Arijit Singh is an Indian singer, musician, and music composer who not only lend his voice to the stars of Bollywood but also gave rich melodies to the Indian Cinema. He is one of the artists whose name and voice are found in almost all movies, with his every song topping the charts.
Arijit Singh was born on 25 April 1987 (age 34 years; as of 2021) in Jiaganj town of Murshidabad district in West Bengal. He did his schooling at Raja Bijay Singh High School, Murshidabad, and pursued his graduation from Sripat Singh College, Jiaganj. He began his music training at his home. His maternal aunt was trained in music, and his maternal grandmother used to sing. His maternal uncle and his mother both used to play the tabla. Thus, music was the core of his family. At the age of 3, he got trained by the Hazari Brothers. He got training in the Indian Classical Music by Rajendra Prasad Hazari, tabla by Dhirendra Prasad Hazari, and Rabindra Sangeet and Pop Music by Birendra Prasad Hazari.
When he was 10 years old, he got a scholarship from the state government of West Bengal for his training in Indian Classical Music. Growing up, he listened to Mozart, Beethoven, and Bengali Classical Music.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6”
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 12″
Family, Caste & Wife
Arijit was born in a Punjabi Family. His father was a LIC agent, and his mother, Aditi Singh, was a homemaker who succumbed to a cerebral stroke on 19 May 2021 at AMRI Hospital in Dhakuria, Kolkata. She was 52 years old when she breathed her last. She was admitted to the hospital with the COVID-19 symptoms; however, on 17 May 2021, she tested negative for the disease. ANI
He has a sister named Amrita Singh.
He married twice. His first wife, Ruprekha Banerjee, was one of the finalists of the reality show Fame Gurukul. They married in 2013.
However, the marriage lasted only for a short time. He married Koyel Roy Singh in 2014, who is the childhood sweetheart of Arijit. Arijit Singh is the second husband of Koyel Roy Singh.
The couple has three children, two sons, one of his son’s name is Jul and a step-daughter from Koyel’s first marriage.
He participated in reality show “Fame Gurukul” in the year 2005 on his mentor Rajendra Prasad Hazari’s advice, which was the first stepping stone to his career. However, he lost the competition ending up at 6th place. Thereafter, he participated, in another reality show “10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil” and won the competition. He invested all of the prize money that he got from the show to build his own studio. There he worked as a freelance artist composing music for TV Channels, commercials, and radio stations. He also freelanced for music directors like Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Vishal-Shekhar, Mithoon, Monty Sharma and Pritam. He started with singing scratches in Telugu films. His first song was in the film Kedi (2010) with the song “Neeve Na Neeve Na.”
He made his Bollywood debut with the song “Phir Mohabbat” from Murder 2. The song was recorded in 2009 but was released in 2011. The same year, the song “Raabta” was released, which had four versions in the movie Agent Vinod (2018); one of them was the solo version of Arijit. He has worked with renowned music directors like Sajid-Wajid and A. R. Rahman, following his duets with singers like Shreya Ghoshal and Alka Yagnik.
- In September 2013, he was arrested for assaulting a journalist, when a journalist asked him about the divorce case with his wife Koyel. Arijit Singh said that he only attacked the camera, not the cameraman; because he did not stop recording even when Arijit had requested him to do so. Behrampore CJM Court granted him bail later.
- In May 2016, he posted a letter requesting Salman Khan to retain his (Arijit’s) version of the “Jag Ghoomeya” in the movie Sultan. However, he deleted the post after a few hours. The possible reason for the enmity between the two seems to be from the incident at the 2014 Star Guild Award Function. Arijit was called on stage to receive the award, Salman had just done his performance on “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo,” and was presenting the award to Arijit. Arijit came on stage saying “Aap logo ne toh sula diya,” to which Salman might have felt insulted.
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” of the movie Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in 2017
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Sooraj Dooba Hain” of the movie Roy in 2016
- Best Male Playback Singer Award “Tum Hi Ho” of the movie Aashiqui 2 in 2014
National Film Award
- Best Male Playback Singer Award for the song “Binte Dil” from the film “Padmaavat” (2019)
- Food: Maacher Jhol and Mishti, Alu Seddo, and Alu Posto
- Musician: Michael Jackson
- Singers: Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammed Rafi, Ghulam Ali, Jagjit Singh, Mehdi Hassan, Ustad Rashid Ali Khan, Ustad Amzad Ali Khan, KK
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar, Lance Klusener, Sourav Ganguly, Jonty Rhodes
- Football Player: Lionel Messi, Thomas Muller
- Badminton Player: Saina Nehwal
Arijit Singh has the net worth of about $7 million.
- Shahrukh Khan initially wanted Atif Aslam to sing the song “Gerua” from the movie Dilwale.
- He runs an NGO called “Let There Be Light,” which works for the poor people.
- Apart from being a singer, he is a badminton player, a writer, and a documentary maker.
- He says he is a movie freak.
- He likes football, and his favourite teams are Brazil and Argentina.
- He like listening to ghazals and Coldplay is his favourite band.
- During his teenage years, he liked to sing the song “Mitwaa” from the movie Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (2006).
- His directorial debut was with a Bengali feature film “Bhalobasar Rojnamcha” in the year 2015. It is a compilation of seven short films.
- Arijit Singh debuted as a director at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) with the movie, “Sa.” It was screened at the festival. His son Jul acted in the film.
- When Arijit Singh was asked in an interview as to whether he has taken the car or not, he replied by saying that he does not own a car and he still takes public transport to travel to his work.
- Arijit Singh once said that if he would ever get a chance to travel back in time, he would love to sing with Kishore Kumar.
- He also told once that he feels claustrophobic (fear of being confined) listening to his own songs.
- T-Pain was once accused of plagiarising Arijit’s song “Tum Hi Ho” from the movie Aashiqui 2.