Katherine Langford is an Australian actress who is best known for her roles as ‘Hannah Baker’ in the Netflix series ’13 Reasons Why’ (2017) and ‘Nimue’ in Netflix series ‘Curse’ (2020).
Katherine Langford was born on Monday, April 29, 1996 (age 24 years; as in 2020), in Perth, Western Australia, and was raised in Applecross, Australia. Her zodiac sign is Taurus. She began taking voice lessons in 2005 with Heidi Lake and has taken training in classical, jazz, and contemporary vocals. She did her schooling from Perth Modern School, where she studied music and drama and was the sports captain there. She was also a nationally ranked swimmer. By the end of her high school, she had decided to become an actor but met with struggles as she was not accepted in any acting schools. She then began taking acting classes and workshops in Perth; she juggled between three part-time jobs, and finally managed to find an agent. She majored in Musical Theatre from Principal Academy of Dance & Theatre Arts, Leederville. In 2016, she was selected for the National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA) Advanced Actors Residency. The same year, she studied at Nicholson’s Academy of Screen Acting. She was offered a Bachelor of Arts program at Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts and was set to join in 2016. However, she chose to become an acting professional and didn’t enroll at the academy.
Height IMDb: 5′ 5½”
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Brown
Family & Ethnicity
Her father, Dr. Stephen Langford, is Royal Flying Doctor Service’s director of medical services (who was named WA’s Local Hero for 2016).
Her mother, Dr. Elizabeth Langford (née Green), is a pediatrician.
She has a sister named Josephine Langford who is also an actress.
Katherine began her career by appearing in the independent short films- Story of Miss Oxygen (2015), Daughter (2016), and Imperfect Quardrant (2016).
She auditioned for the television series ‘13 Reasons Why’ (2017-20) over skype and bagged the lead role of ‘Hannah Baker’ in the series. For her role in the series, she was nominated as Breakthrough Performer of the Year at the 2017 Gold Derby Award, Best Actress (Television Drama Awards) at the 2018 Golden Globe Awards, Best Actor in a Show at the 2018 MTV Movie and TV Awards, The Drama TV Star of 2017 Award at the 2018 People’s Choice Awards, and Best Actress – Television Series Drama at the 2018 Satellite Awards.
She has acted in the TV series- Robot Chicken (2018) and Cursed (2020). She made her film debut with Australian film, The Misguided (2018) as ‘Vesna.’
She has acted in the films- Love, Simon (2018), Knives Out (2019), and Spontaneous.
- Singer: Lady Gaga
- Book: Lights Out in Wonderland Book by DBC Pierre, Her Again: Becoming Meryl Streep by Michael Schulman
- Directors: Quentin Tarantino, Ryan Johnson, John East
- Fashion Designer: Alexander McQueen
- Film: Titanic (1997), Romeo + Juliet (1997)
- Actors: Orlando Bloom
- To relieve her stress, she writes songs, reads books, plays the piano, and sings.
- Her family members and loved ones call her ‘Kat’ with love. IMDb
- During high school, she was interested in medicine and politics; her third choice was musical theatre. It was in 2012 when she attended Born This Way Ball, the concert tour of Lady Gaga that inspired her to learn piano. She wrote three songs- I’ve Got a Crush on Zoe Bosch, Young and Stupid, and Three Words, and uploaded the videos of her singing the songs online; Young and Stupid was an anti-suicide song, which was inspired by the suicide of three Perth teens.
- For her final year in high school, she stopped swimming and shifted her attention to music and drama. She participated in many music and drama competitions and was successful in most of them. She also appeared in the school’s production of the Australian play ‘Hotel Sorrento.’
- While studying at Principal Academy of Dance & Theatre Arts, she acted in the musical ‘Godspell.’ In the same year, she played the role of ‘Juan Perón’s mistress’ in the 2015 production of ‘Evita.’
- In 2016, she audition for the television series ‘Will ’ (2017). She did not get the role, and the role went to Olivia DeJonge.
- In 2017, she won the Australians in Film Awards in the category of Screen Australia Breakthrough Award.
- In May 2017, she protested against the State Government’s plan to strip the Perth Modern School of its academically selective status and relocate lessons for gifted pupils to a high-rise building in the city.
- In October 2018, she was cast in ‘Avengers: Endgame.’ She was cast as a teenage version of Tony Stark’s daughter, Morgan. However, her scenes from the film were removed as the change in actors confused the test audience, and the filmmakers did not feel any emotional connection with the older version of Morgan.
- She was included in the Forbes 30 Under 30 Entertainment & Sports 2018 list.
- Katherine Langford is often seen supporting the LGBTQ+ community on social media and public platforms.
- Selena Gomez, who was the executive producer of ’13 Reasons Why’ asked Katherine to have a public social media account in order to connect to her fans. Talking about it, she said,
Selena pointed out that the show is targeting young adults like me and that [social media] is a good medium to talk directly with those who relate to my character, Hannah.”
References [ + ]