Simranjit Kaur Baatth Wikipedia is an Indian amateur boxer who competes in the 64 Kg weight category. In 2020, she won the ticket to the Tokyo Olympics. The Olympics were postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Simranjit Kaur was born on Monday, 10 July 1995 (age 26 years; as of 2021) in Chakar village, Ludhiana, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. While Simranjit was in her teens, her elder sister was pursuing boxing as a career option. Seeing her elder daughter perform well in the sport, Simranjit’s mother encouraged her to take up boxing as a career option. When Simranjit was just 15 years old, she joined the Sher-E-Punjab Sports academy in Chakar village to learn the basics of boxing. Instagram- Simranjit Kaur
As of 2020, Simranjit was pursuing her graduation (BA second year) from Chandigarh University. Facebook- Simranjit Kaur
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 64 Kg
Figure Measurements (approx.): 32-28-32
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Simranjit is the daughter of Kamal Jeet Singh and Rajpal Kaur. Her father used to work at a grocery store in Chakar village. He died of a heart attack in 2018. She has an elder sister named Sonia Kaur (employed with the BSF) and two younger brothers named Golu Batth and Akash Deep Singh Batth.
Simranjit started her boxing career in 2010. Her breakthrough came in the year 2011 when she won a bronze medal at the 6th Junior Women National Boxing Championship held in Patiala. Next, she won a bronze medal at the 4th Inter-Zonal Women National Boxing Championship (2012) in Vishakhapatnam.
In the same year, she participated in the 8th Junior Women National Boxing Championship in Patiala and won a silver medal. In 2013, she went on to represent India at the Youth World Championship in the 60 Kg category and won a bronze medal.
Subsequently, she claimed a bronze medal at the 16th Senior (Elite) Women National Boxing Championship in New Bongaigaon, Guwahati. In 2017, Kaur won two bronze medals at the Senior International Championship in Kazakhstan.
She won the first International gold medal of her career in 2018 at the Ahmet Comert International Boxing Tournament in Istanbul, Turkey, in the 64kg category.
In the same year, she was a part of the 10-members Indian squad at the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi and won a bronze in the Light Welterweight category. The squad was led by Mary Kom. In 2019, she bagged a gold medal at the 23rd President’s International Boxing Tournament in Labuan Baju, Indonesia.
Simranjit qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics after winning a silver medal in the women’s lightweight (57-60kg) division at the Asian boxing Olympic qualifiers in Amman, Jordan.
- Bronze at AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi in 2018 (Women’s Light welterweight)
- Gold at Ahmet Comert International Boxing Tournament, in Istanbul, Turkey, in 2018 (Women’s 64 Kg)
- Silver at Asian Boxing Championships in Bangkok, Thailand, in 2019 (Women’s 64 Kg)
- Gold at 23rd President’s Cup International Boxing Tournament, in Labuan Baju, Indonesia, in 2019 (Women’s 60 Kg)
- Silver at Asian Olympic Qualifiers, in Amman, Jordan, in 2020 (Women’s 57-64 Kg)
- Silver at Boxam International Tournament, in Castellon, Spain, in 2021 (Women’s 60 Kg)
- 2021: Arjuna Award
- Boxer: Mary Kom
- Colour: Black
- Sports Brand: Adidas
- Simranjit Kaur loves drawing and painting in her leisure time.
- She is sponsored by Lakshya Sports. Instagram- Lakshya Sports
- After her father’s death in 2018, her family became entirely dependent on Simranjit for their source of income. In 2020, she was looking for employment but could not find a job for herself. Talking about it in an interview, Simranjit said,
I have given my application to the Punjab Government, but I am yet to get a response. Last year, Punjab Police had advertised for some posts but they were mostly for the rank of a constable. I hope the government at least gives me a sub-inspector level job.”
She further added,
I am the sole breadwinner of my family. My two younger brothers are still studying. My elder sister is employed with the BSF (Border Security Force), but she is married and lives with her husband.”
- Simranjit won the title of ‘Best Boxer’ at the National Women’s Boxing Championship in 2018.
- Her friends and family fondly call her Simi. Instagram- Simranjit Kaur
- Simranjit is a fitness enthusiast and hits the gym daily to maintain her fitness.
- Kaur has endorsed the shoe brand Adidas many times on her Instagram account.
- In 2020, she was placed at the world rank 6 by AIBA. Instagram- Simranjit Kaur
- In 2021, Simranjit was dropped from the Indian boxing team for Asian Championships as she tested positive for COVID-19. Times of India
- She is a religious person and often visits the gurudwaras.
- Her blood group is A+. Indian Amateur Boxing Federation
- Kaur is coached by Ramanand.