Pradeep Singh is an Indian Revenue Service officer (IRS) from Haryana who has topped the UPSC Civil Service Examination 2019.
Pradeep Singh was born in 1991 (age 29 years; as in 2020). His full name is Pradeep Singh Malik. Pradeep attended a local government school in his village till class 7th, thereafter, he went to Shambhu Dayal Modern School in Sonipat and studied there till class 12th. He graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science) degree from Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science And Technology (DCRUST), Murthal in 2012.
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
His father, Sukhbir Singh Malik, has been the Sarpanch of Tewari village for two times, while his mother, Sheela Devi is a homemaker. His elder brother, Ajit Singh, is a mechanical engineer and is working in the insurance field. His younger sister, Manisha, is a post-graduate in Mathematics.
His father was in the village when UPSC announced the result. He said,
Pradeep called me to tell me he has cracked the exam. When I asked him about his rank, he whispered that it is the 1st rank.”
After completing his graduation, Pradeep prepared for SSC CGL examination and got recruited as an income tax officer in 2015. Thereafter, in 2019, he cracked the UPSC Civil Service Examination 2018; securing All India Rank 260 and was recruited as an IRS officer. However, the goal to become an IAS officer was still not reached, so he continued with the preparation with sheer hard work and determination. The hard work paid off on 4th August 2020, when the UPSC declared the result for the UPSC Civil Service Examination 2019, wherein Pradeep Singh emerged as the topper.
On 9th August 2020, Pradeep Singh along with his father Sukhbir Singh met CM Haryana Manohar Lal Khattar in New Delhi. The Chief Minister said that by achieving this feat, Pradeep has not only illuminated the name of his family but also of Sonipat and Haryana.
- Pradeep bagged All India Rank one in his fourth attempt without taking any formal institutional coaching. He initially took coaching to know about the pattern of preparation; however, because of job restrictions, he prepared on his own and with the help of his friends.
- Interacting with media after attaining the first rank in his fourth attempt, Pradeep said,
It is an unbelievable and unexpected moment for me. It is a very pleasant surprise, and I had not expected that I would be the first ranker. I am feeling very happy and my family and friends are also very happy.”
- Pradeep considers his father as a major motivating factor for his feat. He says his father has been a pillar of strength throughout the journey, despite all the odds. Recalling a phase when he decided to quit preparing for the UPSC Civil Service Exam, he says,
There were times when I thought it isn’t possible to prepare for the UPSC exam while working in a job and felt like quitting the preparation. But, my father told me, “No, if you are passionate to become an IAS officer, you can surely achieve it while doing your job and squeezing out the required time for preparation.”
- The UPSC topper, Pradeep Singh, in his message to the UPSC aspirants, said:
If I can top the Civil Service examination, then anyone can crack it. Anyone can get success. One only needs to be focused and have firm determination.”
- In his conversation with Delhi Knowledge Track, Pradeep has shared information about his success and his advice for UPSC aspirants.
- There is another Pradeep Singh who has cracked the 2019 UPSC Civil Service Examination, securing AIR 26th rank. A lot of media channels have been reporting incorrectly about the two. Here is a tweet by 26th ranked Pradeep Singh, who is also a 2018 batch IRS officer, son of a petrol Pump employee.
AIR 26 UPSC CSE 2019 pic.twitter.com/AF2aKboNfQ
— Pradeep Singh (@_pradeepsingh_) August 4, 2020