Namrata Shrestha is a Nepali actress, filmmaker, and entrepreneur. She began her acting career with the movie Sano Sansar in 2008 that was directed by Alok Nembang. In 2015, she started her own film production company Highly High Entertainment. She is also a Nepali singer and a radio jockey.
Namrata Shrestha was born on Friday, 14 June 1985 (age 36 years; as of 2021) in Dharan, Nepal. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Her parents’ names are not known.
Namrata Shrestha has an elder brother.
Namrata Shrestha was in a relationship with Ramon Das Shrestha.
Soon, their relationship ended and, she was seen dating DJ Tantrik in 2009. However, this relationship did not last long. In 2012, she was in a relationship with Prem Ghale, an owner of a restaurant and a manpower company in Nepal.
In 2020, she was seen dating Dawa Steven Sherpa, a Nepali entrepreneur.
In 2008, Namrata Shrestha made her debut in the film industry with the romantic comedy movie Sano Sansar. Namrata Shrestha played the character of Ritu in the film.
In 2009, she appeared in the romantic comedy movie titled Mero Euta Saathi Chha. Later, Namrata Shrestha was cast in a high budget film titled Chhadke. Saugat Malla, Dayahang Rai and Robin Tamang were the other cast of the movie. Shortly afterwards, she appeared in the movie Maun where she played the character of a mute woman. In 2015, Namrata worked in the movie named Soul Sister where she played twin characters. In the same movie, she also sang the song ‘Bistarai Bistarai.’
In 2016, Namrata Shrestha appeared opposite Nepali actor Aryan Sigdel in the movie named Classic. Namrata received worldwide critical acclaim for her movie Prasad where she played the role of Narayani in 2018. In the following year, Namrata Shrestha was featured in the film Xira. This was an action movie, where she performed real stunts and shaved off her head. After the release of the movie, The Kathmandu Post, a leading online media house in Nepal commented on the film by making it their headline. It read,
Xira the film won’t let you admire Xira the character.”
In 2010, Namrata Shrestha marked her theatre debut with the drama titled Jalpari. In 2011, she acted in the show ‘Oleanna’ where she played the character of Carol. In 2014, she acted in the drama titled ‘Yerma’ where she played the role of Yerma. In 2017, she worked in the play Golden Boy where she played the character of Lorna Moon.
Apart from being an actress, Namrata Shrestha is also a film producer. She began her own production company named Highly High Entertainment in 2015. This company is considered one of the leading companies in the field of Nepali Performing Arts and Entertainment. Under this banner, Namrata produced Nepal’s first Psychological Thriller movie Soul Sister in 2015 that earned great acclaim. In 2016, Highly High Entertainment organised Nepal’s first Hip Hop and Rap or NepHop concert in Basantapur Durbar Square, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This concert was attended by approximately 7000 audiences. In 2017, a play named Golden Boy was co-produced by Highly High Entertainment that was a classic American play by Clifford Odets.
Namrata Shrestha is also a singer, a radio jockey, an entrepreneur and a proficient filmmaker. In 2015, she released a song titled ‘Bistarai Bistarai’ in the movie Soul Sister, and a song titled Sundar Shristi in 2016 from the movie Classic.
In 2009, a sex video of Namrata and a Nepali DJ named Tantric went viral on various internet websites and mobile phones. A Nepali newspaper named Naya Patrika daily reported against the video soon after its release and asked Namrata Shrestha to comment on the matter. She then replied,
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2014: Namrata Shrestha won the INFA Awards at Hong Kong for the Best Actor (Female) category for the film Maun.
- 2015: Namrata Shrestha was nominated for the NEFTA Awards and the Popular Actress of the year for her film November Rain.
- 2016: Namrata Shrestha was honoured with the D Cine Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) and the National Film Award for Best Actress for her movie Classic. She also won the FAAN Awards and the LG Film Awards for the film Classic.
- 2018: She bagged the D Cine Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) and the 4th Global Nepali Film Award for the Star of the Year (Female) for her movie Prasad.
- Namrata Shrestha is a compassionate animal lover. She often posts pictures of her pet dog Bally on her social media account.
- Several renowned magazines and tabloids often feature Namrata Shrestha on their cover page.
- In 2019, Namrata Shrestha was honoured with the “Rashtriya Nawadurga Samman 2076.”