Rani Nagar is a 2014 batch IAS officer of the Haryana cadre. She quit from her post on 4th May 2020, quoting threat to “Personal Safety on Government Duty” as the basis of her resignation.
Rani Nagar was born on Friday, 19th December 1986 (age 35 years: as in 2020), in Badarpur village of Dadri, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She completed her formal education from Uttar Pradesh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family and Caste
Parents & Siblings
The name of her father is Ratan Singh Nagar. She is also known to be close to her sister Reema Nagar, who stayed with her during the last two years of her term as an IAS officer. Reema Nagar has also been in the news stating the safety concerns of her sister. It is said that her brother lives abroad.
She is single and unmarried as of June 2020. She hasn’t unfolded anything about her love life to the public.
Rani Nagar cleared UPSC IAS exam in 2014 and was subsequently allotted Haryana Cadre. She has worked at several senior positions in different departments of Haryana Government. On 4th May 2020, she submitted a resignation letter and quit from her post, citing threat to her life on government duty.
Controversies & Resignation
Since the beginning, Rani Nagar has always been blatant about every misconduct that she encountered during her career. Her career has been overwhelmed with controversies. Here is the list of a few incidents she has proclaimed and reported in the six years of her IAS career.
- In 2015, while she was posted as an Assistant-commissioner in Ambala, she reported that she has withstood sexual harassment by her drivers. Women’s Web
- The same year, she also proclaimed that a senior IAS officer made indecent gestures to her. Women’s Web
- In 2016, when she was serving as DM of Kosli, she accused her seniors of sexual harassment and ill-treatment. Women’s Web
- The same year, she reported about an incident wherein an auto driver tried to abduct her. Jagran
- In December 2017, when she was serving in Sirsa district as the subdivisional magistrate of Dabawali, She had registered a case against a mysterious person who tried to trespass in her house. Financial Express
However, the most contentious accusation which attracted the public’s attention was the case of Rani Nagar accusing 1985-batch senior IAS Sunil K Gulati’s of misbehaviour & harassment while she was working with him during the year 2018.
नमस्कार।मैं आप सभी को मेरे हो रहे यौन शोषण बारे सूचित करना चाहती हू। मैंने दिनांक 09 मई 2018 से अतिरिक्त सचिव, पशुपालन…
However, Gulati denied the charges, saying Nagar appeared to be ‘under some stress’ and was complaining because she had ‘wilfully neglected’ his orders about attending meetings. He said he has called the state chief secretary and informed him about the issue, and he was ready to face any investigation. The Print Later, IAS Gulati was given a clean chit by the inquiry committee. On 17th April 2020, she released a video on her Facebook account, Rani Nagar said “I am posted as the Additional Director in the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment in Chandigarh. For the last 2 years, I along with my sister Rima Nagar have been living on rent in a one-room guest house in UT (Chandigarh). I was not given a house even after asking for it on many occasions. It is very difficult for two women to stay in a single room, for which we were facing a lot of problems. I have registered a case ( case number: 3573 of 2019) against Sunil K Gulati and a few Chandigarh police personals at Chief Judicial Magistrate. There is a threat to our lives while living here in lockdown. Hereby, I request the viewers to submit my testimony in the CJI court of law under the case number: 3573 of 2019, if we go untraceable or if we lose our lives”.
On April 23, She published a post on her Facebook account stating that she will resign from her post of Indian Administrative services once the Coronavirus lockdown is lifted. Later, on the 4th of May 2020, she filed her resignation and departed to her home in Ghaziabad.
Haryana Government has refused to accept her resignation and has suggested centre to change her cadre.
- A few significant politicians have responded on Rani Nagar’s resignation. Commenting on it, INC’s chief spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala termed her resignation ‘a shocking incident,’ moreover, he slammed the Haryana government for failing to protect IAS Rani Nagar. Deccan Herald BSP chief Mayavati also expressed her concern about the safety of a women bureaucrat in a tweet.
हरियाणा की महिला आईएएस अफसर रानी नागर को, ’नौकरी के दौरान अपनी जान को खतरा’ के कारण अन्ततः अपनी नौकरी से ही इस्तीफा देकर वापस अपने घर यूपी लौट आना पड़ा है, जो अति-दुःखद व अति-दुर्भाग्यपूर्ण। महिला सुरक्षा व सम्मान के मामले में ऐसी सरकारी उदासीनता व अन्यों की चुप्पी क्यों?
— Mayawati (@Mayawati) May 6, 2020
- On May 12, 2020, at Rani Nagar’s Ghaziabad residence, a masked man wearing a helmet and black glasses repeatedly kicked the main gate trying to break it. Amar Ujala Then, on 30th May 2020, nearly a month after her resignation, Rani Nagar and her sister were assaulted by a person, who used an iron rod to attack them. She shared information about both the incidents on her social media account.
मैं रानी नागर पुत्री श्री रतन सिंह नागर निवासी ग़ाज़ियाबाद गाँव बादलपुर तहसील दादरी ज़िला गौतमबुद्धनगर आप सभी को सूचित…
- After her resignation and continuous attack-attempts, her inclination towards Indian National Congress can be interpreted through her Facebook posts.