Barkha Dutt is an Indian Journalist. She shot to fame when she reported on the Kargil War of 1999, and for her interview with Captain Vikram Batra. She was with the news channel NDTV for 21 years before she quit in 2017. She is now an anchor for Tiranga TV and hosts the primetime show “Democracy Live”.
Barkha Dutt was born on Saturday, 18 December 1971 (age 48 years; as in 2019). Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She received her primary education from the Modern School, New Delhi. She pursued graduation in English Literature from St. Stephens College, New Delhi and Masters in Mass Communication from the Jamia Millia Islamia Mass Communication Research Center New Delhi. She then went to New York to get her Masters Degree at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.
Dutt joined NDTV in 1994 and reported on many important stories. The turning point of her career was when she was sent to Kargil to report on the Kargil War. She was appreciated nationwide for her style of reporting.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
She belongs to a Brahmin Family. Her father, S.P. Dutt, was an Air India official, and her mother, Prabha Dutt, was a famous journalist with the Hindustan Times. Her sister, Bahar Dutt, is the Environmental Editor for CNN IBN. Barkha Dutt has been married twice first to Mr Mir and then to Dr Haseeb Drabu, but, both the marriages did not last long and ended up in divorce.
Barkha Dutt joined NDTV right after college at the age of 21. She has been a reporter at NDTV and has covered many important stories of National importance.
During that time, she started getting attention from all over India. She even interviewed Kargil War Hero, Captain Vikram Batra. She met him after Vikram Batra’s Unit had successfully captured Peak 5140 in the Drass region.
In 2001, she was given the opportunity to host her talk show. She thought of the idea and execution independently, and on 4 February 2001, the first episode of “We The People” was aired. The show was a success, and it aired for 16 years. On 15 January 2015, she announced that she was leaving NDTV, after 21 years to explore new opportunities.
Its been a super ride at NDTV but new beginning in 2017. I shall be moving on from NDTV to explore new opportunities & my own ventures! 2/4
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) January 15, 2017
In 2017, Barkha Dutt, along with renowned journalist Shekhar Gupta, announced that they’ll be starting their own digital media company. Although Shekhar Gupta started “The Print”, Barkha was not seen in the working of The Print, her name was not on the company records as the Director, and after 6 months, her name was even dropped as a co-founder from the company’s official website.
Shekhar @ShekharGupta and I are thrilled to roll out the first small steps in the launch of ThePrint @theprintindia which we are co-founding
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) January 7, 2016
In January 2019, Harvest TV, which is backed by Kapil Sibal, announced that it has roped in Karan Thapar and Barkha Dutt for its upcoming news channel Tiranga TV. She now hosts a primetime show “Democracy Live”.
- Journalist of the Year Award at The Ramnath Goenka Awards in 2005
- Best TV News Anchor (English) at Indian News Television Awards, 2007
- Chameli Devi Award for the Outstanding Women Media Person of 2008
- Journalist of the Year Award by the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association
- Most Intelligent News Show Host Award by Indian News Broadcasting in 2008
- Honoured with the Padma Shri in 2008 by the Manmohan Singh Government in 2008
- The C.H. Mohammed Koya National Journalism Award in 2009
- The Personality of the Year Award by The Association for International Broadcasting in 2012
- In 2002, she was accused by the Press Trust of India of violating its guidelines and stating that the victims of the Gujarat Riots were Hindus and Muslims.
- During the 2008 Mumbai Terror Attacks, Barkha Dutt and many other journalists were accused of reporting live and revealing the positions and hideouts of the armed forces.
- In November 2010, during the 2G Scandal, the Radia Tapes controversy emerged. Barkha Dutt’s conversations with Niira Radia were also revealed. It caused her to be in the middle of the Radia Tapes Controversy. She later apologised for the whole issue.
- On 27 July 2016, she tweeted about Arnab Goswami, that she was ashamed that he was in the same field as her. She tweeted this in response to Arnab’s statement in his show, Newshour, that there should be strict action against the “pseudo-secular and pro-Pakistan” journalists. Barkha Dutt received criticism for her tweet as Arnab did not mention her name and neither did he allow anyone else on his show to mention anyone’s name.
- In December 2015, she launched her book, “This Unquiet Land: Stories from India’s Fault Lines”. In the book, she mentioned the war locations and the people living around these areas.
- Barkha is a huge fan of the famous American talk show host, Oprah Winfrey.
Bharkha Datt interview was to force a response from Deep Sidhuto admit that he was a Binderwala fan was not a professional journalist She claims to be Panjabi but she must add that she is a Panjabi Hindu of ARYASMAJI Leaning It is sad she did not say any thing about an amazing farmers Andolan which was badly needed if India is to save from the Fundamental Hindu Corporated Type I am amazed she is Columia U Graduate I give her a C for her interview