Suyash Sharma is an Indian cricketer who is known for bowling googlies. He played for Kolkata Knight Riders in the 2023 IPL. He has played for Dena Bank and Madras Club in DDCA tournaments.
Suyash Sharma was born on Thursday, 15 May 2003 (age 20 years; as of 2023) in Bhajanpura, Delhi, India. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He was interested in cricket since childhood and used to play in his neighbourhood. He initially trained under his brother who was also a local-level cricketer. He started playing cricket as a batsman and later transitioned into a spinner.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
He was born into a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
He has an elder brother and an elder sister.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried.
He is single.
He was first spotted by the veteran cricket coach Suresh Batra who told the former Delhi cricketer Kartar Nath about his bowling skills, especially googlies. Nath later asked him to attend a trial after which he was selected for Dena Bank in the Delhi & District Cricket Association (DDCA) league. While talking about this in an interview, Nath said,
He bowled very good googlies and at first sight, we knew that this guy has huge potential. So, we roped him in for the Dena Bank team and he was given a stipend.”
Nath also tried to get him selected for the Under-19 team; however, he failed. DDCA He then played for Madras Club in DDCA. In the 2021-22 season, Nath approached former Indian player Gursharan Singh, then-member of the Cricket Advisory Committee for Delhi, to take a look at his bowling. Singh was impressed with Sharma’s bowling skills, and Sharma ultimately got selected for the Delhi Under-25 team after the intervention of DDCA President Rohan Jaitley (son of Arun Jaitley) who helped Sharma to sort out the issues with paperwork. Singh talked about this in an interview and said,
Kartar told me about the boy and I was impressed with his bowling. He had some issues with paperwork, but DDCA president Rohan Jaitley ensured that things were sorted out and the selectors eventually picked him for the U-25 team.”
Indian Premier League (IPL)
Suyash Sharma was acquired by Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the 2022 auction for the 2023 IPL season for his base price of Rs 20 lakhs. He was asked to attend the trials at the KKR Academy in Mumbai where KKR’s scouts including Abhishek Nayar were impressed by his skills. Former Delhi Under-25 coach and Indian bowler Pankaj Singh said that Suyash can bowl at good speeds which makes it difficult for batsmen to anticipate his deliveries. He said,
Before the auction, Abhishek (Nayar) called me to check on Suyash and a few other youngsters. And, I remember that we discussed his googlies and how he can be a surprise element for any team. The unique thing about him is that he can bowl leg spin and googlies at good speeds. It is difficult for batters to pick his googlies.”
KKR Head Coach Chandrakant Pandit said that Suyash has a fighting spirit and has performed well in trial matches for KKR. He said,
We’ve seen him in our trial matches. He’s quick through the air. It’s difficult to pick him as he bowls both away from and into the batter. He has shown good attitude and fighting spirit throughout the camps.”
In his debut IPL match against Royal Challengers Bangalore at Eden Gardens, Kolkata on 6 April 2023, he performed wonderfully and took 3 wickets for 30 runs in his quota of 4 overs including the wickets of Dinesh Karthik, Anuj Rawat, and Karn Sharma to help KKR win the match.
Anuj Rawat ☑️
Dinesh Karthik ☑️
Watch Suyash Sharma pick two quick wickets in his debut game.
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) April 6, 2023
KKR captain Nitish Rana mentioned Suyash’s name in the post-match conference and said that he is a confident player and made good use of the chance he got. He said,
Suyash is a confident young man and he has belief in himself. He made his chance count and it was great to see him bowl that way.”
- His batting style is right-handed, and his bowling style is right-arm leg spin.
- In an interview, he said that he has four variations in his bowling which are leg-spin, googly, flipper, and backspin.
- He said in an interview that even though the 2023 IPL season was his maiden season, he was not under any kind of pressure regarding matches, fans, or his performance, and he likes challenges. He said that he always liked bowling against big players.
- He has a tattoo depicting a runner on his right leg.
- KKR CEO Venky Mysore revealed in an interview that KKR kept a fixed amount of money aside to acquire Suyash and was surprised to grab him at his base price of Rs 30 lakhs. YouTube – Suyash Sharma
- After his maiden IPL performance, many fans compared his looks to the Indian gold-medal-winning Olympian Neeraj Chopra due to his long hair. Some fans also applauded his celebration in Main Hoon Na style imitating the KKR owner Shah Rukh Khan who was also present in the audience and liked the celebration.
Neeraj chopra in kkr 🤣🤣 pic.twitter.com/me8vMILokH
— Aditya Santa (@pahadowalibaat) April 6, 2023
— KolkataKnightRiders (@KKRiders) April 6, 2023
- His coach Kartar Nath said in an interview that his mother called Nath during the onset of Covid-19 in 2020 and told him that Suyash would not play cricket anymore due to financial constraints; however, Nath was able to persuade her to allow Suyash to continue. Suyash’s elder brother also backed Suyash to follow his dreams of making big in cricket. Nath said,
Back then, things were not working out for Suyash and his mom called me up one day, saying that he would quit cricket. I told her to give him some time and have some patience. That was the COVID period and I requested her to allow him to play for a bit more. She listened to me. His elder brother backed him a lot. He also played some local cricket, so despite the challenges, he ensured that Suyash continued his game”