Debshankar Haldar or Debsankar Halder is an Indian is a Bengali theatre and film actor. He has worked with many popular Bengali theatre groups, including “Nandikar,” “Rangapat,” “Natyaranga,” “Sudrak,” “Gandhar,” “Bratyajon,” “Sansriti,” and “Blank Verse.”
Debshankar Haldar was born on Friday, 8 January 1965 (age 55 years; as in 2020) in Kolkata. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his graduation from Scottish Church College at the University of Calcutta. While in college, Haldar was a part of the Student Politics. Since his father was a Bengali actor, he introduced Debshankar to world of theatre. In 1986, he joined a workshop organised by Nandikar to learn acting. During the workshop he got so involved in acting that he decided to become a theatre artist.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Debshankar Haldar belongs to a Hindu Family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Abhay Haldar was an actor of Bengali Jatra. Not much is known about his mother. He has a brother, Amiya Haldar who is an actor in the Bengali theatre group, Bohurupee.
Debshankar is married to Suparna Haldar.
Debshankar started his career as a theatre artist in 1987 with the theatre group Nandikar. As a part of the Nandikar group Debshankar did plays like “Shesh Shakkhatkar,” “Gotroheen,” “Football,” “Nagar Kirtan,” and “Jaha Chai.” Subsequently, he did many plays with other theatre groups, like Winkle Twinkle (Sansriti), Virus M (Gonokrishti), Shajahan (Natyaranga), Furrut (Blank Verse), Topi (Story Teller), and Romcom (Lokkrishti).
Debshankar has also appeared in many Bengali films like “Drishyantar,” “Kalkijug,” “Accident,” “Alik Sukh,” “Arundhati,” and “Maya Mridanga.”
Besides acting, Debshankar has also written and directed over 40 children plays including “Bhalo Manush Noigo Mora.”
- ABP Ananda Sera Bangali Award for Best Actor (2013)
- Sangeet Natak Academy Award (2014)
- The Bengali stage centenary Star Theatre Award (2018)
- Food: Baigun Bhajja, Bhapaa Aloo
- Actors: Uttam Kumar, Al Pacino
- Colour: White
- His hobbies include reading novels and writing.
- Initially, he desired to become a writer.
- Debshankar has performed in 23 productions at the same time, a feat which no other actor has achieved untill now.
- Debshankar is well known for his versatility. He performed four different characters on a single day during a theatre festival.
- Haldar is often called the Shah Rukh Khan of the Bengali drama.
- In 2010, Rangapat theatre group organised a theatre festival to showcase the works of Haldar. Reportedly, no other stage actor from Bengal has achieved this mark.