Aniyan Midhun is an Indian Wushu player who is known for being the first South Indian to represent India in International Wushu. He gained the limelight after appearing as a contestant on the Bigg Boss (Malayalam season 5) reality show on the Asianet channel in 2023.
Aniyan Midhun was born as Midhun Mohan The New Indian Express on Thursday, 18 June 1992 (age 31 years; as of 2023) in Nattika, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Gemini. His hometown is Thrissur, Kerala. He did his schooling at Bharath Vidya Mandir English School, Valapad, Kerala and V.P.M.S.N.D.P.Higher Secondary School, Kazhimbram, Kerala. He pursued a B.Sc Multimedia course at ICAT Design and Media College, Bangalore. Aniyan Midhun – Facebook He was born into a family that was dependent on fishing for their earning. His family also used to cultivate rice and bananas. In an interview, he said that when he was a child, he used to spend most of his time on the beach which grew his love for the sea. Aniyan Midhun – Instagram He was always interested in sports as a child, so when he was in class 5, he started Karate coaching in his hometown. In school, he was taught the basic of the game for just one period, but once his love for the game grew, he and his friend decided to practise after school. They used to train at the beach which helped him have good stamina. He started training in Karate, then kickboxing and later, he decided to learn Wushu when he was in class 7. He holds a black belt in Karate and kickboxing. In an interview, he said that his training cost a lot, so he used to earn money by farming, fishing and selling bananas with his family. He used to attend college and did training after helping his family.
Height (approx.): 6′ 0″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): – Chest 44′ Waist 32′ Biceps 14′
Parents & Siblings
Aniyan’s father’s name is Mohan, who worked as a fisherman. His mother’s name is Ponnamma. He has a younger sister, Gopika, who works as a physiotherapist.
He is unmarried.
Aniyan follows Hinduism.
On 31 March 2021, he made his debut in the South Asian Wushu Championship in Nepal in the 70 kg category where he won the gold medal.
In 2022, he became the World Champion in Wushu Sanda and won the gold medal in World Pro Wushu Sanda Fight held in Thailand.
In 2017, he joined Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council and Jammu and Kashmir Wushu Association and started playing Wushu for them. He has played for other associations including Kerala State Sports Council and Sports Authority of India.
On 26 March 2023, he made his debut on television as a contestant on the Bigg Boss (Malayalam season 5) reality show on the Asianet channel.
- 2021: World record for being the first South Indian to represent India in International Wushu The Times of India
- 2021: World Record Holder for the fastest knockout in a match against Pakistan The Times of India
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2021: Best Athlete of the Year Awardee
- 2021: World’s Best fighter Award by the Government of Nepal
- 2022: Human Rights Nobel Award by the Global Human Rights Trust for exceptional services, and performance of the highest order, without distinction of caste, colour, creed, religion and sex
- 2022: World Best Fighter Awardee
- He is known by the name ‘Son of the Arabian Sea’ by his friends, family and teammates. The Times of India
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In 2010, after he started pursuing his graduation, he realized that he wanted to learn Wushu professionally, so he moved to Kashmir for training. He started training under Kuldeep Kumar Handoo, who is an Arjuna Award winner. In an interview, he talked about training under him and said,
I go to Kashmir to practice under Hundu almost every year. I generally stay there for a long time and at that time I get an opportunity to improve my endurance, fitness, speed, and strength through training on the mountain. Wushu is a game that is similar to all the games such as kickboxing, martial arts, and boxing. So, I need to develop all these ingredients.”
- In an interview, he said that he was the first person from his village to choose Wushu as his sport and learned it professionally. He further added that not many people were aware of the game at that time, so when he was selected for team India, everyone in his village used to ask what Wushu was. In the interview, he further added that when he started playing, there were not many opportunities for eclectic combat sports.
- He plays for KAKO (Keranadu Association of Kickboxing Organizations). In 2015, he became the national champion in kickboxing for the Indian Association of Kickboxing.
- In an interview, he said that there are many things while practising that are easier for him in cities than in villages because he worked hard as there was no equipment in the village. In an interview, he gave an example of this and said that he finds it easy to run on a treadmill because he used to train on the sand in his village which was many times harder than running on a machine.
- He is a martial arts and fitness trainer and trains many celebrities including Shafna, Roshan Basheer, Prayaga Martin, and Amith Chakalakkal.
- In an interview, he mentioned that he wanted to open a sports school for children in his village who were talented. He wanted to train them for free. He trains 70 students in his hometown and some of them have already won national-level medals.
- He is the brand ambassador of Absolute Nutrition and Garmin.
- During a task in Bigg Boss (Malayalam season 5), he shared that he once fell in love with a lady commando. He said that he was once in Kashmir for his Wushu camp where the wing of the Indian Army was in charge of their security. There he met a Punjabi girl named Sana, who was a commando. Sana had a crush on him and proposed to him. She even presented him with her favourite guitar. Initially, he rejected her proposal. Later, he went to her home in Punjab for all-India travel. They became friends and started spending time with each other. The Times of India He further said,
We went to her home in Punjab, we had an all-India travel. The bond got deeper and she proposed to me again. Even then, I didn’t give her a yes. But, the next day, I rushed to her camp and apologized to her. The scene I was seeing was, she is standing in front of a table with new weapons, guns, and more. She was getting ready for a mission and bid her goodbye. I told all my friends that I am going to propose to her. I even bought a ring. Days passed and I came to know that she got killed. She was hit by a bullet on her forehead and she is no more. I was sad that I shouldn’t tell my love to her. But, I was proud that she has sacrificed her life for our country. While I was writing this, I recollected the moment of hugging her Indian Flag clad dead body.”