H. C. Verma is an Indian experimental physicist and a retired professor of Physics from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. His field of research is nuclear physics. H. C. Verma is well-known as the author of a two-volume book Concepts of Physics.
H. C. Verma (full name Harish Chandra Verma) was born on Tuesday, 8 April 1952 (age 69 years; as of 2021) in Darbhanga, Bihar. His zodiac sign is Aries. After completing his schooling from Darbhanga, Verma enrolled at Patna Science College to pursue a B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Physics. Verma earned the B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Physics with good marks, and he stood third in the university. Later, he took admission at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, where he pursued M.Sc. (Physics), and then, he earned his Ph.D. in 1979.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Gray (semi-bald)
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
H. C. Verma’s father’s name is Ganesh Prasad Verma who was a teacher and had his own school in Samastipur. H. C. Verma’s mother’s name is Ramvati Verma. H. C. Verma has an elder brother, Devi Prasad Verma.
Wife & Children
H. C. Verma is unmarried and has no children.
Birth of the book Concepts of Physics
In 1980, after completing his formal education, H. C. Verma joined Patna Science College as a lecturer. While working as a lecturer, H. C. Verma realized that students were facing major problems in understanding the simple concepts of Physics, and he always wanted to bring an easy to understand version of the renowned Physics book, Resnick & Halliday as this version was not available in the market, so Mr. Verma decided to write himself a textbook based on the concepts of Physics that can be easily read and understand by anyone. After spending eight years, Mr. Verma finally published a two-volume book, Concepts of Physics, in 1992.
His stint at the IIT Kanpur
In 1994, Verma left his job at Patna Science College and began working as an assistant professor at the IIT Kanpur, where he taught many professional and core courses like quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, nuclear physics, etc.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Siksha Puruskar in 2017
- Padma Shri in 2020
After a Twitter handle ‘Real Heroes’ shared a post about H. C. Verma that he had been receiving Rs. 1 crore as royalty from his book ‘Concepts of Physics’ and he donated the amount to PM’s relief fund and other charitable trusts, Mr. Verma, through a Facebook post, refuted the claims made in the Twitter post; the Twitter post also claimed that Mr. Verma owned a Bajaj Priya scooter that he used to drive most of the times. Later, many Facebook and Twitter users took the side of Mr. Verma to spread awareness against the fake news. India Today
- According to H. C. Verma, he was not a meritorious student in school, and he struggled to pass his school examinations. In an interview, while sharing an anecdote from his childhood, Mr. Verma revealed that when he was in the tenth standard, his mother was preparing his favourite sweets on the occasion of Chhath Puja, and she told him that she would give him two pieces of the sweets for every hour that he would spend on his studies. According to Mr. Verma, the incident led him to focus more on his studies, and later, he passed almost all his exams with flying colours.
- While working as a professor at the IIT Kanpur, H. C. Verma started an NGO called Shiksha Sopan along with several other faculty members and students. The NGO focuses on providing educational aid to those children who live near the IIT Kanpur campus and cannot afford to pay for their education.
- H. C. Verma has been an active member of the Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT). He started a new project called the National Anveshika Network of India (NANI) in 2011, and IAPT helped Mr. Verma opening-up several centres of NANI in more than twenty-two cities across India. More than 1000 schools and colleges gained the benefits of the initiative as NANI conducted several training activities, teaching aid development classes, etc. in these schools and colleges.
- H. C. Verma has developed almost 600 physics experiments, which are used by several teachers and professors as demo experiments in their classrooms. While serving as a lecturer, H. C. Verma also developed various informal and open-ended experiments that can be carried out by a student in the classroom where they can assemble and perform the experiments on their own. H. C. Verma has also conducted various workshops for the Physics teachers to teach them about some demo-based training methods which would help the students to connect science with real life.
- He has trained more than 8000 teachers with his workshops, and over 1000 teachers have changed their way of teaching. The National Academy of Science India (NASI) provides the funding for organizing these workshops.
- H. C. Verma is fond of yoga, and he is often spotted practising yoga with his family and students.
- H. C. Verma has a YouTube account where he uploads videos on various topics related to Physics and gives certain real-life examples.
- On 30 June 2017, H. C. Verma retired from the IIT Kanpur as a professor of Physics. In July 2017, the YouTube channel ‘The Viral Fever’ made a video on H. C. Verma and uploaded it on their channel in his honor.