Saravanan is an Indian actor who mainly appears in Tamil films.
Saravanan is an Indian actor, director, and poet. He was born on 10 October 1966 (52 years old; age in 2018) into a Tamil Family in Salem. Saravanan has played the lead role in nearly 26 films from 1991 to 1998. Saravanan came into the spotlight with the 2007 movie “Paruthiveeran.” He is considered the doppelganger of actor Vijaykanth. After his stint in the acting industry, Saravanan became a director. Saravanan has also penned down many poems.
Saravanan was second of his five siblings. His father was an Inspector in Police whereas his mother was a nurse. Saravanan obtained his Bachelor’s degree of Arts in Tamil Literature from the Government Arts College of Salem. He completed his acting course from Adyar Film Institute.
Saravanan got married to Surya Shanthi in 1996 and the couple has a son.
Saravanan started his career in the early 90s and has acted in a number of rural-themed Tamil films. Saravanan was the leading actor from 1991 to 1998. He played the lead in nearly 26 films. He marked his debut in the Tamil film industry in 1991 with “Vaidhehi Vanthachu.” However, by the end of the 90s, his acting career did not see any further growth.
Saravanan was a producer of the 1998-release “Santosham.” Since the movie was not a blockbuster hit, Saravanan started organizing music shows overseas to clear the losses incurred. He ventured into the arena of direction with the movie “Thaayumaanavan.”
He made a comeback in 2001 with a supporting role in “Nandha.” However, it was “Paruthiveeran,” which released in 2007, that brought him back into the limelight.
His acting in Paruthiveeran was not only critically acclaimed but also paved the way for a number of film offers. He was offered a special appearance in the 2007-release “Veeramum Eeramum” which was based on the real life of Venkatesa Pannaiyar.
In 2019, he marked his debut in the television industry by participating in the Season 3 of the entertainment reality show “Bigg Boss” (Tamil).
- Filmfare Awards for Best Supporting Actor- Tamil for the role of Chevvaazhai in “Paruthiveeran”
- His role in the movie “Paruthiveeran” won him critical acclaims in India and abroad.
- Saravanan did a negative role for the first time in “Nandha.” He mentioned, “Ironically, it is the role which I dislike the most.”
- According to Saravanan, the most cherished moment in his life was getting a pat from Rajnikanth for his performance in “Paruthiveeran.” The actor was quoted saying, “I waited outside the preview hall to know Rajnikanth’s comments. He was busy chatting with Karthi and also was mobbed by fans. So I left for home. But much to my surprise, I got a call from the superstar and he appreciated my acting. I can never forget that moment in my life.”
- After his role in “Paruthiveeran,” he was flooded with acting proposals and got nearly 30 film offers.
- In November 2018, he was diagnosed with H1N1 and admitted to a private hospital.