Dr Randeep Guleria is a renowned pulmonologist and the incumbent Director of AIIMS, Delhi. In 2015, he was felicitated with Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award in the Republic of India.
Randeep Guleria was born on Sunday, 5 April 1959 (age 61 years; as of 2020) in Kangra, Himachal Pradesh. He completed his schooling from Delhi’s St. Columba’s School in 1975. Thereafter, he did his undergraduate degree in Medicine from Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital (IGMC), Shimla, and later, he joined the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGI), Chandigarh to secure a master’s degree in general medicine and pulmonary medicine. He also holds a Doctorate of Medicine in the Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine from AIIMS, Delhi.
He is the only child of a general physician and the former Dean and Professor of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Dr Jagdev Singh Guleria. Dr J. S. Guleria is also a Padma Shri awardee.
Dr Guleria is married to a gynaecologist Dr Kiran Guleria.
Randeep Guleria worked as an assistant professor in PGI, Chandigarh from 1984 to 1992. In 1992, he joined the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) as an Assistant Professor and later rose to the ranks of professor, the head of the Department of Pulmonology and Sleep Disorders. In 2011, he established India’s first centre for respiratory diseases and sleep medicine at AIIMS (Delhi). He is known for his dynamic leadership in the Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Sleep Disorders at AIIMS (Delhi), and it was under his leadership that the department was awarded as the best department in pulmonary medicine consecutively for three years: 2014, 2015, and 2016 by the NIELSEN survey. In 2017, he was chaired as the Director of AIIMS (Delhi). He will stay on the post for a period up to 5 years or till the age of 65 years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Dr Randeep Guleria is one of the prominent Indian medical experts and has been associated with various medical organisations and agencies. Here are a few:
- Associated to World Health Organisation– He is a member of WHO’s Scientific Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on immunisation and influenza vaccination.
- Consultant to IAEA- He is a consultant to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Vienna for addressing various issues related to radiation protection.
- He is also a member Indian National Task Force of COVID-19.
Awards & Achievements
Dr Guleria’s efforts in medical science have been constantly acknowledged with various awards and recognition.
- In 2010, he received Zee TV and LIC “Swasth Bharat Award.”
- In 2011, he was awarded the Himachal Gaurav Award.
- In 2014, he received “Lung India Award” for the best article in Lung India by Indian Chest Society.
- He was awarded with the esteemed Dr. B. C. Roy National Awards for the year 2014 in the category “Eminent Medical Person.”
- He was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, in 2015.
- Dr Randeep Guleria was a personal physician of the former prime minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee. According to him, Atal Bihari had great respect for doctors and would often invite him for dinner at his residence.
- Out of 268 articles of Dr Guleria’s research and findings, 117 of them have been published by ResearchGate (an online knowledge repository).
- Dr Randeep Guleria is a receiver of Raj Nanda Pulmonary Disease Fellowship and is also an elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences.