Anil Gochikar is an Indian bodybuilder who has represented India at various International bodybuilding events. Anil rose to fame after a photograph of him, while pulling the chariots during the Jagannath Rath Yatra, went viral. He is locally known as the bodyguard of Lord Jagannath in Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri, Odisha.
Anil Kumar Gochikar (Anil Gochikar) Facebook – Odisha Bodybuilding & Fitness was born on Wednesday, 7 June 1978 (age 44 years; as of 2022) in Harichandi Sahi, Puri, Odisha. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He is a law graduate. Indian Bodybuilding
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 52 inches, Waist: 43 inches, Biceps: 20 inches
Parents & Siblings
His father, Harihar Gochikar, was a Brahmin pandit at the Jagannath temple and owned a hotel named ‘Hotel Gochhikar’ in Puri, Odisha. He passed away in 2006. Anil’s mother’s name is Swarnalata Gochhikar. Anil has an elder brother named Damodar Gochikar, who is a national-level bodybuilder and an athlete.
Wife & Children
Anil Gochikar is married and has a daughter named Anuradha.
Anil began working out in a gym in 2009. Anil Gochikar received professional training from Alok Behera in Mumbai. The first time Anil participated in a bodybuilding event was in 2012 when he participated in Mr Odisha 50th Senior State Body Building Championship. The weight limit was 65kg because of which Anil had to undergo exhaustive running to shed the 400 gms as he weighed 64.5 Kg. Anil won a gold medal at this event. Anil then participated in various national and international bodybuilding competitions.
Hotel and Gym Owner
Anil and Damodar Gochhikar run their father’s hotel ‘Hotel Gochhikar’ in Puri district, Odisha, since his death in 2006. Hotel Gochhikar has a gym called Gocchikar Life Style- GYM, which is run by the Gochhikar brothers.
In January 2022, Anil staged a dharna near the Puri Collector’s office along with his mother, accusing the administration of forcibly evicting them from their building near the Jagannath Temple without paying compensation. According to Anil, their building was demolished forcefully, while the case was still pending in the Orissa High Court. The Pioneer
Awards & Achievements
- 2012: Mr Odisha 50th Senior State Body Building Championship
- 2012, 2013, and 2014: Mr India Bodybuilding Competition
- 2012: Emerged Champion of Champions in 70kg weight category at 12th Eastern and North Eastern India Bodybuilding championship, Bhubaneswar
- 2014: Bronze medal in 70kg weight category at World Championships in Body Building in Mumbai
- 2017: Mr Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship
- 2017: Mr India in 65kg weight category at 10th Senior National Bodybuilding Championship, Gurugram
- 2018: Gold medal at Mr Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship
- 2018: Silver medal at Mr India 2018 Bodybuilding Championship
- 2019: Gold medal in 70kg weight category at Mr India 2019 Championship
- 2014: Bronze medal at World Championships in Body Building in Dubai
- 2016: Gold medal in International Bodybuilding Competitions held at Al-Nasr, Dubai
- Anil Gochikar gained attention quickly after a photograph of him pulling the chariot during the Jagannath Yatra 2022 went viral.
- Anil is one of the 3000 prathiharis (bodyguards) of Lord Jagannath who protect the temple’s belongings.
- People fondly call him ‘Nanaa,’ which, in the Odia language, means ‘father.’
- Anil started attending akharas at a very young age.
In an interview, Anil said that his brother inspired him a lot to learn bodybuilding skills. He further added, My brother is my hero. He is a true fighter and a perfect all rounder. He was a champion when he was on stage. Even when he quit bodybuilding and took up family responsibilities he continues to rock. Since day one, he has been my guide, my mentor, my friend, everything. It is under his guidance, I learnt all about body building. He still continues to coach me and he will always be there for me. I know this for sure.”
- His family has been serving, as servitors, to Puri’s Jagannath Temple in Orissa.
- During an interview, Anil shared that his diet includes 4- 5 litres of milk, 2- 2.5 kg of fruits, and 500 gms of cheese every day.
- He owns a Royal Enfield Classic 500 motorcycle.