Kiran Kumar is an Indian actor who has worked in many Hindi, Rajasthani, and Gujarati Films.
Kiran Kumar was born on 20 October 1945 (age 73 years; as in 2018) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra. Kiran did his schooling from Indore’s The Daly College and went to R.D. National College, Bandra, Mumbai to complete his graduation. After completing his graduation, Kiran enrolled himself in Film and Television Institute of India (FTTI), Pune to pursue a course in acting.
Height: 5’ 11”
Weight: 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Kiran Kumar belongs to Kashmiri Hindu Family. He is the grandson of the Vazir-e-Vazarat of Gilgit. His father, Jeevan Kumar, was an Indian actor. Not much is known about his mother. Kiran has a brother, Bhushan Jeevan, and two sisters, Nikki Jeevan, Rikki Ugra.
He is married to former Gujarati actress, stylist, and consultant, Sushma Verma. The couple has two sons, Shaurya Kumar, an actor, and Vikas Kumar. They also have a daughter, Srishti Kumar, who runs a Jewellery and Clothing Label “Shush & Shish.”
Kumar started his acting career in 1960 by making a cameo in “Love In Shimla.” However, his debut as a lead actor came in 1974 with the film “Azad Mohabbat.” Kiran saw his career suffer after the release of the films like “Jungle Mein Mangal” and he chose to work in the Gujarati movies after the slump. He quickly received fame in the Gujarati Film Industry and attained the title “The Bachhan of Gujarati Cinema.” Rakesh Roshan brought him back to the Hindi Cinema with his film “Khudgarz” following which he appeared in a negative role in films like “Tezaab” and “Khuda Gawah.” His portrayal of the negative roles won him several accolades.
Kiran has also featured in several TV serials including “Zindagi,” “Ghutan,” “Sahil,” “Manzil,” “Grihasti,” “Katha Sagar,” “Aur Phir Ek Din,” “Papa,” “Miilee,” “Aur Phir Ek Din,” and “Agneepath.” He is a member of the core committee of the CINTAA (Cine and TV Artists Association). He was a part of the ‘Superstars Ka Jalwa,’ an event that brought the entire Hindi Film and television industry together to raise funds for CINTAA.
- Actress: Meena Kumari
- Cuisine: Gujarati Food
- His hobby is watching Cricket.
- Kiran is an ardent follower of Sai Baba and has also named his production house after him: Saitama Visions.
- He was born as ‘Deepak Dhar’ but, later, he changed his name to Kiran Kumar.
- He is often mixed up with the choreographer Kiran Kumar for having the same initials.
- Kiran was accused of copying veteran actor Rajesh Khanna’s mannerisms but Kiran stated that he has copied the acting mannerisms of the theatre artist V. K. Sharma. Apparently, V. K. Sharma was the acting guru of Rajesh Khanna in his theatre days.
- His father, Jeevan, wanted Kiran to work only in Hindi films as a hero. He opposed him working in the Gujarati Films but Kumar was not getting any work in the Hindi Film Industry so he was left with no choice.