Dharmesh Yelande is an Indian dancer, choreographer, and actor. He is popularly known as ‘Dharmesh Sir.’
Dharmesh Yelande was born on Monday, 31 October 1983 (age 36 years; as in 2019) in the Vadodara City of Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
He did his schooling from Baroda High School, Vadodara. He took his dance training under Krishna Rao.
Height (approx.): 5’ 6”
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Dharmesh Yelande belongs to a Marathi Family but recognizes himself as a Gujarati. Times of India His father used to run a tea stall in Vadodara, and his mother is a homemaker.
He has two brothers; Vicky Yelande and Kalpesh Yelande.
He is in a relationship with Breshna Khan since 2016.
In 2007, Dharmesh Yelande participated in DD Nationals’s “Airtel Krazzy Kiya Re” and was the first runner up in the show.
In 2008, he participated in Sony TV’s “Boogie Woogie (TV series) Mahayudh” and was the winner of the show.
In 2009, he participated in Zee TVs “Dance India Dance (season 2)” and became the first runner up of the show.
He consecutively appeared in spin-off’s of the reality show, Dance India Dance (DID); DID Lil Champs as ‘Jeetumoni (Team Dharmesh),’ DID Doubles as ‘Geeta Kapoor’s assistant,’ Dance Ke Superkids as ‘Captain of Wakao team.’ In 2011, he participated in the show, Dance Ke Superstars and became the winner of the show. In 2013, he became the judge of the Colors Marathi show “MAD – MhanjeAssal Dancer.” Since 2015, he has been the captain of the dance reality show “Dance Plus” on Star Plus. In 2020, he contested the reality TV show “Khatron Ke Khiladi 10” on Colors TV.
In 2010, he made his debut as a choreographer with the title song of Bollywood film “Tees Maar Khan.” In 2013, he made his acting debut with the film “ABCD : Any Body Can Dance” as ‘Dharmesh/D.’
He has acted in many Bollywood films; ABCD 2 (2015), Banjo (2016), Nawabzaade (2018), and Street Dancer (2020). In 2020, he made his Gujarati film debut with the film ‘Safalta 0Km’.
- Food: Sev Usal
- Actors: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Irrfan Khan, Smit Pandya
He owns a Super Sport (Chevrolet) and Jeep Wrangler.
- He likes travelling, playing cricket, and partying.
- He is popularly known as Dharmesh sir. Sometimes, even his mother calls him ‘sir.’ Talking about how he got the moniker, he said,
A few years ago, my students had performed at one of the reality shows and the judges, including Geeta ma’am, were impressed. So when they asked them who their choreographer was, they said ‘Dharmesh sir’. My performance was scheduled after theirs and when the judges asked me if my choreographer was also ‘Dharmesh sir’, I told them sheepishly that I was Dharmesh. That’s how I became popular as Dharmesh sir.”
- He likes dogs and owns a pet dog named Coffee.
- He was passionate about dancing since his childhood. Prabhu Deva, and his mentor, Krishna Rao were his inspiration, and he used to copy Govinda’s moves. He began by learning break-dance and Bharatanatyam, and eventually, joined Krishna Rao’s dance classes.
- During his struggling days, he used to work as a peon. He later left his job as a peon and started to run a Sev Usal Laari stall, right next to his father’s tea stall. He did this in an effort to have more time for dancing.
- At the beginning of his career, he used to be a background dancer for the Gujarati superstars like Hitu Kanodia, Naresh Kanodia, and Vikram Thakor.
- He has also acted in Bhojpuri films.
- He also considers Remo D’Souza as one of his biggest inspiration. According to him,
Remo Sir is also a mindblowing dancer. Whenever I meet him, it’s only dance that we discuss. He’s a person with such wonderful dance techniques that one is left simply wondering ‘Ki kya idea hai bhai, yeh step to dhoom macha dega.”
- He runs a dance academy called ‘D’Virus Dance Academy’ in Vadodara.
- In an interview, he confessed that if not an actor, he would have been a cricketer.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Times of India|