Devoleena Bhattacharjee is an Indian television actress who is best known for playing the role of ‘Gopi Ahem Modi’ in Star Plus’ TV serial “Saath Nibhaana Saathiya.”
Devoleena Bhattacharjee was born on Wednesday, 22 August 1990 (age 29 years; as in 2019) in Sivasagar, Assam. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
She attended Assam’s Godhula Brown Memorial English High School. She has done graduation in Commerce (Accountancy Honours). Devoleena, then, did a course in Jewellery Designing & Development from the National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi. Thereafter, she started working as a Jewellery Designer in Gili India Ltd., Mumbai. Devoleena was inclined towards music and dance from a very young age. She started learning classical music when she was 6 years old and has attained Sangeet Visharad Part 1 in Classical Music from Bhatkhande Music Institute, Lucknow.
She is also a trained Bharatanatyam Dancer and has received her training from Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai. She has won many dance competitions. Before becoming an actress, Devoleena had appeared in a number of plays like ‘Miri Jiyor,’ ‘Annie Frank’s Diary,’ ‘Ashimot Jaar Heraal Hima,’ and ‘Sonitkuwari.’ She participated in Sangeet Natak Academy’s youth festival and won the best actress award for the play- ‘Maya.’
Height (approx.): 5’ 4”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Devoleena Bhattacharjee was born into a Bengali Brahmin Family. Her father passed away in 1997. He was an employ of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONCG). Her mother, Anima Bhattacharjee, is an Assamese. She speaks both, Bengali and Assamese languages and follows both the traditions. She has a younger brother, Andeep Bhattacharjee.
Devoleena was rumoured to be dating the television actor, Vishal Singh.
Devoleena Bhattacharjee started her career in 2010 by participating in the dance reality show “Dance India Dance” season 2.
She made her acting debut in 2011 with the TV serial “Sawaare Sabke Sapne Preeto” in which she played the role of ‘Baani.’ Next, she replaced Giaa Manek for the role of ‘Gopi’ in the TV serial “Saath Nibhaana Saathiya” and garnered overnight success. Devoleena played the protagonist in the show for 5 years.
Devoleena has made special appearances in the TV serials “Diya Aur Baati Hum,” “Ye Hai Mohabbatein, ” and “Choti Sardarni.”
She has also participated in reality shows like “Killerr Karaoke Atka Toh Latkah” and “Box Cricket League 3.”
In 2017, Devoleena made her singing debut with the song “Hey Gopal Krishna Karu Aarti Teri.”
In 2019, she entered the game reality show “Big Bos 13” as a contestant. Click here to check the complete list of Bigg Boss 13 contestants.
- In January 2015, Devoleena landed into controversy for her catfight with the television actress, Loveleen Kaur Sasan, who played the role of ‘Paridhi’ in the TV serial “Saath Nibhaana Saathiya.” Reportedly, Devoleena was insecure with Loveleen’s entrance in the show.
- In 2016, a few media reports claimed that there were paranormal activities occurring on the sets of Saath Nibhaana Saathiya and Devoleena confirmed the same. She said in a press interview that the sets of the show were haunted and had a negative influence on the cast and crew.
- In the same year, she attracted controversy for her feud with the television actor, Vishal Singh, who played the role of ‘Jigar Modi’ in Saath Nibhaana Saathiya. Reportedly, Bhattacharjee was rehearsing her script with the director and Vishal and Vandana Vithlani (television actress), who were seated close to the actress, were cracking jokes and giggling, which disturbed her. She lost her cool and shouted at Vandana, which didn’t go well with Vishal and he told her not to shout at a senior actor. This small issue snowballed into a heated argument and they both started hurling abuses at each other. However, they settled their differences after a few months.
- In October 2016, Devoleena accused Utkarsha Naik, who played the role of ‘Pramila’ in ‘Saath Nibhaana Saathiya,’ of kidnapping her dog ‘Jugnu’ from the sets of the show. She even filed a complaint against her to PETA. Devoleena said,
Yes, I am filing a complaint against Utkarsha, I think she is the one who is behind missing of Jugnu. Utkarsha was the one who took Jugnu in her car. And she was very obsessive about him. I am confident that it’s Utkarsha who has done this thing. I am going to file a complaint against her in PETA.”
- In 2018, Devoleena got embroiled in a controversy after she was summoned for questioning by the Mumbai’s Pant Nagar Police in a diamond trader’s murder case. Her name cropped up in the inquiry after her phone number was found in Rajeshwar Udani’s (diamond merchant) call details. However, the actress later cleared that she was safe and it was a normal investigation.
- Hindi Ratna Award by Opera Miss/Mrs India Global (2018)
Awards for the TV serial “Saath Nibhaana Saathiya”
- ITA Award for Desh Ki Dhadkan Best Actress – Popular (2013)
- Star Parivaar Award for Favourite Bahu (2014)
- Indian Telly Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role (2015)
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for Most Entertaining Television Actor – Female (2015)
- Star Parivaar Award for Favourite Patni (2015)
- Star Parivaar Award for Favourite Bahu (2015)
- Zee Gold Award for Popular Bahu On Indian Television (2016)
- Star Parivaar Award for Favourite Bahu (2017)
Devoleena owns a Honda City car.
- Food: Bhapa Ilish
- Cuisines: Indian, Continental, Italian
- Colour: Grey
- Fashion Designer: AD Singh
- Cartoon Character: Chota Bheem
- Her hobbies include acting, dancing, singing, cooking, doing yoga, and gardening.
- She is often spotted drinking alcohol on many occasions.
- Devoleena is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer.
- Devoleena was one of the highest-paid television actresses during 2014-2017.
- Bhattacharjee is a food buff and loves to try new dishes.
- She is an ardent follower of Lord Ganesha.
- She is fond of animals and owns a dog named Angel Bhattacharjee.
- In 2013, Devoleena suffered an injury on the sets of her show “Saath Nibhaana Saathiya,” after which she underwent a backbone surgery.
- She is very particular about her fitness and visits the gym regularly.
- Devoleena has got many tattoos inked on her body, which includes, ‘an infinity design which has faith and family written in between’ on her back, ‘a Lotus flower’ on her lower waist (right side), a ‘breathe’ symbol on her wrist, ‘free spirit’ written on the left side mid-riff, and the words ‘Every Breath is a choice, the optimist with leaves and birds’ on her left foot.
- Devoleena revealed in an interview that her dream role was to play the role of ‘Kumud’ in the TV serial “Saraswatichandra.”