Leona Lishoy is an Indian model and actress who works predominantly in the Malayalam film industry. She is best known for her roles in Annmariya Kalippilannu (2016) and Ishq (2019).
Leona Lishoy was born on Friday, 26 April 1991 (age 31 years; as of 2022) in Thrissur, Kerala, India. She completed her schooling at Hari Sri Vidya Nidhi School, Thrissur, Kerala. Her family moved to Bengaluru, India and Leona completed her undergraduate- degree at Christ University, Bangalore. She received her MBA diploma from Symbiosis University, Bangalore. Leona and her family returned to Thrissur, Kerala after she became an actress. Malayala Manorama
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Leona belongs to a Malayali family in Thrissur, Kerala, India.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Lishoy, was an actor and her mother, Bindu Lishoy, was a homemaker. In an interview, she revealed that her mother was diagnosed with cancer when Leona was pursuing her degree. FilmiBeat
Her brother, Lional Lishoy, was a dancer and music composer. In November 2020, Lional got married to Tanya Gijy, an illustrator. The Indian Express
In an interview, Leona confirmed that she was dating someone but did not disclose the identity of the person she was dating. FilmiBeat
Leona’s father, Lishoy, was an actor who had appeared in Malayalam films and television serials. In an interview, she revealed that she was never interested in acting, and her father was the main reason she became an actress. Her debut film Kalikaalam (2012) was directed by Reji Nair, a close friend of Lishoy; Her father urged her to try out for the Kalikaalam, and she got the role. In 2015, she made her Kannada debut with D Shivalinga’s directorial ‘Mr. Premi’. In 2021, she made her Telugu debut with ‘Ishq: Not A Love Story’ the remake of the Malayalam movie Ishq (2019).
Leona made her debut in the film industry with Reji Nair’s Kalikaalam (2012), but the movie was not released. In 2012, she was cast in Jawan of Vellimala and played the love interest (Jenny Varghese) of Asif Ali (Koshi Oommen); Jawan of Vellimala was a commercial flop, but Leona’s performance was noticed. She did an extended cameo in the Fahadh Faasil starrer ‘North 24 Kaatham’ (2013), and the movie won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam. In 2016, she was cast in ‘Annmariya Kalippilaanu’ directed by Midhun Manuel Thomas, and she played the role of Dr Teresa Roy. The movie was a commercial success and gave her a breakthrough in the industry.
Leona was cast as Sameera in the Tovino Thomas starrer Mayaanadhi (2017); the movie received a positive critical response. In 2019, Leona was cast as Anna Maria in the psychological thriller Athiran. She played the role of Mariya in the romantic thriller Ishq (2019) and won critical appreciation for her performance, and she was also cast in the Telugu remake of the movie. In 2020, she was announced as one of the lead actors in the mystery thriller Anveshanam; Leona played the role of ACP Latha Siddarth IPS. She was cast as ‘Fida’ in Jeethu Joseph’s mystery thriller 12th Man.
In 2020, she was cast as ‘Thara Koshi’ in Sidharth Bharathan’s directorial Djinn. The filming was completed in mid-2020; however, the release was postponed to January 2023 for some reasons.
Leona played the role of Shayari in the Malayalam short film Ezhamathe Chaya Chithram (2018). In 2022, she played the role of ‘Pennu’ (Woman) in the Malayalam short film Kankettu – The Undefined.
- In 2020, she was nominated at the South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA) for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Malayalam) for her performance in Ishq (2019).
- In 2022, she was nominated at the Filmfare Awards South as Best Supporting Actress for her role in Anveshanam (2020).
- In an interview, Leona revealed that she was diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis and how it had affected her mentally and physically. Leona got to know about the condition after she underwent another
surgery which was for fibroids. Following the diagnosis, Leona said that she was prescribed to intake hormone tablets which caused frequent mood swings that hindered her professional and personal life. During the filming of 12th Man, Mohanlal, who had earlier worked with Leona in the movie Ram, enquired about her condition and suggested following Ayurvedic treatment. According to her, Ayurvedic medicine proved to be more effective. The Indian Express
- Leona’s favourite actors are Mohanlal and Manju Warrier. In an interview, Leona said that she was an admirer of the Mohanlal-Manju Warrier combination, and her favourite movies were Vanaprastham, Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu, and Aaraam Thampuran. FilmiBeat
- In an interview, Leona opened up about her unfulfilled desire to had learned interior design as an academic subject and her interest in interior design. Malayala Manorama
- Leona has a tattoo on her right hand. In an interview, she revealed that it was designed combinedly among herself and a friend. The design denotes a clapboard, camera and a play button, all of which resonated with her acting career and the film industry.