Soubin Shahir is an Indian actor, director, and writer who works in the Malayalam film industry. He is known for his work as an actor in films like ‘Parava’ (2017), ‘Sudani from Nigeria’ (2018), and ‘Kumbalangi Nights’ (2019).
Soubin Shahir was born on Wednesday, 12 October 1983 (age 39 years; as of 2022) in Fort Kochi, also known as Fort Cochin, Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Libra. Soubin grew up in Fort Kochi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper (Semi-Bald)
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Soubin’s father, Babu Shahir, worked as an assistant director and production controller in Malayalam-language films including In Harihar Nagar (1990), Godfather (1991), and Manichitrathazhu (1993), while his mother, Soudha Babushahir, is a homemaker. Soubin Shahir has an elder brother named Shabin Shahir and a sister named Linutha Shibu.
Wife & Children
Soubin Shahir got married to Jamia Zaheer, a marketing professional, on 16 December 2017.
The couple has a son named Orhan.
Soubin Shahir dated Jamia Zaheer before tying the knot with her in 2017.
Soubin Shahir made his acting debut with the 1992 comedy-drama film ‘Vietnam Colony’ as a child artist. In the same year, he appeared in the film ‘Pappayude Swantham Appoos.’
Soubin worked as a child artist in a coming-of-age comedy-drama film titled ‘Kabooliwala’ in 1994. He appeared as a bus passenger in the film ‘Kaiyethum Doorath’ in 2002. Soubin Shahir debuted as a lead actor with the film ‘Sudani from Nigeria’ (2018) in which he appeared as ‘Majeed.’
Soubin appeared in many other films such as Vicky in ‘Oru Yamandan Premakadha’ (2019), Kuttaps in ‘Jack N’ Jill’ (2022), and K. P. Suresh in ‘Vellari Pattanam’ (2023).
Soubin worked as an assistant director for the first time in the Malayalam-language romantic comedy-drama film ‘Chronic Bachelor’ (2003). He later assisted many directors including Fazil, Rafi–Mecartin, Santosh Sivan, Amal Neerad, and Rajeev Ravi.
In 2017, Soubin Shahir made his directorial debut with the Malayalam-language drama film ‘Parava’ in which he played the role of a drug addict.
Soubin Shahir co-wrote the script of the Malayalam-language film ‘Parava’ (2017).
- Asianet Comedy Awards for Best Pair with Vinay Forrt in the film ‘Premam’
- Flowers Comedy Awards for Best Supporting Actor Comedy
- Asianet Comedy Awards’ – All Rounder of the Year
- Asiavision Awards for Best Debut Director for the film ‘Parava’
- Award for Performance In A Comic Role for the film ‘Charlie’ at 2nd IIFA Utsavam
- Won Best Debut Director award for the film ‘Parava’ at Vanitha Film Awards
- Asianet Film Awards’ Honorary Special Award for the film ‘Parava’
- Special Award at 66th Filmfare Awards South for the film ‘Sudani from Nigeria’
- Best Actor award for the film ‘Sudani From Nigeria’ at Kerala State Film Awards
- Vanitha Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor for the films ‘Kumbalangi Nights’ and ‘Virus’
Soubin Shahir owns a BMW R 1250 GS Adventure and a Harley Davidson Street 750.
Soubin owns Lexus ES 300h Luxury and Mercedes-Benz E 250 CDI. In 2017, Soubin opted to transform the colour of his Mercedes-Benz E 250 CDI from silver to a striking pearl black shade. He entrusted the task to WrapStyle, an automobile service company in Kerala.
Soubin Shahir has got four inverted V tattoo inked on his right forearm.
- Soubin’s passion for cinema dates back to his childhood, when he held a strong desire to be a part of the film industry.
- Soubin actively participated in sports, fancy dress competitions, and acting during his college days. In an interview, he talked about his interests and mentioned that while he dedicated himself to these co-curricular pursuits, he prioritized his studies as a secondary focus; however, this approach did not tarnish his reputation as a student. On the contrary, his active involvement in extracurricular endeavours earned him a positive image, and he was not perceived as a neglectful or inattentive student.
- Soubin has a penchant for caps, and it’s quite common to see him donning them.
- In an interview, Soubin shared his journey in the Malayalam film industry from the beginning as an assistant director with the aspiration to rise to the position of chief associate director. He revealed that he was advised to view his role not as a mere job with a salary, but rather as an opportunity for continuous learning and understanding the finer details of filmmaking. While talking about this, in an interview, Soubin said,
I joined as an assistant director but was told never to look at it as a salaried job. It was always about learning the nuances. The hope then was to become the chief associate director one day. there was still a lot left to learn. So more than becoming a director one day, the aim was to just become an associate director. It was during this phase that I was approached to act in films like Annayum rasoolumm (2013). However, I had this feeling that I should direct films. So I decided to take a break from acting. I was just going with the flow.”
- In February 2022, Soubin took to Instagram to share a special moment from his early days as an assistant director. He fondly recalled that his first clapboard experience was with the esteemed Indian actor K. P. A. C. Lalitha, capturing her face on the clapboard. Soubin expressed his deep admiration for her incredible talent as an actor and considered himself fortunate to have the opportunity to share the screen with her in a film titled ‘Djinn.’
- In July 2022, a controversy erupted when several defamatory posts targeting Soubin Shahir surfaced on Indian filmmaker Omar Lulu‘s Facebook profile. As a barrage of such posts began flooding his Facebook wall, the director quickly took down them. Following this incident, he issued a public apology to Soubin Shahir and the general public, asserting that neither he nor his team had any knowledge of the incident. Omar later asserted that his account had been subjected to a hacking attempt, which he believed could have been the source of those derogatory posts. The Times of India Omar’s Facebook post read,
Dear friends. It has come to my notice that some screenshots are circulating online where I am accused of defaming the actor Soubin Shahir. I have contacted my Facebook page admins who unfortunately have no idea about the fake screenshots. I don’t know whether my account is hacked and I genuinely apologize to the actor Soubin Shahir and his loved ones for hurting their feelings.”
- In May 2023, Omar Lulu publicly criticised Soubin, describing him as uncooperative and indisciplined. According to Omar, during the production of the film ‘Happy Wedding’ (2018), Soubin allegedly ignored phone calls and failed to show up for dubbing sessions. In an interview, Omar talked about this and said that the emerging generation of Malayalam actors has been increasingly causing difficulties for both directors and producers in the industry. India Today