Sachin Vaze is an Indian police officer who works in the Mumbai Police as the head of the Crime Intelligence Unit. He is a former encounter specialist of the Mumbai Police.
Sachin Vaze was born as Sachin Hindurao Vaze The Indian Express on Tuesday, 22 February 1972 (age 49 years; as of 2021) in Kolhapur, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Pisces. After completing his formal education, Sachin joined the Mumbai State Police in 1990 as a sub-inspector.
Height (approx.): 6′
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
There is not much information available about his family.
In 1990, Sachin was appointed as a sub-inspector in the Mumbai State Police service. He got posted to the Gadchiroli area that was affected by the Naxalites. Two years later, in 1992, Sachin Vaze was sent to Thane city police station. In Thane, Sachin solved several cases that were associated with the Indian crime lord Dawood Ibrahim and other big gangsters. Soon, Sachin got promoted and became the head of the special squad of the Thane Crime Branch; Sachin gained popularity among his peers as he used high-tech devices to solve cases. During this time, he became an encounter specialist with a record of 63 encounters. Later, Sachin became a part of the Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU) in Mumbai Police. In 1997, Mumbai Police formed a special squad force to tackle the problem of growing extortion demands and open violence. Sachin was transferred to the Anti Extortion Cell (AE Cell), along with Pradeep Sharma (his fellow officer and encounter specialist), where the six-year-old division of AE Cell witnessed their first encounter during a case. In March 2004, Sachin Vaze was suspended from service along with three police officers for the murder of Khwaja Yunus in police custody. Khwaja Yunus was the main suspect in the December 2002 Ghatkopar bomb blast. Sachin was reinstated in service on 6 June 2020, due to a shortage of staff during the COVID-19 pandemic in Mumbai.
- On 3 March 2004, Sachin Vaze was suspended for the murder of the December 2002 Ghatkopar bomb blast suspect Khwaja Yunus. The murder took place when Khwaja Yunus was in police custody, and this made Sachin Vaze and other officials a major suspect in the murder. Hindustan Times
- Anil Yadav, a government doctor and a Right to Information activist, was arrested in 2017. Anil was accused of threatening builders for money. During the investigation, Yadav said that Sachin Vaze was also involved with him, and he helped him in extorting money from the builders. DNA
- On 25 February 2021, a Scorpio car with loose gelatin sticks and a threat note was found outside Mukesh Ambani’s house. On further investigation, it was found that the car belonged to Mansukh Hiren, a Thane resident who had reported that somebody stole his car a few days ago. Sachin Vaze was leading the investigation team for the case. On 5 March 2021, Hiren was found dead and former Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis demanded the arrest of Sachin Vaze. Mansukh Hiren’s wife, Vimla Hiren, also alleged Sachin’s involvement in the murder. On 12 March 2021, Sachin Vaze was removed from the Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU) of the Mumbai Crime Branch, and he was transferred to Citizen Facilitation Centre (CFC), Mumbai Police. Later, on 15 March 2021, Sachin was suspended from his position as the assistant police inspector followed by his arrest by the NIA (National Investigation Agency). India Today The Deputy Commissioner of Police said-
API Sachin Vaze has been placed under suspension by an order of Additional Commissioner of Police Special Branch.”
- After getting suspended in 2004, Sachin Vaze applied for reinstatement in the service a lot of times but the Maharasthra government rejected his requests every single time. Later, in November 2007, Sachin decided to quit his job and filed his resignation letter. However, his resignation was also not accepted by the Maharashtra Government and he remained suspended for sixteen years.
- In 2012, Sachin published a book ‘Jinkun Harleli Ladhai’ in Marathi. The book was based on the horrific events of the 26/11 terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
- For the time when Sachin was suspended from the police force, he joined Shiv Sena and started working for the political party.