Rajisha Vijayan is an Indian actress and television presenter with a huge fan following in Mollywood. A former Video Jockey, the Malayali actress is best known for her role of Elizabeth/Eli in her debut film, “Anuraga Karikkin Vellam.” Rajisha has also given two Tamil hits, Karnan and Jai Bhim, and she has signed her first Telugu film as well.
Rajisha Vijayan was born on Monday, 15 July 1991 (age 30 years; as of 2021) in Perambra, Kozhikode district, Kerala. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. Being an Army brat, Vijayan has attended seven schools in different states. She is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication from Amity University, Delhi. The Hindu
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Rajisha Vijayan comes from an Army background.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Vijayan, is a retired Army officer. Her mother, Sheela Vijayan, is a homemaker and a former school teacher. Rajisha has a younger sister named Anjusha Vijayan.
Husband & Children
Rajisha is unmarried and has no children.
The actress was in a nearly two-year-long relationship with her childhood friend and ex-fiancé Aswin Menon, who works at the Steel Authority of India and is a native of Kozhikode. In June 2016, the couple got engaged at a private resort in Kozhikode, Kerala. Soon after, Rajisha broke her engagement with Aswin, apparently due to her career. Reports stated that the actress was just starting out in films in the same year she got engaged and she did not want her relationship status to impact her acting career. Malayalam Filmibeat Malayalam Filmibeat
Around 2011, Rajisha started her modelling career but left the industry after working for two years to grab the position of a television show host on Surya Music. In 2013, the actress made her debut on TV with season 1 of the show “Susi’s code Season 1,” and she hosted the show for a year.
During the same period, Vijayan simultaneously hosted and co-hosted many other shows on Surya Music and Mazhavil Manorama including a talent show called ‘Ugram Ujwalam.’ Working with many shows in a short span of time greatly contributed to Rajisha’s huge following in the industry. International Business Times When she was asked about her experience as an anchor, the actress said in an interview, The Hindu
I did not become an anchor to get into films; I was in television for the love of it. I am focussed that way; I like to give whatever I am doing, my whole concentration.”
Rajisha’s stint as an anchor landed her a movie offer within six months of her appearance on television. She said in an interview, OnManorama
I was waiting for a good role. I was hoping to act in a movie ever since I completed my degree course.”
Vijayan, however, did not take up the offer immediately and went on a two-year-long career break. She revealed in an interview the reason for her break:
The face of Eli has to be fresh for the audience and the mannerisms of anchoring should not influence acting. So Rahman [director] had suggested that I take a break from anchoring. I took a break because I knew I have to concentrate on one job. While anchoring is natural and spontaneous, acting is totally different.”
In July 2016, she finally made her debut in the Malayalam cinema with the movie “Anuraga Karikkin Vellam.” Her breakthrough role in the movie as Elizabeth/Eli put her in the limelight and fetched her many accolades and awards. International Business Times The budding actress then went on to work in many Malayalam movies.
Next year, Rajisha was seen in two films, “Georgettan’s Pooram” and “Oru Cinemakaaran.” Both these movies did well at the box office. In 2018, she featured as a queen in the Malayali theatre drama “Hand of God.” The Times of India Vajisha was again seen in the lead role in the Mollywood movie “June” in 2019, which was one of the highest-grossing films in the industry. Her performance in ‘June’ was critically and commercially acclaimed, and it earned her immense fame.
In the subsequent years, Vijayan was the lead actress in other hit Malayam movies including Finals (2019), Stand Up (2019), Love (2020), and Kho-Kho (2021).
In 2020, the Mollywood actress took the Tamil film industry by storm with her role as Draupathai in “Karnan,” which starred actor Dhanush opposite her.
In the following year in November, Vajisha became a part of the huge blockbuster hit and widely acclaimed Tamil drama film “Jai Bhim.” She played the role of a teacher named Mythra in the movie, which was a small but significant role in the drama.
Rajisha signed her third Tamil film “Sardar” in May 2020, the shooting of which was halted in April 2021 due to COVID-19. The Times of India
The Malayali actress is all set to make her Telugu debut with a film named “Ramarao on Duty” in March 2022.
- In 2016, Rajisha was felicitated with the Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress for her debut movie, “Anuraga Karikkin Vellam.” She also won the New Promise in Acting (Female) award at the Asia Vision Awards for the same movie.
- Next year, the actress won multiple awards for her debut Malayalam movie. She won the Asianet Film Award for Best Star Pair (shared with Asif Ali), Vanitha Film Award for Best Star Pair, CPC Cine Award for Best Actress, and 2nd IIFA Utsavam Award for ‘Best Performance in a Leading Role-Female (Malayalam).’
- The movie ‘June’ fetched her the Ramu Kariat award for the Best second actress in 2020.
- Rajisha also won the ‘Best Character Actress’ at Asianet Film Awards for her work in movies June, Finals, and Stand Up.
- Actors: Kamal Haasan, Mohanlal
- Actresses: Anushka Shetty, Kalki Koechlin, Konkona Sen Sharma
- Travel Destination: Kullu Manali
- Rajisha likes reading and travelling in her spare time. She is also interested in theatre and athletics. The Mollywood actress is also a trained Indian classical dancer.
- Vijayan was fond of performing arts even when she was in school. She revealed in an interview that she considered studying medicine or engineering in the beginning; however, eventually, her interests inspired her to pursue a career in media. Rajisha recalled her schooling days and said, The Hindu
Like many Malayalis who grew up on a diet of excellent films, deep inside, I always wanted to be in the movies. I have often play-acted my Oscar speech – with a shampoo bottle!”
- In 2019, when Rajisha was shooting for her film ‘Finals,’ she got a severe knee injury on the set of the film. Talking about her injury, the actress said in an interview, OnManorama
I had a knee injury at the location of the ‘Finals.’ The ligaments of my right knee were sprained and I had to complete the rest of the shooting after recovering from the injury. Shooting in the most difficult terrains were completed after I was injured.”
- Rajisha expressed her desire to continue working in the cinema, and she said in an interview, OnManorama
My goal is to keep on doing good cinema. I want characters that challenge the actor in me. Cinema is like an ocean. I have done just five films. There is so much left for me to explore. My hopes and ambitions are wide and infinite.”
I am her biggest fan in Tamil Nadu.