Rajeshwari Sachdev is an Indian actor and singer who is the wife of the Indian actor Varun Badola. She is the recipient of the National Film Award for the Hindi film ‘Sardari Begum’ in which she played the role of Sakina.
According to some sources, Rajeshwari Sachdev aka Raj Kaur Sachdev was born on Sunday, 14 April 1974, whereas according to her Twitter account, she was born on Saturday, 2 March 1974 (age 49 years; as of 2023) Twitter – Rajeshwari Sachdev in Mumbai. According to source one, her zodiac sign is Aries, and according to the second source, her zodiac sign is Pisces.
She did her schooling at Little Angels High School, Mumbai. She then attended Guru Nanak Khalsa College of Arts, Science & Commerce in Mumbai. Later, she pursued MA in English Literature at the University of Mumbai, Mumbai. Facebook – Rajeshwari Sachdev YouTube – Sansad TV
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Inderjeet Singh Sachdev, has been associated with the theatre group Indian People’s Theatre Association, Mumbai. Her mother’s name is Meenakshi Sachdev. Her younger brother, Jagmohan Sachdev, works at a customer’s transformational solutions company named Prime Focus Technologies in Mumbai.
Husband & Children
In 2001, she met the Indian actor Varun Badola for the first time on the sets of the Indian musical game show ‘Antakshri.’ Later, they worked together in a Hindi film released in 2004. They became good friends while shooting for the film, and soon, fell in love with each other. Within a few months of their courtship period, they got engaged on 19 April 2004, and on 24 November 2004, the couple got married.
On 10 May 2010, Rajeshwari gave birth to a baby boy at the Benzer Hospital, Lokhandwala, and they named him Devagya Badola.
Her father-in-law, Vishwa Mohan Badola, was a renowned actor and journalist. Her sister-in-law, Alka Badola, is an actor.
In childhood, she used to accompany her father to the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA) in Mumbai and after watching the theatre plays there, she developed an interest in acting. She was then selected to perform with the Balmanch Theatre Group, a young wing of IPTA. As a child artist, she performed in various theatre plays.
Later, she performed in various many plays like Shabd Leela and Gauhar.
In 1991, she made her debut as an actor with the Marathi film ‘Aayatya Gharat Gharoba’ in which she played the role of Kaanan.
She has appeared in a few other Marathi films like ‘Runh: The Debt’ (2015), ‘Welcome Zindagi’ (2015), ‘Firebrand’ (2018), and ‘Nazar Andaz’ (2022).
She made her Hindi film debut with ‘Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda’ (1993) in which she played the role of Jamuna.
She then acted in many popular Hindi films like ‘Mammo’ (1994), ‘English Babu Desi Mem’ (1996), ‘Hari-Bhari’ (2000), ‘Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero’ (2005), ‘Welcome to Sajjanpur’ (2008), and ‘Issaq’ (2013).
In 1993, she played the role of Yasodhara in her debut English film ‘Little Buddha.’
In 2009, she appeared in another English film ‘7 Days in Slow Motion.’
Rajeshwari made her Urdu film debut with ‘Sardari Begum’ (1996) as Sakina. She gained immense popularity with the film and also won the National Film Award for it.
She has also acted in Punjabi films. In 2004, she made her Punjabi film debut with ‘Mitter Pyare Nu Haal Mureedan Da Kehna’ in which she played the role of Preet.
Rajeshwari has also worked as an actor in various Hindi TV serials. She made her television debut with the Hindi TV serial ‘Margarita’ (1997) in which she played the titular role.
Some of her other Hindi TV serials are ‘Om Namah Shivay’ (1997; aired on DD National), ‘Laut Aao Trisha’ (2014; Life OK), ‘Balika Vadhu’ (2015; aired on Colors), ‘Peshwa Bajirao’ (2017; Sony), and ‘Shaadi Mubarak’ (2020; Star Plus).
From 1994 to 2001, she co-hosted the Zee TV musical show ‘Antakshari’ along with the Indian actor Annu Kapoor. In 2007, she hosted the Sony TV contest ‘K for Kishore.’
Rajeshwari is a singer too. In 1999, her debut Punjabi music album ‘Hulle Hullare’ was released, which became an instant hit.
In 2000, she released another Punjabi music album titled ‘Mukhda Piya Ka.’
Her music album ‘Ummang’ was released in 2004 and various folk songs were released in the album.
She has also performed live at various stage shows and other events.
In 2005, she acted in the Hindi television film ‘Phir Se.’ In the same year, she participated in the celebrity couple dance reality TV show ‘Nach Baliye’ along with her husband Varun Badola.
She has appeared in a few Hindi short films like ‘Taxi… an Uncertain Conversation’ (2021) and ‘Stories on the Next Page’ (2022).
Awards & Honours
- 1997: Won Best Supporting Actress by National Film Awards for the Urdu film Sardari Begum
- 1998: Won Best Actress by Screen Awards for the Hindi TV show Margarita
- 2011: Won Best Actress by Maharashtra State Film Awards for the Marathi film Aayatya Gharat Gharoba
- 2017: Won Best Actress in a Supporting Role by Indian Television Academy Award for the Hindi TV serial Peshwa Bajirao
- 2018: Won Best Supporting Actress by Lions Gold Awards for the Hindi film Peshwa Bajirao
- 2019: Nominated for Best Actress by Maharashtra State Film Awards for the Marathi film Aayatya Gharat Gharoba
- 2019: Won Best Actress in a Supporting Role by Indian Television Academy Award for the Hindi TV serial Dil Hi Toh Hai
- 2020: 7th World Women Leadership Congress and Awards by CMO Global
- 2021: Award of Recognition for the Hindi short film Taxi- An Uncertain Conversation by Best Shorts Competition
- 2021: Certificate of Achievement for the Hindi short film Taxi- An Uncertain Conversation by Indo-French International Film Festival
- 2021: Stree Shakti Sammaan by the Honourable Governor of Maharastra Bhagat Singh Koshiyari
- 2022: Herald Global Award
- Song(s): Hoon Abhi Main Jawan from the film Aar Paar (1954) by Geeta Dutt, Madhaniyan by Musarrat Nazir
- Film(s): Guide (1965), Padosan (1968), Pyar Kiye Jaa (1986)
- At the age of 5, she started her training in Bharatanatyam at Sri Rajarajeswari Bharata Natya Kala Mandir in Mumbai. For almost 14 years, she did her training in Bharatanatyam.
- While she was studying in school, she used to participate in various athletic competitions and dance competitions. The first award she ever won was the best athlete award in her school.
- She is an avid animal lover and has two pet dogs named Sargeant and Sadhu.
- In 2017, she was invited as a guest speaker at TEDx MICA.
- She was once featured on the cover of Femina magazine along with the Indian actress Neha Dhupia.