Mukta Puntambekar is a renowned Indian social activist and the daughter of Anil Awachat, a prominent Marathi author and social activist based in Pune.
Mukta Puntambekar was born on 14 June in Pune, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She did her schooling at MES Sou Vimlabai Garware High School in Pune. In 1993, she completed her graduation at the University of Pune. Mukta Puntambekar’s Facebook Account Later, Mukta Puntambekar earned a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology. Muktangan
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Anil Awachat was a noted physician, author, and de-addiction activist in Pune, Maharashtra. He died in 2022. Her mother, Anita Awachat, was a physician and social worker. Anita died in 1997 after battling from cancer.
Mukta Puntambekar has two sisters named Yashoda Wakankar (social activist) and Aditi Awachat. She has a brother named Akshay Awachat.
Husband & Children
On 28 February 1994, Mukta Puntambekar got married to Ashish Puntambekar, a software engineer. The couple has a daughter named Kaveri Puntambekar, and a son named Ishan Puntambekar.
In 2022, Mukta Puntambekar appeared in a small role in the Marathi film Ekta Kay Jala.
After completing her formal education, Mukta Puntambekar joined ‘Muktangan,’ a rehabilitation centre in Pune, Maharashtra, as a clinical psychologist. Her father, Anil Awachat, and his wife, Anita Awachat, founded Muktangan in 1986, which soon received support from different sections of civil society including Marathi cultural icon PL Deshpande. Initially, it was a division at the Yerwada Mental Hospital but later expanded to independent facilities nearby, with male and female wards and expert assistance for addiction recovery. Anil Awachat was also recognized for promoting the anti-superstition movement in Maharashtra.
Mukta Puntambekar often attends various charitable functions and events as a chief guest. She follows Gandhian principles and frequently participates in panel discussions on addiction.
In 2023, she appeared on the television reality show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’ to earn money for charitable purposes.
Awards & Honour
- In 2023, Mukta Puntambekar was felicitated with the Suryadatta Rashtriya Stree Shakti Award from the Governor of Maharashtra.
- She was the recipient of the Snehadhara Gaurav Puraskar in 2018.
- In 2012, Mukta Puntambekar received contribution cheques from Aamir Khan on behalf of the Association For Scientific And Academic Research (ASAR) during a live show on STAR TV.
- She likes trekking, skiing, cycling, travelling, and social work in her free time.
- Once, Mukta Puntambekar shared in a media interview that Indian actress Deepti Naval was one of her favourite actresses in Bollywood, and she likes to read Deepti Naval’s novels.
- She often participates in marathons and races with her family.
- When asked about her interests, Mukta Puntambekar once shared in a media discussion that she loved her hometown, Pune, and enjoyed spending Sundays at the hills and forts of Pune.