DP Manu is an Indian track and field athlete, who participates in the javelin throw. In 2022, he was declared the fourth-best Indian javelin thrower of all time by throwing a personal best of 84.35m to win the Inter-State Championships in Chennai.
DP Manu aka Devarakeshavi Prakasha Manu was born on Monday, 24 January 2000 (age 23; as of 2023) in Hassan, Karnataka.
Height (approx.): 6′ 1″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 43 inches; Waist: 32 inches; Biceps: 14 inches
Parents & Siblings
DP Manu’s parents are farmers in the coffee estate in Hassan, Karnataka. He has a brother.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried.
In June 2022, he won the Inter-State Championships in Chennai by throwing at a distance of 84.35m. By this, he became the fourth-best Indian javelin thrower of all time. In June 2022, he won the Indian National Championships. At the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, he secured the fifth position. In 2022, he threw javelins beyond 80 meters in five out of nine competitions. In July 2023, at the Asian Athletics Championships in Bangkok, he threw over 81 meters and won the silver. Later in 2023, he was selected for the World Athletics Championships in Budapest and got selected for the finals with an 81.31m throw. At the finals, he secured the sixth position with an 84.14m throw.
Medals, Honours, Achievements
- Silver Medal, Inter-State Championship, Lucknow 2019
- Gold Medal, National Open Athletics Championships 2022
- Gold medal, Indian Grand Prix, Thiruvananthapuram in 2022
- Silver Medal, Asian Athletics Championships, Bangkok 2023
- In the Top 8 at World Championships
- In the Top 8 at the Commonwealth Games
- DP Manu has been trained by Kashinath Naik since 2020 in Pune. His coach Naik won the bronze medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. ESPN
- He made his first international trip when he got selected to participate in World Athletics Championships in Oregon, in 2022.
- Before Manu’s win in the Inter-State Championships in Chennai in 2022, his coach Naik went to a nearby temple in his hometown in Joga for the success of Manu.
- In an interview in 2022, DP Manu shared an incident sharing how he got into the javelin throw sport. He said that his school’s physical education teacher placed a bamboo spear, a discus, and a shotput ball in front of him, and pointed the finger towards the javelin. Though he had no clue about javelin, but that moment he decided to pursue the javelin. Before becoming a javelin thrower, he was a volleyball player.
- When he was in school, he used to practice with bamboo sticks to improve his skills. He used to watch YouTube videos of Jan Zelazny, world record-holder javelin thrower.
- As per the sources, DP Manu’s trainer Kashinath Naik has also trained Neeraj Chopra.
- DP Manu is a havildar in Indian Army.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and is often seen going to the gym to maintain his fitness.