Liza Koshy is an Indian-American media personality, actress, and host. She became an internet sensation after she started posting punnery, physical gags, and parody videos on YouTube, mostly in which she is disguised as her alter egos named Jet Packinski III, Helga, and Carlos. Koshy has hosted several events including Met Gala and Golden Globes Awards 2017. As of 2020, she has received four Streamy Awards, four Teen Choice Awards, and a Kids’ Choice Award.
Elizabeth Shaila “Liza” Koshy was born on Sunday, 31 March 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022) in Houston, Texas. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She was born and brought up by her parents in Houston. In 2014, she completed her schooling at Lamar High School in Houston. In 2015, she pursued a bachelor’s degree in business marketing at the University of Houston; however, after a year, she dropped out and moved to Los Angeles.
Instagram – WIRED Height (approx.): 5′
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 30-26-30
Parents & Siblings
On 21 April 1984, Liza’s parents got married to each other. Her father, Jose Koshy, is an Indian Malayali petroleum executive from Kerala. Jose was also appointed as the director of a non-profit organization named Houston Full Gospel Church of God in Texas. Liza’s mother, Jean Koshy Hertzler, is an American yoga instructor of German descent. Liza is the youngest of three siblings. Her sisters’ names are Olivia Koshy and Rahel Koshy. YouTube – WIRED
She is unmarried.
In 2015, Liza Koshy made her relationship with YouTuber David Dobrik public; however, the couple called it quits in 2018. They made a 6-minute-long video in which they announced their breakup to their fans on YouTube.
In February 2020, she was rumoured to be dating former Broadway star Anthony Ramos after she uploaded a video on her social media titled “I’M IN RELATIONSHIP”; however, it was later confirmed that they shot a music video for Anthony’s song titled Relationship.
Social Media Influencer
In 2013, she started posting comical short videos of herself on the Vine platform under the pseudonym “Lizzza” and gained more than 6 million followers on the social media platform. Later, she also created a channel on YouTube and gained more than 5 million subscribers in no time. She was listed among ‘Teen Vogue’s Top 10 YouTubers to Watch’ in 2016. Teen Vogue Koshy also started making lip-sync videos on TikTok (formerly known as Musical.ly) and was one of the top musers.
She garnered appreciation on YouTube with her videos especially the ones in which she appeared as her alter egos, Jet Packinski III, Helga, and Carlos.
In 2016, she made her acting debut with the horror comedy film FML (2016) in which she appeared as Princess Audrey. Later, she appeared in several Hollywood films such as Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016). In 2018, she lent her voice to the character Owl in an animated virtual-reality short film titled Crow: The Legend, starring John Legend. In 2020, she appeared as Jasmine Hale in the Netflix dance-comedy film Work It alongside actor Sabrina Carpenter and Jordan Fisher.
She voiced the character of Zipp Storm in the Netflix film My Little Pony: A New Generation (2021).
Liza has appeared in several television series including, David’s Vlog (2015), Sugar Pine 7 (2016), Welcome to the Wayne (2017), Escape the Night (2017), Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? (2019), and The Tiny Chef Show (2022).
In 2016, she appeared as herself in the YouTube Originals series Jingle Ballin’.
In 2018, Liza produced and starred as the protagonist in a YouTube Premium comedy series titled Liza on Demand, which earned her a nomination for Shorty Awards 2019 for Best Web Series.
In November 2016, just before the 2016 United States presidential election, Koshy interviewed Barack Obama on her YouTube channel following which she became a noted YouTuber. Instagram – Liza Koshy
She hosted several award shows including the Golden Globes Awards 2017. In 2018, she hosted a game show titled revival Double Dare on Nickelodeon for which she received a Daytime Emmy Award nomination. Koshy has conducted many celebrity interviews during events such as Met Galas (2018 and 2019) on behalf of Vogue.
She hosted the revival of the Nickelodeon game show Double Dare (2018) and the Quibi dance competition show titled Floored (2020).
TV show judge
She has appeared as a judge on several TV shows such as Sugar Rush Christmas (2021). In 2022, she appeared as a judge on the American dance competition television series Dancing with Myself, which premiered on NBC along with Shakira and Nick Jonas.
In 2019, she appeared in the music video of the song Woke Up Late by Drax Project ft. Hailee Steinfeld and in 2020, she featured in Anthony Ramos’s song titled Relationship from the album The Good & The Bad.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2016: Streamy Award for Breakout Creator
- 2017: Teen Choice Award for Choice Female Web Star
- 2017: Streamy Award for the Comedy category
- 2018: Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Funny YouTube Creator
- 2018: Teen Choice Awards for Choice Female Web Star, Choice Comedy Web Star, and Choice YouTuber
- 2018: Streamy Awards for Comedy Series: Liza on Demand and Acting in a Comedy: Liza on Demand
- 2019: Forbes 30 Under 30 Hollywood & Entertainment list
- 2019: The Time 2019 list of the 25 Most Influential People on the Internet and 100 Next list Time Time
- Animal: Dog
- Beverage: Coffee
- Actress: Jessica Alba
- Singer: Beyonce
- When Liza was studying at Lamar High School, she was part of the school’s varsity drill team called the Rangerettes Varsity Drill Team.
- When she was studying in school, she won the title of Homecoming Princess.
- In 2016, she was the only social entertainer chosen to promote the MTV Movie Awards.
- In 2017, she became the fastest YouTuber to reach 10 million subscribers. Cosmopolitan
- Koshy has collaborated with The Giving Keys, a jewellery company that employs and supports the formerly homeless population, on a necklace collection.
- She worked for the Creators For Change campaign in 2020 along with former first lady Michelle Obama, Indian YouTuber Prajakta Koli and African YouTuber Thembe Mahlaba. Creators for Change is an initiative by the United Nations and YouTube where 50 creators from around the world are chosen to create content on social issues.
- In an interview, Liza revealed that once her friend ripped her eyebrows apart so she used a blue sharpie to fill the gap.
- Koshy is the first digital star who was interviewed for Vogue magazine’s “73 Questions” web series.
- Liza Koshy is a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees supporter.
- In an interview, she revealed that she loved watching ASMR videos as they help her fall asleep.
- Her YouTube channel has more than 17 million subscribers and she has more than 20 million followers on Instagram.
- Liza Koshy is a Democratic Party supporter. She is a co-chair of “When We All Vote”, a nonpartisan, nonprofit group dedicated to increasing voter participation. Facebook – Michelle Obama
- She has appeared as a guest in several talk shows including The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Kelly Clarkson Show, and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- In 2022, she appeared in the celebrity holiday special on a TV show titled The Great American Baking Show along with D’Arcy Carden (actress), Joel Kim Booster (comedian), Marshawn Lynch (former NFL player), Nat Faxon (actor and writer), and Chloe Fineman (actress). Instagram – Liza Koshy