Ganesh Acharya is a famous Indian choreographer, director, and actor. He has choreographed songs in many movies, the famous ones being Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013), Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Bajirao Mastani (2015), and Padmaavat (2018). He has also appeared in many music videos for the films.
Ganesh Acharya was born on 14 June 1971 (age 47 years; as in 2018) in Chennai. His zodiac sign is Gemini.
When Ganesh was 10, his father died. His family faced a financial crisis after his father’s death, which forced Ganesh to leave his studies. He later moved to Cuttack, Orissa, where he started learning dance from his sister.
Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 90 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
His father, Krishna Gopi, was a dancer.
He has a sister named Kamla. He is married to Vidhi Acharya.
He started his career by assisting the famous Choreographer, Kamalji, until his death. At the age of 10, he made his own dance group, becoming a choreographer by 19. His debut as a choreographer in a film was with the 1992 movie “Anaam.”
However, the song that gave him his first big break was “Husn Hai Suhana” from the film “Coolie No. 1 (1995).” His debut as a film director was with the 2007 movie “Swami.”
His debut as an actor was with the movie “Ghatak: Lethal (1996),” where he made a special appearance in the song “Koi Jaye To Le Aaye.” His famous role was in 2013 from the movie “ABCD (Any Body Can Dance).” He did a special appearance as ‘Mr Zar’ in the superhit Chinese film “Operation Mekong (2016).”
- Following the #MeToo Movement in India, Tanushree Dutta claimed that Nana Patekar misbehaved with her on the sets of “Horn Ok Please (2009).” She even claimed that all the directors, producers including the choreographer Ganesh Acharya, ganged up against her. Later, Ganesh defended himself and Nana Patekar; saying that there was no violence or misbehaviour on the sets. He added that Nana could never do that because he was a very sweet person. There were even reports about her filing complaint against Nana and Ganesh.
- Ganesh Acharya once filed a complaint against the members of Cine Artists Association, Gangeshwar Shrivastav, BN Tiwari, and Ashok Dubey for stopping his shooting of a movie for three hours. According to Ganesh, he was in support of the group of dancers who were protesting against the association after it failed to pay their fees. Some people from the association stopped the shooting for three hours and threatened him that he would not be allowed to shoot anymore because of him supporting the dancers.
- Best Choreography for “Masto Ka Jhoond” in the film Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013) in 2014
- Best Choreography for “Gori Tu Lath Maar” in the film Toilet – Ek Prem Katha (2017) in 2018
- Best Choreography for “Beedi” in the film “Omkara (2006)” in 2007
- Best Choreography for “Malhaari” in the film “Bajirao Mastani (2015)” in 2015
- Director: David Dhawan
- He likes listening to music.
- When talking about his big break with the song “Husn Hai Suhana” from the film “Coolie No. 1 (1995),” Ganesh recalls that there were prominent choreographer like Saroj Khan at that time, and the producer wanted them to initiate the choreography, but it was David Dhawan and Govinda who convinced the producers to take him as the choreographer. Further adding to the statement, he says,
The song was a hit, and it was as a result of its success that I came to be recognised as a choreographer in the industry. For me, because of this, David Dhawan and Govinda are my godfathers.”
- He initially wanted to be an actor.
- Ganesh was on the top of search in 2017, when he reduced 85 kg from his weight of almost 200 kg, in the course of one and a half years.