Rekha Gupta is an Indian politician whom BJP nominated as its mayoral candidate in New Delhi in December 2022 that she lost to AAP’s Shelly Oberoi.
Rekha Gupta was born on Friday, 19 July 1974 (age 48 years; as of 2022) in Julana, Haryana. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She did her schooling at Manender Shakti Vidyalaya, Keshavpuram till class 10 and later joined Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Ashok Vihar. She pursued a bachelor’s degree in commerce at Daulat Ram College, Delhi My Neta, LLB at Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut My Neta, a master’s degree in arts at Delhi University and a master’s degree in business administration. Rekha Gupta.in According to her, when she was in school and college, she was really a bright student and was good in extracurricular activities. Rekha started her political career when she was in college. In 1992, while pursuing graduation, she joined students’ organization Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). In 1994, she became the secretary of Daulat Ram College, Delhi. In 1995, she worked as the secretary of the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU). In 1996, she became the president of the DUSU.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Rekha’s father’s name is Jai Bhagwan Jindal, a retired branch manager at the State Bank of India. Her mother’s name is Urmila Jindal, who is a homemaker. She has four sisters and one brother. One of her sisters’ names is Mridula.
She is the eldest of all siblings.
Husband & Children
Rekha got married to Manish Gupta, who is a businessman, on 28 June 1998.
They have one son, Nikunj, and one daughter, Harshita Gupta, who is a businesswoman.
Rekha follows Hinduism.
In 2003, she was selected as the secretary of Bhartiya Janta Party Yuva Morcha, Delhi. In 2004, she became the National Secretary of BJP Yuva Morcha. In 2007, she was elected as the councillor from Uttari Pitampura (Ward 54) and also became the chairperson of the Women Welfare and Child Development Committee MCD. In 2009, she became the general secretary of Delhi Mahila Morcha. In 2010, she was chosen as the National Executive Member of the BJP. In 2012, she contested the Municipal Corporation for Delhi elections from the Pitampura North constituency. In 2022, she was nominated as the BJP’s mayoral candidate from Delhi following the 2022 Delhi Municipal Corporation elections and won the seat from Ward No.56 Shalimar Bagh-B constituency. In an interview, she talked about her nomination and said,
I appeal to all the councillors that vote for the development and betterment of Delhi. I hope they will choose the right mayor for the city listening to the voice of their conscience.”
Rekha started her business of handicraft in 2000 in Pitampura. The name of her venture is ‘Aakriti Handicraft and Events.’ In an interview, she said that she started the business to provide jobs to young talented girls. Her business provides handicraft items, festival/seasonal decorations, corporate mementoes, and events/theme management.
- Cash: Rs. 1,55,000
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 38,06,416
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 6,10,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 15,52,500
- Other Assets: Rs. 7,50,000
- In college, while she was part of the student organization, she presented the idea of the Common Admission Form that benefits many students. In colleges, to stop sexual harassment and eve-teasing of girls, she formed various committees. She brought to the limelight the lack of the university’s special busses for students.
- As a councillor, she set up a swimming pool, gym, library, and community hall in CU Block Market, Pitampura. She solved the parking problem in Pitampura by presenting the idea of a comprehensive underground parking facility. She worked toward building a park in every block in the area and named them after the characters of Ramayan. To listen to the problems of slum people, she started a councillor administrative office in Haiderpur. She worked towards solving other problems including installing street lights in the Haiderpur area, regular distribution of pensions to the poor, senior citizens, and widows, maintenance of roads, a helpline number for sexual harassment against women, and movable garbage trucks in the Pitampura area.
- When she became the chairperson of the Women’s Welfare and Child Development committee MCD, she started the ‘sumedha yojna’ which provides cash to girls belonging to poor families for their higher education. She also came up with a plan to provide pensions to divorced women. She also gave personality development classes to women who were selected as councillors where Smt. Sushma Swaraj and Smt. Krishna Tirath gave lectures. She often gave prizes to children of MCD schools in Delhi for academic excellence. In Delhi, she started free health check-up camps for children and women. She started various campaigns to create awareness about female feticide and child labour.
- She is an active social worker and started an NGO ‘An Active Association for Society’ (AAS Foundation). The NGO usually appointed housewives to work in the organization. She started the Chalo Sudama Dwar programme, where people from rich families donated and the donations were given to the needy. She is the women trustee and women coordinator of Maharaja Agrasen International Kidney Hospital and provides needy people with affordable and free treatment. She got many girls from poor families married under the programme started by PU-Ramlila Committee Pitampura. She also started a movement to protest against Cow Killing (Go –hatya).