Grusha Kapoor is an Indian film and television actress, who primarily works in Bollywood and Hindi television industry. She is known for television shows such as Siya Ke Ram (2015), Sansaar (2001), Kehta Hai Dil (2002), and Golu Ke Goggles (2006).
Grusha Kapoor was born on Monday, 6 March 1978 (age 45 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Pisces.
In an interview, she revealed that she could not get into college due to her acting career and said,
I could not attend college as I started working at a very young age. As for my earliest memories of theatre… I acted in a play directed by Mausi Amita Udgata for Sahitya Kala Parishad. I must have been 7 or 8 years old then. I remember getting a huge round of applause when we came for a curtain call.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Ranjit Kapoor, is an acclaimed theatre director, NSD alumni, actor, and film writer. He is known for writing films like The Legend of Bhagat Singh (2002) and Lajja (2001). Grusha Kapoor’s mother, Tisha Kapoor, is a homemaker. Grusha has a younger brother named Misharanjit Kapoor. She had an elder brother, who died due to meningitis.
Her paternal grandfather, Madan Lal Kapoor, ran a travelling theatre company by the name of Bhopal Theatre. Grusha Kapoor’s grandmother, Kamal Shabnam Kapoor, was a writer and teacher. The Daily Eye Her uncle, Annu Kapoor, is a television actor.
Husband & Children
She follows Hinduism.
Grusha began her career by debuting as Devyani Seth in the comedy-drama show Tara in 1995. She became popular after portraying several supporting roles in the television industry. She became prominent after the role of Lalita Devi in the television show Kehta Hai Dil (2002), which aired on StarPlus. Grusha later worked in several television shows including Sansaar (2001), Lipstick (2002), and Siya Ke Ram (2015). In 2018, Grusha Kapoor played the role of a mother, Balwant Kaur Vohra, in a web series titled Karenjit Kaur, the biopic of Sunny Leone, which streamed on ZEE5. She has played various episodic characters in Sony TV’s show C.I.D.
She made her acting debut in Bollywood with the film “Hawa,” directed by Guddu Dhanoa, in 2003.
Grusha worked in several other Bollywood films like Chintu Ji (2009), Ujda Chaman (2019), Aankh Micholi (2023), and U-Turn (2023). Grusha Kapoor is also a casting director, known for Hawa (2003) and Jaanam Samjha Karo (1999).
In 2021, she acted in the web series Hey Prabhu! 2, which streamed on MX Player.
- In 2021, Grusha Kapoor was awarded the Indian Television Academy Award for the Best Supporting Actress Limited Series – OTT for the web series Hey Prabhu! 2 The Times of India
- In 2004, she was nominated for Best Actress in a Negative Role category at the Indian Telly Award for portraying the role of Lalita Devi in the television show Kehta Hai Dil (2003).
- Grusha is very fond of cooking. She often posts pictures of several Indian dishes cooked by her on her social media account.
- Grusha Kapoor is an animal lover. She has two pet cats and a Shih Tzu dog.
- Grusha Kapoor was into sports and liked to play Tennis. However, she could not pursue Tennis because the training was expensive. In an interview, she talked about her ambition towards tennis and said,
My ambition was to become a tennis player. I had a stadium right in front of my house, but I could never learn tennis as the tennis racket and training were very expensive. My parents could not afford it. I was good at sports.”
- Grusha is a German name which means ‘wild horse’. It is also the name of the female protagonist in the play “The Caucasian Chalk Circle” by Bertolt Brecht. In an interview, Grusha revealed that her name was kept after the female protagonist by her father. She said,
Yes, my father named me after the compassionate and loving character from Caucasian Chalk Circle. He loved the play and the character and so decided to give me the same name.”