Sharad Arvind Bobde is the 47th Chief Justice of India (CJI). On 18 November 2019, he was sworn-in as the CJI by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind.
Sharad Arvind Bobde was born on Tuesday, 24 April 1956 (age 63 years; as in 2019) in Nagpur, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
He did his schooling from the St. Francis De’Sales High School in Nagpur, Maharashtra. He pursued Bachelor of Arts from the Nagpur University in 1975. He obtained his Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from Nagpur University in 1978.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Sharad Arvind Bobde belongs to a family of eminent lawyers. His father, Arvind Shriniwas Bobde was a famous lawyer and the Advocate General of Maharashtra. His mother’s name is Mukta Arvind Bobde. His elder brother, Vinod Arvind Bobde (deceased) was a senior advocate in the Supreme Court of India and a constitutional expert. His grandfather was also a lawyer.
His wife’s name is Kamini Bobde. They have a son, Shrinivas Bobde (Advocate), and two daughters, Savitri Bobde and Rukmini Bobde.
Sharad Arvind Bobde enrolled in the BAR Association of Maharashtra in 1978. He used to practice at the Nagpur Bench of the Bombay High Court and he also made appearances at the Principal Bench of the Bombay High Court. In 1998, after 20 years of practice, he was designated as a Senior Advocate. On 29 March 2000, he was elevated to the Principal Bench of the Bombay High Court as an Additional Judge. He served as an Additional Judge in the Bombay High Court for 12 years.
On 15 October 2012, Bobde was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court; after serving as an Additional Judge in the Bombay High Court for 12 years. He served as the Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court till 11 April 2013, after which he was nominated by the then Chief Justice of India, Altamas Kabir, to be a Supreme Court Judge. On 12 April 2013, he was appointed as a Supreme Court Judge by the then President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
On 18 October 2019, the Chief Justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi, started the process of the appointment of the next Chief Justice of India by sending a letter to the Union Law Minister of India, Ravi Shankar Prasad; seeking the appointment of the next CJI and recommending Bobde’s name as his successor. Gogoi is set to retire on 17 November 2019, and Bobde will take charge as the 47th Chief Justice of India from 18 November 2019 fro 17 months.
Salary & Net Worth
- Salary: 2.50 lacs per month + other allowances (as a Supreme Court Judge) Wikipedia
- Net Worth: 59.47 lacs (as in September 2013)
- On 25 July 2012, he was honoured with a memento by the BAR Association of Udaipur on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee.
- Bobde is considered to be very close to Ranjan Gogoi. Reportedly, Gogoi distributed pastries to his colleagues and office staff; the day when Gogoi recommended Bobde’s name to the Union Law Minister, Ravi Shankar Prasad for the post of the Chief Justice of India.
- Bobde loves playing cricket and he plays whenever he gets the chance. He is also one of the players in the “CJI XI” team. He actively takes part in the annual cricket match played between the “Chief Justice of India XI” and the “Supreme Court BAR Association XI.”
- On 29 October 2019, the Government of India announced that Sharad Arvind Bobde will be the 47th Chief Justice of India. Reportedly, he will serve the post of the CJI till 23 April 2021.
References [ + ]