Jeremy Lalrinnunga is an Indian weightlifter who won India’s first gold medal in the Youth Olympics Games (2018) in the 62 kg men’s category.
Jeremy Lalrinnunga Ralte Facebook- Jeremy Lalrinnunga Ralte was born on Saturday, 26 October 2002 (age 19 years; as of 2021) in Aizawl, Mizoram. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
Jeremy started his training in boxing at the age of 6. His father, who is a former boxer, used to train him in boxing. When he was 7 years old, he used to visit a gym centre in his village. There, he used to watch boys training and doing weightlifting. From there he developed an interest in weightlifting. In an interview, while remembering those days, he said,
I used to watch boys training at a gym near my house. They used to lift weights. It excited me. That’s what gave me the encouragement I needed to try my hand at the sport. I approached those boys in the gym and asked them if they can teach me how to lift. I started doing it and started lifting weights with perfection. May be God wanted me to become a weightlifter someday.”
When he was 8 years old, his father’s boxing academy was shut down due to certain financial obligations. Jeremy then approached Malsawma Khiangte (his first coach) to provide him professional training in weightlifting. During an interview, while talking about it, Jeremy said,
I approached Malsawma. He is the one who gave me professional weightlifting lessons. He used to ask me to bring a bamboo and asked me to lift it slowly. Those were 5m long and 20mm wide. There was no weight on them, but it was actually tough to lift a stick than a weight because you need to know how to balance it. It is quite tough. I practiced day and night, lifting bamboo sticks and learning the art of balancing.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, Lalmaithuava Ralte, works as a muster roll labourer at Public Works Department, Aizawl. Lalmaithuava is a former national junior boxing champion. Jeremy’s mother’s name is Lalmuanpuii Ralte. He has four brothers named Jerry Ralte (boxer), Joseph Ralte (boxer), James Ralte (boxer), and Jacob Ralte. Jeremy’s eldest brother Jerry works at the Public Works Department in Aizawl.
According to his Facebook account, he is in a relationship. Facebook- Jeremy Lalrinnunga Ralte
He follows Christianity. YouTube- MOSES NG Show
At the age of 9, he was selected in talent scouting by the Army Sports Institute (ASI), Pune. He then continued his training in weightlifting at ASI and participated in various national and international weightlifting competitions. Later, Jeremy joined the Indian National Camp in Patiala where he did his training under his coach Vijay Sharma. He then participated in various weightlifting competitions including World Youth Championships, Khelo India Youth Games, Asian Youth and Junior Championships, and Commonwealth Youth and Junior Championships.
View this post on Instagram
In 2018, he participated in the Youth Olympic Games and finished with a combined tally of 274 kg (124 kg in the snatch and 150 kg in the clean and jerk). He won a gold medal in the event. In 2019, he participated in the World Weightlifting Championships in the men’s 67 kg category and finished at the 21st rank in the event. His coaches are Malsawma Khiangte, Zarzokema, and Vijay Sharma.
- 2016: Silver medal at the World Youth Championships under 56 kg
- 2017: Gold medal at Commonwealth Youth Championships Gold Coast
- 2017: Gold medal at Commonwealth Junior Championship Gold Coast
- 2018: Gold medal at Youth Olympics, Buenos Aires
- 2021: GoSports Foundation Annual Sports Award
- Sports Person: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Travel Destination: Argentina
- Restaurant: Sanpiau Restaurant in Aizawl
- Film: Spider-Man (2002)
- Football Club: Manchester United
- Song: Perfect (2017) by Ed Sheeran
- Food: Potato and Dal
- Super Model: Gigi Hadid
- Jeremy’s friends lovingly call him Jalebi and German. YouTube- MOSES NG Show
- He has got a few tattoos inked on his left arm including a tattoo of Olympic rings on his bicep, and a tattoo of a weightlifter on his forearm.
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga follows a non-vegetarian diet. YouTube- MOSES NG Show
- In his leisure time, he loves to travel and hang out with his friends.
- In 2018, on winning a gold medal in Youth Olympics Games, he said,
I just can’t wait to meet my father. I will directly go to his office and will pay a surprise visit to him. He works as a labourer. I am really proud that my father did everything he could to help me become a sportsman. I am so so happy to fulfill his dreams. He is on contract and can be asked to leave his job anytime. I want him to relax. I will take care of my family now.”
- Jeremy has done paid promotion for the clothing brand Adidas on his Instagram account.