Anushka Shetty is a popular Indian actress, who predominantly works in Telugu and Tamil film industries. She is best known for her portrayal of Princess Devasena in the pan-India film series Baahubali (2015–2017). She is critically acclaimed for her leading performances in the Tamil drama films Vaanam (2011), Deiva Thirumagal (2011) and Size Zero (2015). She is also known for her playing the lead roles in the Telugu film Arundhati (2009), Vedam (2010), and Rudhramadevi (2015).
She pursued a Bachelor of Computer Applications at Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru. Later, she received training in yoga from Bharat Thakur, the husband of actress Bhoomika Chawla. BookMyShow Later, she moved to Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34-30-36
Anushka gained 20 kgs to play the protagonist Soundarya in the film Size Zero (2015). When she was asked why she actually put on the weight, instead of using prosthetics or a body suit, she said,
We did a photoshoot with prosthetics but I felt that though my body looked fat, my arms and face looked leaner. I felt that mismatch would not look good on screen and decided to do it the natural way by piling on the kilos.”
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is A.N. Vittal Shetty, and her mother’s name is Prafulla Shetty. She has two brothers, Gunaranjan Shetty, a businessman, and Sai Ramesh Shetty, a cosmetic surgeon.
Husband & Children
She is unmarried.
After starring in the 2010 Telugu film Vedam, Anushka Shetty was rumoured to date its director, Krish Jagarlamudi; he got married to Ramya Velaga in 2016.
Anushka Shetty is often linked with her Baahubali co-star Prabhas. However, she dismissed the rumours saying,
I have known Prabhas for over 15 years now and he is one of my 3AM friends. We are usually linked up because both of us are not married and make an amazing on screen pair. Had there been anything between both of us, it would have been out by this time.”
In May 2021, it was reported that Anushka is set to marry a Dubai-based businessman, but the media reports turned out to be mere speculations. Once it was speculated that she was going to marry a businessman from Hyderabad. It was also rumoured that Anushka was in love with a cricketer who was playing in the Ranji Trophy for a South Indian team. CNN-News18 But she denied all the rumours and said,
I will definitely let everyone know when I get married.”
Religion & Ethnicity
She is an ethnic Tuluva belonging to the Hindu Bunt community. In 2016, she was seen attending the Kola festival at her ancestral Guthu mane home in Bellipadi in Puttur, Karnataka. Kola is a festival of spirit dance, which is celebrated by the Tulu-speaking communities in the South Kanara districts and Kasaragod districts of Kerala to gratify the Gods. She participated in all festival rituals of the community and sought the blessings of presiding deities Modadeya, Rakteshwari, Maisandaya and Guliga. Daijiworld Media Facebook – Bunts Historical Guthu Houses
In 2005, Shetty made her acting debut with Puri Jagannadh’s Telugu film Super in which she played the role of Sasha, alongside Nagarjuna and Ayesha Takia.
In the same year, she appeared in the film Mahanandi. In 2007, she first gained recognition for starring in the action film Don as Priya in which she shared the screen with Nagarjuna.
In 2010, she came into the limelight for playing the role of a prostitute named Saroja in the anthology film Vedam.
She gained immense popularity for starring in the 2009 film horror fantasy Arundhati in which she played the titular role. The film was a major commercial success and went on to become one of the highest-grossing Telugu films in history at the time, which was later dubbed in several different languages like Malayalam, Tamil, Oriya, and Hindi.
She is also known for her saucy dance performances on various songs like I Wanna Spider Man from Stalin (2006), Nuvvu Ready Nenu Ready from King (2008), and Kedigaadu from Kedi (2010), and Ragada Ragada Ragada from Ragada (2010).
Other popular Telugu films under her belt include Lakshyam (2007), Souryam (2008), and Chintakayala Ravi (2008), Rudhramadevi (2015), Bhaagamathie (2018),
In 2006, she made her Tamil debut with the action thriller film Rendu in which she played the role of Jothi, alongside R. Madhavan and Reemma Sen. She won nominated as Best Supporting Actress for her role as Jothi in Filmfare Awards South (2005).
In 2011, she starred alongside actor Vikram in the melodrama film Deiva Thirumagal in which she played Anuradha Ragunathan.
Her other critically acclaimed performance came in the film Size Zero (2015) in which she played Soundarya ‘Sweety.’
Other popular Tamil films in which she appeared include Vettaikaaran (2009), Singam (2010), Singam 2 (2013), and Yennai Arindhaal (2015).
In 2015, she rose to popularity with the first part of the epic action film series Baahubali in which she played the role of Devasena. Initially, filmed in both Telugu and Tamil languages simultaneously, the film later turned into a pan-India film. In Baahubali: The Beginning (2015), Devasena, a prisoner under the tyrannical rule of king Bhallaladeva who is rescued by Sivu.
In 2017, she appeared in the sequel of Baahubali, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, in which Devasena was shown as the Princess of Kuntala, who marries Baahubali.
After a two-year break from the entertainment industry, she starred in the film Silence, featured on Amazon Prime Video.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Won the title of Favorite Heroine at Vijay Awards for Vettaikaran (2009)
- Special Jury Award at Nandi Awards for Arundhati (2009)
- Best Actress Award at Filmfare Awards South for Arundhati (2009)
- Best Actress Award at CineMAA Awards for Arundhati (2009)
- Best Actress Award at Santosham Film Awards for Arundhati (2009)
- Best Actress (Jury) at CineMAA Awards for Vedam (2010)
- Best Actress Award at Filmfare Awards South for Vedam (2010)
- Best Actress Award at Santosham Film Awards for Vedam (2010)
- Best Actress Award at Nandi Awards for Size Zero (2015)
- Youth Icon of South Indian Cinema at South Indian International Movie Awards (2011)
- Kalaimamani Award by Tamil Nadu State Government (2011)
- TSR Lalitha Kala Parishath Award (2011)
- Special Prize – Best Actress at Tamil Nadu State Film Awards for Deiva Thirumagal (2011)
- Won the title of Favorite Heroine at Vijay Awards for Deiva Thirumagal (2011)
- Best Actress Award at Filmfare Awards South for Rudhramadevi (2015)
- Best Actress (Critics) Awards at South Indian International Movie Awards for Rudhramadevi (2015)
- Best Actress at CineMAA Awards for Rudhramadevi (2015)
- Best Actress Award at Santosham Film Awards for Rudhramadevi (2015)
- Won the title of Best Actress in a Leading Role at Behindwoods Gold Medals for Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017)
- Food: Chicken Curry
- Colour: Black, White
- Destination: London
- Book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Actor: Prabhas
- Her nickname is Mac.
- While she was shooting for her debut film, Super, the director Puri Jagannadh and producer Nagarjuna persuaded Shetty to have a screen name as they felt her real name, Sweety, may not be appealing to the audience. While they mulling over different names, they came across singer Anushka Manchanda, who had lent her voice to one of the songs in the film. Puri Jagannadh and Nagarjuna liked her first name and decided to adopt Anushka as the screen name for Shetty’s film career. YouTube – Wall Post
- She has lent support to various NGOs like Yuva Global Foundation, Sri Rakum School for the Blind,
- She had worked as a Geography Teacher and Yoga Instructor before venturing into the entertainment industry.
- She hates giving auditions. She was rejected after her first audition.
- She likes to collect nature-based articles and poems.
- She is one of the highest-paid female actors in the south film industry who reportedly charged Rs 5 crore for playing Devasena in Baahubali. After the late actress Sridevi, she is the second Indian actress to have a $ 1 Million grosser at the US Box Office.
- She ranked number one on the lists of Hyderabad Times Most Desirable Women (2015) and Hyderabad Times Forever Desirable Women (2021).