Swastika Mukherjee is an Indian actress who mainly works in the Bengali Film Industry. She came into the spotlight after playing the role of ‘Mamata’ in the Bengali thriller film “Mastan.” In 2020, she played the role of ‘Dolly Mehra’ in Amazon Prime’s web series “Paatal Lok.” Mukherjee is the daughter of the popular Bengali actor, Santu Mukhopadhyay.
Swastika Mukherjee was born on Saturday, 13 December 1980 (age 39 years; as in 2019) in Kolkata, West Bengal. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
She did her schooling from Kolkata’s Carmel High School, St. Teresa’s Secondary School, and Gokhale Memorial School. Thereafter, Mukherjee did a graduation in History from Kolkata’s Jadavpur University. While in college, she was spotted by a director who offered her a role in his TV serial “Devdasi.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Light Brown (Dyed)
Eye Colour: Hazel Green
Family & Caste
Swastika Mukherjee belongs to a Hindu Family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Santu Mukhopadhyay was a popular Bengali actor. Her mother’s name is Gopa Mukherjee. She has a younger sister, Ajopa Mukherjee who is a costume designer.
Husband, Relationships & Children
Swastika got married to Promit Sen (singer), son of the Rabindra Sangeet singer Sagar Sen, in 1998. Together, they have a daughter, Anwesha Mukherjee. The marriage was unhappy and lasted only for two years. Swastika accused Sen of physically abusing her and harassing her when she was pregnant. According to her, Promit filed a divorce in 2000, but later, he changed his mind after seeing her success in the acting world. The couple got divorced in 2007.
Later, she started dating the Bengali film actor, Parambrata Chatterjee. The duo met on the sets of the film “Brake Fail.” At that time, she was lawfully married to Promit Sen, so he filed a criminal adultery case against Parambrata. Mukherjee got separated with Chatterjee in 2010, after he moved to Bristol.
Thereafter, she went into a relationship with her “Mastan” co-star, Jeet.
She was also in a relationship with the film director, Sumon Mukhopadhyay.
Swastika Mukherjee started her acting career in 2001 with the TV serial “Devdasi.” Next, she appeared in the TV serials “Ek Akasher Niche” and “Protibimbo. Mukherjee made her film debut in 2001 with the Bengali film “Hemanter Pakhi.” Subsequently, she appeared in films like “Mastan,” “Criminal,” “Kranti,” “Take One,” and “Saheb Bibi Golaam.”
In 2011, Swastika made her Hindi film debut with the film “Mumbai Cutting.” She was praised for playing a cameo in the film “Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!” (2015).
In 2020, Swastika featured as ‘Dolly Mehra’ in Amazon Prime’s web series “Paatal Lok.”
- In 2000, when Swastika’s husband, Promit Sen, filed for a divorce with her, Mukherjee alleged him of cruelty and physical abuse. However, the actress later confessed that she had lied in the media just to get the publicity. She even withdrew the case, which had been filed against her husband and her in-laws.
- In 2014, Mukherjee attempted suicide and blamed her boyfriend, Suman Mukhopadhyay for it. Later, the police detained her then-boyfriend, Sumon Mukhopadhyay.
- In the same year, she landed into a controversy for shoplifting gold earrings worth Rs. 12139 in her handbag from a jewellery showroom in Singapore. The shop owner asked her to either pay for the pieces of jewellery or return them to the owner. He did not file a formal complaint against her.
- Food: Sandesh, Paneer Tikka, Burger
- Actor: Akshay Kumar
- Actress: Rani Mukerji
- Film(s): “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” (1968), “Mary Poppins” (1964), “The Sound of Music” (1965)
- Colour(s): Blue, Yellow
- Sport: Cricket
- Perfume(s): Gucci, Armani
- Travel Destination: Singapore
- Fashion Designer: Manish Malhotra
- Her hobbies include travelling and reading.
- She is a trained dancer, and she has received her training from the popular choreographer Tanusree Shankar at Ananda Shankar Centre For Performing Arts, Kolkata.
- Swastika is a food buff. She loves to try out new dishes.
- Mukherjee is a lipstick addict.
- She shared in an interview that she was the worst cook.
- She loves watching films in her leisure time.
- Swastika does not know Hindi well. While working in her debut Bollywood film, her film director used to translate the lines for her.
- In 2020, Swastika became a prominent face of anti-citizenship amendment act (CAA) campaign in Bengal.
- Mukherjee loves dogs and keeps sharing her pictures with them on her Instagram account.