Eka Lakhani is an Indian costume designer, known for her work in bollywood and south Indian films.
Eka Lakhani (age 34 years; as of 2022). She is born in Mumbai, Maharastra, India. Eka is an Indian costume designer and stylist. In 2005, Eka joined SNDT (Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University) for a fashion designing course. Later in 2008, Eka moved to New York, where she joined the Fashion institute for technology to groom up her skills. LinkedIn when she was in New York, she was also working on a magazine, writing about high fashion. After a year, Eka returned back from New York, and she joined Sabyasachi Mukherjee her mentor, as an assistant costume designer for Mani Ratnam’s movie Raavan in 2010. Mani Ratnam was very impressed by Eka’s work in his movie, Raavan, so he signed her to be the main costume designer for his next film, Kadal. Eka Lakhani worked with directors like Rajkumar Hirani and Karan Johar. She designed costumes for celebrities like Ranveer Singh, Sonakshi Sinha, Kiara Advani, and Aditi Rao Hydari. Apart from Bollywood, Eka also worked in South Indian films. Later in 2019, Eka founded “Team E”, which included experienced designers who worked on various projects under her supervision. The first project done by Team E was the Madras Talkies in 2020.
Parents & Siblings
Eka Lakhani’s father’s name is Bharat Lakhani. He is a renowned business tycoon in the field of textile in Mumbai, India. Eka Lakhani’s mother’s name is Jayshree Lakhani.
Eka Lakhani’s brother’s name is Beej Lakhani. He is a professional photographer.
As a Costume Designer
In 2010, Eka Lakhani returned back from New York, and she joined Sabyasachi Mukherjee as an assistant costume designer in Mani Ratnam’s movie, Raavan. Later, Mani Ratnam signed Eka as a full-time costume designer for his next film Kadal, as he was impressed by Eka’s work. Eka Lakhani worked in a number of Bollywood films like Nh10, Ok Jaanu, Soorma, The sky is Pink, and Sanju. Apart from this, she also worked in web series like The Lust story and Queen. Apart from Bollywood, Eka worked in South Indian films like Urumi, Ok Kanmani, Kaatru Veliyidai, Iru Mugan, and in 2020 Ponniyin Selvan. Eka also worked in AR Rahman’s songs. E Times
As an Actress
Eka Lakhani apart from costume designing also played a minor role in movies like Kadal and One by Two. Eka was also a child artist, she acted in the movie Abhay in 1994.
- Eka Lakhani received the best costume designer award for a Tamilian film, in 2021.
- Actor: Ranbir Kapoor.
- According to Eka Lakhani, she loves to dress Aditi Rao Hydari.
- As per Eka Lakhani, she enjoys working more on biopics and documentaries.
- According to Eka, she once took an oath that she would go to Tirupati and tonsure her head if she becomes the main costume designer of Mani Ratnam.
- Eka Lakhani from her childhood days always surrounded herself with paintings, art, and books.
- According to Eka Lakhani, it was Eka’s dream to work with Rajkumar Hirani.
- As per Eka, for one of the songs of the film OK Jannu she designed Shraddha Kapoor‘s costume from her father’s favourite cushion covers.
- In an interview, Eka said that her father is her role model. During her childhood days, her favourite place was her father’s cupboard, where she used to sit with all her father’s shirts.
- Whenever Eka Lakhani meets someone for the first time she always wears a white shirt and blue jeans.