Rakesh Sawant is an Indian filmmaker, producer, and screenplay writer. He has directed many Hindi films and music videos. In 2000, he founded Jaya Films production house and Jaya Music labels. He is the younger brother of the popular Indian dancer, model, and actress, Rakhi Sawant.
Rakesh Sawant was born on 23 October in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Rakesh Sawant belongs to a Marathi family in Mumbai.
Parents & Siblings
His step-father, Anand Sawant, was a senior Mumbai policeman, who died on 16 May 2012. The Times of India His mother, Jaya Bheda, passed away on 29 January 2023 after battling endometrial cancer. NDTV
He has two sisters named Rakhi Sawant, a dancer and actress, and Usha Sawant.
Wife & Children
He is married.
In 2001, he made his directorial debut with the Hindi film ‘Maut Ka Khel.’
In 2006, he directed two Hindi films titled ‘Hello? Kaun Hai!’ and ‘Hot Money.’ In the film ‘Hot Money,’ his sister, Rakhi Sawant, was also cast in a supporting role. In 2008, he directed a Hindi mystery romance film titled ‘Wafaa’ in which Rajesh Khanna was cast in the lead role as Amritlal Chopra. He directed the 2012 Hindi mystery film ‘Jaanleva Black Blood.’ In 2018, Rakesh Sawant and Rakhi Sawant directed a Tamil film titled ‘Amaavasai.’ In 2019, he directed the Hindi action drama film ‘Mudda 370 J&K.’ In the next year, he directed a Hindi thriller film titled ‘Vinash Kaal’ in which Rakhi Sawant appeared in a supporting role. In 2021, he directed a Hindi horror mystery film titled ‘The Dark Jungle.’
In 2013, he produced the Hindi version of the Australian action war film ‘Battle Ground.’
He was the producer of the Hindi version of the 2018 English film ‘The Bad Nun.’ In 2020, he produced the Hindi film ‘Vinash Kaal.’
In 2019, he wrote the screenplay of the Hindi film ‘Mudda 370 J&K.’
Later, he wrote the 2020 Hindi film ‘Vinash Kaal.’ In 2021, he wrote the script for the Hindi film ‘The Dark Jungle.’
Music Video Director
Rakesh Sawant is also a music director and has a music company named Jaya’s Music. He also has a YouTube channel, Jaya’s Music, with more than 35k subscribers. In 2022, he directed and choreographed the music video of the song ‘Koi Yaad Aa Gaya’ by Raj Barman from the album ‘Love Jihad.’ In the same year, he directed and choreographed the music video of the song ‘Mizaaj’ by Raj Barman from the album ‘Love Jihad 2.’ In February 2022, he directed and choreographed the music video of the song ‘Aaj Kal Khab’ by Kumar Sanu and Mishtu Bardhan from the album ‘Love Jihad 3.’ In 2022, he directed the music video of the song ‘Lover Boy’ by Raju Punjabi and release the music video on 7 March 2022.
Alleged Fraud of Rs 6 lakh
In 2017, Delhi Police lodged an FIR against Rakhi Sawant, Rakesh Sawant, and his business partner Raj Khatri. According to sources, Raj Khatri introduced Shailesh Srivastava, a retired bank employee, to Rakesh Sawant. Rakesh and Raj decided to make a film based on Gurmeet Ram Rahim’s life story and open an acting and dance institute in Vikaspuri, Delhi. Rakesh and Raj allegedly borrowed Rs 6 lakh from Shailesh and assured him that Rakhi would be a part of the institute. Later, they allegedly gave him a post-dated cheque of Rs 7 lakh, which because of the wrong signatures bounced back. In an interview, Rakesh talked about the matter and said that he opened an institute in Delhi in partnership with Raj and returned from Mumbai to Delhi to take care of his mother as she was sick. Later, when he went back to Delhi, he found his belongings and a chequebook missing. He filed one FIR in Delhi and one in Mumbai. He also said that Rakhi Sawant had nothing to do with the case, it was only between him and his partner, Raj Khatri. He said,
This matter is between me and my partner, Raj Khatri with whom I had opened an acting institute in Delhi under partnership when my mother fell seriously ill and I had to come to Mumbai for her treatment for a month. Later, when I went back, my partner had cheated me and all my belongings, including a chequebook, were missing from the office we had opened together. In fact, I had also filed two FIRs, one in Delhi and one in Mumbai for the missing chequebooks. And if you read carefully, the case is of the wrong signature on the cheque. I have enough proof to prove this wrong. And coming back to my sister Rakhi, she has nothing to do with this case. She in fact has no knowledge of the deal. Her name has been dragged into this controversy for no fault of hers.” The Times of India
Awards & Nominations
- 2022: Won Best Director Award for the 2019 Hindi film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Two Tone International Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Director Award for the 2019 Hindi film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Indie Shorts Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Screenplay Award for the 2019 Hindi film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Indie Shorts Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Film Award for the 2019 Hindi film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Indie Shorts Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Feature Film Award for the 2019 film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the 195 countries International Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Director Award for the 2019 film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Greenish Indie Filmmakers Film Festival
- 2022: Won Best Director Award for the 2019 film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at Dadasaheb Phalke Icon Award Films Organisation
- 2022: Nominated for Best International Feature Film for the 2019 film Hindi ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the 4th Nepal Cultural International Film Festival
- Rakesh Sawant has received more than 20 Awards for the Hindi action drama film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ released in 2019.
- He has worked with many well-known actors from Bollywood including Rajesh Khanna, Govardhan Asrani, Shakti Kapoor, Zarina Wahab, and Pankaj Dheer.
- His mother, Jaya Bheda, passed away in 2023. Reportedly, she wanted her son Rakesh Sawant to work with Salman Khan as her last wish. The Times of India
- In 2022, Hiten Tejwani, the lead actor in his 2019 film ‘Mudda 370 J&K,’ won the Best Actor Award for the film ‘Mudda 370 J&K’ at the Greenish Indie Filmmakers Film Festival.
- His sister, Rakhi Sawant, has worken in Hindi, Marathi, Kannada, Odia, Tamil, and Telugu film industries. The media often terms her the Drama Queen and Controversy Queen in the Industry.
- On 2 July 2022, she got married to a businessman named in a court; they had a nikah ceremony on 29 May 2022. In February 2023, Rakhi announced her separation from Adil after discovering Adil’s extra-marital affair with Tanu Chandel. In a media conversation, while talking about it, Rakhi said,
Adil ne finally decision le liya ki woh Tanu ke saath rehenge. Kal unhone bol diya mujhe, ki mai jaa raha hoon tumhe chod ke, mai Tanu ke saath rahunga. Mera Istemaal kiya Bollywood mai ane ke liye. Mai court jaungi. Mere saare paise unhone le liye. Mere pass saare proof hai.” International Business Times
- In November 2022, Sherlyn Chopra filed a complaint against Rakhi Sawant for defamation and sexual harassment. Hindustan Times On 19 January 2023, Rakhi Sawant was arrested following a complaint filed by Sherlyn Chopra. In an interview, Rakesh Sawant slammed Sherlyn Chopra for getting his sister arrested and said,
Sherlyn tum aayi kaha se ho? Tum bahar se ayi ho. Yaha ki paidaish ko kya? Tumhari itni aukaat hai kya? Rakhi yaha hi hain, Rakhi Maharashtrian hain. Tum aake kuch aisi vaisi harkatein karoge, jo hamari nayi ladkiyan industry mein aane wali hain, jo bacche industry mein aane wale hain, unpe kya asar padega?” India Today
- In February 2023, Rakhi Sawant filed an FIR at the Oshiwara Police Station in Mumbai against Adil Khan Durrani for allegedly thrashing her and taking away her money and jewellery. The Economic Times The police booked him under IPC Sections 406 and 420 and called him for interrogation. In an interview, Rakesh Sawant shared that after the death of their mother, he visited Rakhi Sawant to check up on her and found her crying. He found marks on Rakhi’s body and found out that Adil Khan Durrani beat her on the day of their mother’s death. They took Rakhi to a hospital and later, went to a police station to lodge a complaint against Adil Khan Durrani. He said,
Never thought that he will stoop down to such a level. We even forgave two or three times. The next day after the demise of our mother, when we went to Rakhi’s house to feed her, that time we noticed Rakhi’s face is swollen. She was crying, when our relatives asked her then she revealed that Adil has beaten her on the same day our mother passed away. And when we saw marks on Rakhi’s body, we got so angry that we requested Rakhi to get her medical done at Cooper hospital. Ahead of our mother’s 13th-day ritual, Rakhi’s and her mother’s jewellery and money were stolen. I spoke to Adil on the same day he raised his hand on my sister. He misbehaved with us over the call and he said it was our personal matter. But he can’t misbehave like this. And those who say Hindus and Muslims should unite in today’s time. This is the result.” The Indian Express