Venugopal Dhoot is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman, CEO, and managing director of Videocon, an Indian multinational conglomerate. In 2022, he was arrested by CBI in the ICICI-Videocon loan fraud case.
Venugopal Nandlal Dhoot Videocon Industries was born on Sunday, 30 September 1951 (age 71 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at the College of Engineering, Pune University in Pune, Maharashtra. Videocon Industries
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Salt & pepper
Eye Colour: Dark brown
Venugopal Dhoot was born in a Hindu family in Mumbai, India.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot, is the founder of Videocon Group.
He has two brothers named Rajkumar Nandlal Dhoot and Pradipkumar Nandlal Dhoot. Rajkumar Dhoot is a politician and businessman; he is a member of the Shiv Sena Party and promoter and co-owner of the Videocon Group of Companies. Pradipkumar Dhoot is a managing director of Videocon Hydrocarbon Holdings Limited. World Economic Forum
Wife & Children
He is married to Ramabai Dhoot, who is one of the board members of Videocon Group.
He has a son named Anirudh Dhoot, who is the director of Videocon Group.
In 1984, Videocon Group was founded by Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot. In 1985, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot decided to produce 1 Lakh TV sets every year. In an interview, Anirudh Dhoot claimed that Videocon was the first company to bring colour TVs to India. The Economic Times Venugopal Dhoot holds the directorships of Videocon Telecommunications Limited, Hindustan Oil Ventures Limited, Videocon Energy Limited, Jumbo Techno Services Private Limited, and Senior Consulting Private Limited. Reportedly, Venugopal Dhoot made Videocon one of the leading brands of Color TVs in India. In 2005, he was appointed as the managing director of Videocon Industries Limited. In 2010, he was re-appointed as the managing director of Videocon Group for five years.
The company owned 17 manufacturing sites in India and had manufacturing plants in many countries such as Mainland China, Mexico, Poland, and Italy. In June 2018, the company ceased trading nationally and overseas and entered bankruptcy proceedings after facing losses in its oil businesses.
ICICI Loan Fraud Case
In April 2018, CBI questioned Venugopal Dhoot regarding the ICICI-Videocon loan controversy. The CBI enquired him, Chanda Kochhar‘s husband, Deepak Kochhar, and some others to investigate the matter of allegedly sanctioning Rs. 3,250 crore ICICI loan to the Videocon Group. On 23 December 2022, the CBI arrested Chanda Kochhar and her husband, Deepak Kochhar for some alleged anomalies in the loan of Rs. 3,000 crores to Videocon Group by ICICI Bank, when the bank was headed by Chanda Kochhar. She was accused by the CBI of criminal conspiracy and cheating for reported anomalies in Rs. 3,250 crore loan to Videocon Group, which became non-performing assets (NPA) for the ICICI Bank in 2017. The Times of India According to sources, Deepak Kochhar, Chanda Kochhar‘s husband, founded a company named NuPower Renewables in partnership with Venugopal Dhoot. Venugopal Dhoot used the loan money granted by ICICI Bank for investing in NuPower Renewables. NDTV On 26 December 2022, Venugopal Dhoot was arrested by CBI for being involved in the ICICI Bank-Videocon Fraud case. The Telegraph
On 20 January 2023, he was granted interim bail by the Bombay High Court on a bail bond of Rs 1 lakh. The Hindu A chargesheet was filed by the CBI on 8 April 2023 against Chanda Kochhar, her husband Deepak Kochhar, and Venugopal Dhoot under Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust), among other provisions, under the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The Tribune
- 2005: Won Marathwada Bhushan Award
- 2006: Won Elcina Electronics Man of the Year Award (2005-2006)
Note: It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
- In 2008, he became the President of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) and the Electronic Industries Association of Marathwada.
- In 2009, he was in the 36th position on the ‘Top 50 Power List’ of the year.
- According to Forbes, he was ranked as the 61st richest person in India in 2015.
- He is one of the members of the Advisory Committee of Poona University Information Employment & Guidance and an adviser to the Government of Orissa for the industrial development of Orissa.
- In an event, ex-Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh, called Videocon ‘The Proud Face of Global India.’
- In 2011, his daughter, Tanushri Dhoot got married to Vivek Biyani, nephew of Kishore Biyani of Big Bazaar and Future Group. Many popular celebrities and businessmen attended the wedding including Shah Rukh Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Boney Kapoor, Sridevi, Poonam Dhillon, Gopinath Munde, Subash Chandra, Yash Chopra, Mohammed Azharuddin, and more.