Vandana Luthra is an Indian entrepreneur and is known for being the founder of VLCC Healthcare Ltd., a beauty and healthcare company.
Vandana Luthra was born on Sunday, 12 July 1959 (age 64; as of 2023) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. After her schooling at Mater Dei School and graduating from Lady Shriram College, Delhi University in 1979, Global Indian she did a course in nutrition and cosmetology from Karlsruhe, Germany. Inventia Business Magazine Furthermore, she has done a series of training programs in beauty, fitness, food and nutrition, and skincare from London, Munich, and Paris. After returning to India, she started her entrepreneurial journey with VLCC (Vandana Luthra Curls and Curves) in 1989 from New Delhi.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father Ram Arora was a mechanical engineer while her mother Kamini was an ayurvedic doctor who ran Amar Jyoti, a charitable ayurvedic initiative. She also has a brother whose name is unknown.
Husband & Children
Vandana Luthra got married to Mukesh Luthra (Chairman at VLCC Health Care Ltd.) in 1980. They were 16 and 18 years respectively when they met for the first time at a Christmas Party at a friend’s house in Gole Market, New Delhi.
They have two daughters together, Pallavi Luthra and Meera Bhatia.
She has four grandchildren (Avina, Yuvi, Vardaan, and Vidhaan.)
As an Entrepreneur
Vandana had a vision of bringing beauty and wellness to every Indian household and making her brand VLCC a household name. According to her, it was hard to establish herself as a woman entrepreneur in a male-dominated society. She opened her first outlet in Krishna Nagar, Safdarjung Enclave in New Delhi in 1989 by using her savings and taking a bank loan. In a video, Vandana explains that it was a running place that was about to shut down, a thousand square foot area in size, near a cow shed. VLCC India – YouTube She also collaborated with doctors and medical professionals to provide cosmetology services and weight management plans.
“My approach was scientific and I started working with doctors from day one. This worked in our favour too. From day one I was clear that the brand would not be a glamorous one. The center was a clinic and was projected in that very manner.”
Since then, VLCC has become a brand well-known in India as well as abroad (South Asia, South East Asia, the GCC region, and east Africa.) The company has expanded from being a wellness and beauty center to a training institute with over 90 VLCC Institutes of Beauty & Nutrition around the globe.
VLCC has its own R&D centers and Vandana makes sure that the company is always updated with the latest technology.
As an Author
Vandana Luthra published a book on wellness and fitness in 2011 named Complete Fitness Programme and in 2013 with the name A Good Life – The VLCC Way.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Padma Shri (2013)
- Woman Entrepreneur Award
- FICCI Successful Business Woman Award
- Amity Woman Achievers Award
- Outstanding Business Woman Award
- Fortune magazine’s 50 Most Powerful Women in Business in India (2011 to 2017)
- Forbes list of 50 Power Businesswomen
- Rajeev Gandhi Women Achiever Award
- “2020 Power Women” by Femina magazine
- Vandana Luthra’s biggest inspiration has been her mother who worked in a charitable initiative Amar Jyoti which aimed at educating children from kindergarten to grade 8. Her mother was also an ayurvedic doctor.
- VLCC, ever since its inception, has taken a lot of government-related initiatives including its contribution to the Jan-Dhan Yojana. Economic Times
- Vandana Luthra is the first chairperson of B&WSSC (Beauty and Wellness Sector Skill Council.) It is an organization that provides training in collaboration with the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana scheme to underskilled people from all over the country.
- Vandana is also a vice chairperson of the NGO Khushii which contains projects like the management of telemedicine centers and operates a remedial school that has more than 3,000 children.
- She is an active member of (MDNIY) Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, an organization under the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India that looks after Yoga Education, Planning, Promotion, Training, Therapy, and Research.
- Vandana has always been a spokesperson for women’s rights and empowerment since she started her business at times when it was hard for women to work. In fact, 70% of her training programs comprise women. VLCC – Official Website
- Vandana has inspired her own family members including her sons-in-law and grandchildren to follow a healthy routine. Your Story
- Being in the fitness industry, Vandana is good friends with Shilpa Shetty (Bollywood actress and entrepreneur.)
- Vandana and her husband have a tendency of spoiling each other with gifts and expensive gadgets. Telegraph India
- Vandana has been very passionate about eradicating obesity in India. She has organized several health drives (including ‘Take The Orange Pledge: Stand Up India’) for the same cause. However, she is also against the idea of being skinny and says that being slim is not always healthy.