Manu Bhaker is a professional shooter, who rose to glory after representing India at the 2018 ISSF World Cup. She became the youngest Indian to win two gold medals in a World Cup and set a new Commonwealth Games record at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. Let’s get into details about this young achiever’s personal and professional life.
Manu Bhaker was born on 18 February 2002 (age 16; as in 2018), in Goria a village in Jhajjar, Haryana. She studied at Universal Public Senior Secondary School, situated in the same town.
Height: 5’ 4”
Weight: 50 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Born into a Jat Family, Manu Bhaker’s father, Ram Kishan Bhaker is a Chief Engineer in Merchant Navy and mother, Sumedha is a School Teacher. She has one brother, Akhil.
Before starting her career as a Professional Shooter, Manu Bhaker joined Virender Sehwag’s coaching school in Jhajjar and also used to do Boxing and Kick-boxing. She quit boxing due to her eye injury while playing volleyball, during a warm-up session.
From Tha-thang to Judo, she enrolled herself in various other sports, but it did not interest her, and she quit soon enough.
Eventually, she visited her school’s shooting range and casually took a pistol and straightaway shot 7.5. Since her first tryst with a pistol, Manu Bhaker has been raved about as India’s next big shooting sensation.
Her mentor is Jaspal Rana, who inspired her to take shooting seriously.
Manu Bhaker’s favourite Shooters include her coach Jaspal Rana and Heena Sidhu.
She likes to eat Namkeen Rice, Gajjar Ka Raita and Choorma.
After becoming the first Indian shooter to win a gold at Youth Olympics, Haryana Sports Minister, Anil Vij had tweeted that Haryana Government will give a cash prize of ₹ 2 crore to Manu Bhaker.
The pistol shooter is now in the news for posting a screenshot of Vij’s tweet in which he has promised her the cash prize and has asked if it was really a promise or just some phrases. It initiated a controversy and left the Sports Minister in fumes.
- Manu Bhaker was born to a Merchant Navy Chief Engineer, in Goria, a small village in Jhajjar, Haryana.
- Manu Bhaker’s parents consider her a very adventurous and courageous girl.
- Her hobbies include needlework, bungee-jumping and ice-skating.
- Before choosing Shooting as a career, Manu Bhaker had switched to various other sports- from Judo, Kick-boxing, Tha-thang to Cricket.
- Manu’s father still doubts if she would continue her career in shooting in future or not.
- At the 2017 National Games, held in Kerela, she won 9 gold medals and defeated Heena Sidhu, while breaking Heena Sidhu’s record of 240.8 points, scoring 242.3.
- At the 2018 International Shooting Sports Federation World Cup, held in Guadalajara, Mexico, Manu Bhaker defeated Mexico’s Alejandra Zavala (a two-time champion) and won the gold medal in the Women’s 10-meter air pistol. She also became the youngest Indian to win a gold medal at the World Cup.
- Manu Bhaker set a new Commonwealth Games Record of 240.9 points at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.
- In January 2019, she got involved in a war of words with Anil Vij, Haryana’s Sports Minister on Twitter; regarding his promise of giving her a cash prize of ₹2 crore on behalf of Haryana Government.