Vidyullekha Raman was born on 4th November 1991, Monday (age 29 years; as of 2020) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. She did her schooling at Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School and M.CTM. Chidambaram Chettyar International School Mylapore, Chennai. According to Vidyu, she was an introvert during her school years but then transformed into an extrovert and according to her, she was weak at mathematics, but she worked hard to gain confidence over the subject. She also became the cultural secretary and the in-charge of extra-curricular activities in school due to which she developed more interest in theatres. Later, she graduated with a Degree in Visual Communication from M.O.P. Vaishnav College in Chennai. Telugu 360
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 65.3 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Vidyullekha’s father’s name is Mohan Raman, who is a South Indian actor and a writer.
Relationships, Husband & Children
She got engaged to Sanjay Watwani, who is a famed Chennai- based entrepreneur and dietician, during the COVID-19 Pandemic on 26 August 2020 (Wednesday). The ceremony took place in Chennai with family and close friends. Later, Vidyu shared a picture of her Roka in their traditional outfits on the internet and wrote,
We got Roka-Ed! @lowcard.india & I had our Roka Ceremony (formal announcement) on 26.08.20 in an intimate manner with close family around us. It was our lil’ ray of sunshine & we couldn’t be more grateful for the love we received. We wore masks & removed them for the pictures (before anyone asks!) Thank you all so much for showering us with your best wishes! The best is yet to come.”
She made her acting debut with a Tamil film Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012) in which she played the role of ‘Jenny.’
She made her Telugu debut with the film Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu (2012) in which played the role of ‘Jenny.’
She made her Kannada debut with the movie Raambo 2 (2018) in which she played the role of ‘Sheela.’
Vidyu is well-known for her other films such as Power Pandi (2017), Malini 22 Palayamkottai (2014) etc.
|• Best Female Comedian Run Raja Run (2014)
• Nominated for Best Comedian Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013)
• Nominated for Best Supporting Actress Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012)
- Vidyullekha Raman performed in theatres for seven years and also worked as a backstage artist and a costume designer in the play Swami & Friends in the year 2010.
- It was Vidyu’s teenage desire to become a comedy actress.
- She has sung Tamil-Telugu bilingual “Malani 22 Palayamkottai” in two languages as she is well versed with both Tamil and Telugu.
- Vidyu’s cousin sister Gitanjali is married to the Tamil film director Selvaraghavan.
- The Comedy actress was mocked at her fitness. She was body-shamed and had to face a lot of criticism for her health. The thought to become fit first rendered her mind in February 2019, but her resolution did not work as per her expectations. Later, in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic, her major physical transformation took place. Due to the abundant time, she paid attention to her fitness. Her resolution was not a result of self-hate rather it was a step towards self-care. In January 2020, Vidyu weighed up to 77 kg and till the month of June she lost her weight and then she weighed 68 kg. A huge physical transformation was observed in her physical health, to which she also said,
20+ KGS DOWN – 86.5 kg to 65.3 kgs. It’s been a long & winding road. Filled with sweat and tears. When I look at the pic on the left it’s surreal that I ever looked like that. That I let myself get to being THAT unhealthy”
- Meanwhile, Vidyu resolved for a fit body, in mid-January, she had to undergo an immediate gall stone surgery, as a lump of stone in her gall bladder was causing her ill health. Sadly due to a major infection in the gall bladder, it was removed completely. After the surgery, it took her a while to cure and as she recovered, she did not lose her focus and began with her fitness regime.
- She followed naturopathy, Ayurveda, and yoga but later, she shifted to keto and put herself on a low carb diet.
- Vidyu’s physical transformation somehow weakened her career as a comedian as she was threatened by many filmmakers that she would not get any comedy roles in the industry if she lost weight. According to her, this determines the mentality prevailing in the industry. While talking about it she said,
I was told that I won’t get the roles I get today if I dropped weight. It points to a culture where the casting happens based on appearance and not based on one’s talent. When you hear it, you tend to develop an insecure feeling. I don’t know what the remedy is but I hope women continue to prove that talent speaks more than body measurements.”
- According to Vidyullekha, people believe that she pays more attention to the Telugu industry. She believes that the Telugu industry has offered her multiple opportunities and recognised her talent more than any other film industry. Being a part of cinema makes her feel accomplished.
- In 2016, Vidyu Raman went on a trip to Vienna with her friends where her money and passport were robbed by some snatchers in the lobby of her hotel. Two strangers distracted her and snatched her bag which consisted of money and passport in it. She posted the series of the incident on social media.
So I was not allowed to see the CCTV footage in the five-star hotel but the Austrian police saw it. A man who entered distracted me for a second. He asked me how to get to an address and by the time I said I don’t know. His friend came from behind and took it. Shocked. Hope embassy helps.”
She shared the incident with Prime minister Narendra Modi and the then External Affairs Minister of India Sushma Swaraj on Twitter,
My bag has been stolen with passport, cards and currency in my hotel lobby. Need to contact the Indian embassy asap in Vienna. A big thanks to everyone who gave me info and helped me out. The Indian Embassy in Vienna has issued a temporary travel permit to travel.”
References [ + ]