Akhil Marar is an Indian director who primarily works in the Malayalam entertainment industry. He is known for directing the Malayalam film Oru Thathvika Avalokanam (2021). He is also known for winning Bigg Malayalam Season 5.
Akhil Marar was born on Wednesday, 7 September 1988 (age 34 years; as of 2022) in Kottarakkara, Kollam district, Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Virgo. Akhil did his schooling at CF High School, Kottiyam, Kerala and S.V.M.M.H.S.S. Vendar, Kerala. Soon after completing his higher secondary education, he pursued a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics at Fatima Mata College, Kollam.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Akhil Marar’s father’s name is Rajendran Pillai. His mother’s name is Ammini Amma.
Wife & Children
On 1 January 2015, Akhil Marar got married to his girlfriend, Rajalekshmi Akhil. The couple has two daughters named Parkrithi and Prarthana.
Akhil, during an interview, recalled his previous relationships and said that when he was pursuing a bachelor’s degree at Fatima University, Kerala, he was dating a girl who was his classmate. During the same discussion, Akhil said that he wanted to marry her; however, the girl left him. Manorma
In 2015, Akhil made his directorial debut with the Malayalam-language film Perariyathavar (English – Names Unknown); he worked as an assistant director in the Malayalam film.
In 2021, he directed the Malayalam film Oru Thathvika Avalokanam. In an interview, Akhil narrated his experience of directing his first film, Oru Thathvika Avalokanam, and said,
Although the shoot was charted for 40 days, there was pressure to complete it in 30 days and then in 25 days. Some portions of the script were shortened and finally finished in 30 days. The producer came to watch the film with 10 people as the editing of the film was completed when the first cut was done only for the editing rush. Many comments after watching the video file which is not even dubbed. I became arrogant and ungrateful when I had to resist. With that, the producer’s order not to put me on the editing table.”
In 2023, Akhil made his television debut as a participant with the Asianet and Disney+ Hotstar reality show Bigg Boss Malayalam Season 5; the show was hosted by actor Mohanlal.
During the grand finale of the reality show on 2 July 2023, Akhil emerged as the winner and was awarded a trophy along with a cash prize of Rs 50 lakh. The first runner-up position was secured by Reneesha Rahiman, while Junaiz VP was announced as the second runner-up of the show.
- Akhil participated in Bigg Boss Malayalam in 2023; however, in an interview in 2021, Akhil said that he never wanted to be a part of the Bigg Boss reality show. He explained,
I didn’t have a program in Kerala that I despised like this. I have never watched Bigg Boss even for five minutes in my life.Better than that, I go to Lulu Mall and pick up four people in the middle of the road. Aren’t many people coming to see it.”
- After completing his undergraduate degree, Akhil worked as a representative in a medical company. Later, he switched to another medical company where he worked as a manager. However, following his breakup, he decided to quit his job. Manorma
- After quitting his job at the medical company, he opened a juice kiosk named Alchemist at Kottathala in Kollam District, Kerala. In an interview, Akhil talked about how he came up with the idea of keeping his juice shop’s name ‘Alchemist’ and said,
Inspired by the book that gave me the courage to follow his dreams, I quit my government job and walked towards my goal. When I gave up my studies and work and started a juice shop to make a living, the name was from my favorite book – Alchemist.”
- Before venturing into the career of director, Akhil worked as an agriculturist; he practised cultivation at a farm near his house and on his house terrace in Kerala.
- Akhil got three tattoos on his body, a lion and flying vulture tattoo on his right arm, an angel wings tattoo on his chest, and a vulture tattoo on his left arm.
- On Akhil’s Facebook account, he shared that his favourite quote is
Real education starts after leaving from all the universities.”