf and cricket player.
- According to Sushmita Dev, she joined the All India Trinamool Congress in September 2021 because she was attracted to Mamata Banerjee‘s leadership when she defeated the Modi Shah-led BJP in West Bengal. In an interview with a media house, she stated that it was a huge national impact. She narrated,
I was attracted to the TMC and to Mamata Banerjee’s leadership because of her recent assembly election victory against the Modi Shah-led BJP in West Bengal, in spite of them using money power, misusing the Election Commission of India, the central forces, the central agencies… it has made a huge national impact. People are increasingly seeing her as the one who can successfully give the Modi-Shah regime a decisive fight.”