Sandeep Singh is a Punjab-based Sikh youth, who is responsible for the assassination of Shiv Sena leader Sudhir Suri in Amritsar (Punjab). He is associated with ‘Waris Punjab De,’ a militant Sikh organization.
Sandeep Singh (aka Bhai Sandeep Singh Damdami Taksal) alias Sunny India Today was born in 1991 (age 31 years; as of 2022) in Punjab, India. He is a resident of Kashmir Avenue, Sultanwind, Amritsar (Punjab). India Narrative
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information available about his parents and siblings.
Wife & Children
Sandeep Singh is married and has two children.
Sandeep Singh follows Sikhism.
Involvement in Sudhir Suri’s murder
On the afternoon of 4 November 2022 (Friday), Punjab-based Shiv Sena leader Sudhir Suri was staging a protest outside Gopal Temple in Kashmir Avenue locality, Amritsar (Punjab), over the idols and painting of Hindu gods in the garbage dumps when he was shot dead by Sandeep Singh. Hindustan Times Reportedly, Sandeep shot him 5 times with a .32-bore licensed weapon. Hindustan Times Sudhir was in a heated argument with two police officers when the gun fires were made. He was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he was declared brought dead.
— Amit sharma (@editor_amit) November 4, 2022
Sandeep Singh was arrested on the spot and his weapon was seized.
After getting arrested, Sandeep admitted that he had never met Sudhir before. Sandeep, who is a member of a radical Sikh group called Waris Panjab De group, told the police that it was his own decision to kill Sudhir. He further denied getting any kind of instructions from this group. The supporters of the Shiv Sena leader, present at the crime scene, vandalized the killer’s car and the shop where he worked. Dainik Jagran
Other Criminal Activities
In 2016, Sandeep Singh of Damdami Taksal was attacked by a group of Sikhs at Gurdwara Bhai Ram Singh, Vishwakarma Colony of Shimlapuri, in Ludhiana. His car was also smashed by the angry mob. Later, the police arrested the accused members of the attack, including the main accused Joga Singh Khalistani. This incident took place when Gurdial Singh, president of the management committee of the gurdwara, was honouring Sandeep Singh with a Siropa (a form of felicitation), which offended a certain group of Sikhs. They gave Sandeep Singh the title of a killer. The angry mob protested the ceremony and exclaimed,
Killers can’t be awarded with a siropa.”
The activists of both groups got into a heated argument which led to a clash. Sandeep was then attacked by Harsimranjit Singh, Amandeep Singh, Jassi, and Amanjit Singh who tossed Sandeep’s turban during a heated argument. Sandeep managed to escape from the gurdwara with the help of his supporters. Punjab-Sikh activist Joga Singh and his aides chased his SUV and damaged the windowpanes.
He received minor injuries and was immediately rushed to DMC Hospital in Ludhiana. After receiving first aid, Sandeep went back to Amritsar. Later, he blamed Joga Singh Khalistani as the main culprit behind the attack. A few days later, Sandeep hit Joga Singh’s motorcycle from the back in which both of them received severe injuries. The Tribune On 6 October 2016, Joga Singh Khalistani, who is a member of Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar’s youth wing, died after being hit by an Innova car at the back of his motorcycle. A case was registered against Sandeep Singh and six others. It is reported that Sandeep was never taken into custody, while the others were bailed shortly after the accident.
- Sandeep Singh is associated with ‘Waris Punjab De,’ a radical Sikh “pressure group” formed by late actor-activist Deep Sidhu to deliberate on issues concerning Punjab, India. India Today
- After the attack on Sudhir Suri, the eyewitnesses informed the police that Sandeep’s car had several stickers that read ‘Waris Panjab De.’
- The police found photographs of Punjab Women Commission Manisha Gulati, Indian comedian Bharti Singh, and Dera Sachcha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim from Sandeep Singh’s car. India Today
- According to some media reports, Sandeep allied with Amritpal Singh, who was appointed as the head of ‘Waris Punjab De’ in October 2022.
- On 5 November 2022, a Canada-based gangster Lakhbir Singh Landa (alias Landa Harike) claimed the responsibility while sharing a Facebook post for the murder of Shiv Sena leader Sudhir Suri in Amritsar.
- Sandeep Singh owns a garment shop near Gopal mandir on Majitha road in Amritsar, Punjab. India Today
|↑1, ↑7, ↑9||India Today|
|↑3, ↑4||Hindustan Times|